Update and temp-root worked on Archos 32
Originally Posted by chulri
You need four things:
- An Archos Gen8 device (e.g. A101IT)
- Firmware 2.1.02
- Archos SDE
- My custom initramfs + kernel
* Sorry - can't post links - me = newbie here - lol
Many thanks for the links and the how to...
My first android device, first time flash/upgrade (2 weeks old). Took a guess that when uploading the files, they just go onto the root, it wasn't mentioned anywhere. Figured if it was the wrong location, nothing would be damaged.
Worked like a charm, even though I messed up the order due to file naming issues, downloaded in the order listed above, so file and file(2) were in the wrong order
. Both the firmware and SDE have the same filename, and I mixed them up on upload the first time due to listed and downloaded order above, but it just updated the firmware to 2.1.2, saved all my applications and settings. I then went back, put on the SDE, missed the reboot Vol- and it loaded the alt-OS Armstrong or something
, rebooted and did the firmware again just to be funny, then the temp-root, and it all work really well.
I luckily didn't brick it, although it took a super long time at the archos boot screen after the first push of firmware 2.1.2, seemed hung, so I restarted it, and it booted, checked and was upgraded. Not sure if I farked the process by restarting it while in that Archos boot screen or not, not sure if it was actually doing anything after 10 minutes, so took the chance. The firmware update progress bar goes quick, just took ages on that reboot. I hope it wasn't trying to convert the fs or something.
My quadrant score is still the same, between 1328 - 1447 depending on junk running in background when testing.
Market and Youtube
I had installed the market using that gApps4Archos2.apk when on 2.0.71 then killing the youtube.apk and downloading it from the market. Didn't have to do anything after the 2.1.2 firmware update this time since everything was in place. Tested youtube and it works.
Also tested the SMB issues that I and others were having, and they are not resolved. I can pull media from a Vista and XP accessing shares via SMB, but after playing a couple videos, it give either media server error, or file incomplete or damaged error. If I clear the media library and reboot, I can play those same files again until something is overloaded. Long files names, paths, or mixed, nested both seem to quicken the need for a reboot in my case. I have not tested on my debian box to see if it is a windows (mainly Vista) thing or not. I have noted that once I get these media server errors, even locally stored video give the error until rebooted. FWIW.
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 on /mnt/rawfs type rawfs (rw)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 on /mnt/system type ext3 (rw,nosuid,noexec,noatime,errors=continue,data=ord ered)
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 on /data type ext3 (rw,nosuid,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered)
At least the battery now can reach 100% and show "charged" instead of only reaching 99%. That is a plus.
Thanks again, I am just coming up to speed on this device and look forward to hacking it. I wonder if I can safely disassemble and upgrade the storage to a high speed mmc.
dmesg: mmc0: card is mmc v4 but doesn't support any high-speed modes.
this is going to be fun....
Keep up the great work...