Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,631 Members 50,907 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] Howto root easily your Gen8 device [fw 2.0.71 - 2.4.83] + R/W FILESYSTEM

Tip us?

argie
Old
(Last edited by argie; 4th February 2011 at 11:38 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdho View Post
Argie, the computer should recognize your ARCHOS as an external drive and you should be able to copy your firmware to that drive. I would recommend spending more time reading up on the Developer Forums so that you're comfortable with doing the firmware upgrade.
Thank you, sdho... and I appreciate you sparing me the sarcasm.

Forgive what may be another stupid question: where on the device should I copy the files? /sdcard? /sdcard/sdcard?

FIXED...! My computer recognized the F drive as A70S, but it was empty. This confused me, because I usually see the contents of sdcard. So I moved the two files to the "empty" storage and voila... it happened. Thanks a lot

chrulri
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by argie View Post
FIXED...! My computer recognized the F drive as A70S, but it was empty. This confused me, because I usually see the contents of sdcard. So I moved the two files to the "empty" storage and voila... it happened. Thanks a lot
Good to know that you're happy now Have fun.

strongergravity
Old
Thanks Meter 65
@churli: I just tried this today...and I gotta say I love it.

I'm gonna keep the original non-root in use for the kids (so the damage they can do is limited!).
<insert creative signature here>
The Following User Says Thank You to strongergravity For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chemical1der
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post
No problem will do. I just wanted to find out if anyone else was seeing this issue other than me. I really like your rooting method and want to use it except this issue. The backup's were made on ext4 system (Saurik) and restore is happening on fat32 system (yours). Can that be the cause of issue I am facing? if that is true then I don't mind installing the 40+ apps again and losing app data if that is the case.

On another note, this thread is excellent and instructions are great. I would recommend moving this to Gen 8 Android development section to get more visibility.
+1. Maybe we should PM the Mod about doing so? This is a fantastic rooting solution.

It seems like there are a fair amount of folks on this forum weary of flashing the SDE firmware (which is why Archangel's exploit was so popular). On the one hand I don't blame them. No one wants to void their warranty. On the other hand I don't think people realize how hard it is to really brick an android device. I've done some pretty crazy things to my Nook and Incredible and still recovered. Sorry for the digression.

chrulri
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
It has nothing to do with development, it's a howto and thus in general section.

btw: ~1500 downloads so far for the 2.1.xx releases

wdl1908
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulri View Post
It has nothing to do with development, it's a howto and thus in general section.

btw: ~1500 downloads so far for the 2.1.xx releases
Could you post the kernel config that you used to build these kernels?

RiWaLE
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default adfree issue 70 IT

let me get this straight: if i delete the android kernel root is permanent AND changes on the sys-partition will stay? My gf uses it from now on (and just at this moment, not possible to get it out of her hands), no way i tell her to boot into devmode every time she starts it

I installed adfree and it crashes mumbling about not being able to find a partition to remount as rw.

Maybe someone got a fast clue, will take a deeper look in understanding the partitions used in android. I'll glue together a short overview how archos flash is partitioned and what is used for what. IF i can get my hands back on it...

wdl1908
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWaLE View Post
let me get this straight: if i delete the android kernel root is permanent AND changes on the sys-partition will stay?
Yep every file you change overwrite will stay overwritten.

Erasure of files is not tried yet. I don't know how unionfs will react to that.

Quote:
I installed adfree and it crashes mumbling about not being able to find a partition to remount as rw.
Yep that's right it can't remount the filesystem but if you know what add-free does then you could do it manually and let it stick. AdFree probably wants to change the /etc/hosts file.

Quote:
Maybe someone got a fast clue, will take a deeper look in understanding the partitions used in android. I'll glue together a short overview how archos flash is partitioned and what is used for what. IF i can get my hands back on it...

chrulri
Old
(Last edited by chrulri; 5th February 2011 at 11:40 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdl1908 View Post
Erasure of files is not tried yet. I don't know how unionfs will react to that.
it does work. if you, for example, remove /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk unionfs creates the file /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app/.wh.TelephonyProvider.apk and thus it knows that this file is flagged as removed. of course this is persistent as well as new files or changed files.

edit: if you remove the .wh.* file, the original file is accessible again
Code:
$ su
# sh
# ls -al /system/app
# ls -al /mnt/system/app/system
# rm /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
# ls -al /system/app
# ls -al /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app
# rm /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app/.wh.TelephonyProvider.apk
# ls -al /system/app
# ls -al /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app

chrulri
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdl1908 View Post
Could you post the kernel config that you used to build these kernels?
I have not changed or recompiled the kernel. It's a 1:1 copy of the default Archos Android kernel.

Tags
archos, gen8, root