No registration required

Defy Update

OP scrannel

29th January 2011, 12:59 AM   |  #11  
Flag N. Central Illinois
Thanks Meter: 8

129 posts
More
Just downloaded it. Freed up about 70mb of RAM for me. Seems to be running smoother too. Booted twice which I was not prepared for. Still hoping for an official FroYo. After seeing the leaked release in the dev forum, I think it is a matter of time. If Samsung can release one for the Vibrant..... Yeah. But for now I can learn this like I learned my Win Mo.

EDIT: It appears that after this update I have lost root on my stock ROM. I cannot regain root through super1click nor z4root. Both fail to initialize. Super1 just locks up and z4 force closes. Not sure what could be the culprit. Did a factory data reset and am attempting to reinstall all apps including root.

EDIT: So yes it appears that indeed this has nullified my root access. Trying right now again with z4root and it is stuck in the attempting to apply root screen. Looks like Moto does not want their stuff messed with. Shoulda known better. Any ideas? I am really, really new to Android so I have been trying to avoid too much. Now that it force closed it looks like it will not let it do anything AND uninstalled it from my device. Will not let me install it again either. How nice. Glad I spent $ to be told what I can and can't do with my phone.
Last edited by slipknotfn; 29th January 2011 at 05:19 AM.
29th January 2011, 04:00 AM   |  #12  
Flag Monroe, MI
Thanks Meter: 31

155 posts
More
I have tried 3 times now to install this update, twice with the phone still rooted and once after unrooting and rebooting. Each time, I see the little Android guy next to an open box with a progress bar, which goes to about 1/3, then I get the triangle with ! inside next to the little Android guy. That isn't supposed to happen, right?

Judging by more recent posts about this update, it's just as well I can't install it.
Last edited by Telyx; 29th January 2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Recent posts stating not rootable after update, etc.
30th January 2011, 05:26 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
10 characters!
Last edited by Monkief_lingpu; 31st January 2011 at 05:09 AM.
30th January 2011, 08:51 PM   |  #14  
Flag Monroe, MI

155 posts
More
I deleted the music downloading apps, but FamilyRoom is still there. And I'm finding that a factory reset doesn't restore all that junk, so I still can't install the update. Poop.
31st January 2011, 07:07 PM   |  #15  

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telyx

I have tried 3 times now to install this update, twice with the phone still rooted and once after unrooting and rebooting. Each time, I see the little Android guy next to an open box with a progress bar, which goes to about 1/3, then I get the triangle with ! inside next to the little Android guy. That isn't supposed to happen, right?

Judging by more recent posts about this update, it's just as well I can't install it.

I'm having the same issue.

I've backed up all the bloatware onto another SD I removed with titanium, so I hope once putting those back on and unrooting will fix it.
1st February 2011, 05:34 AM   |  #16  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknotfn

EDIT: It appears that after this update I have lost root on my stock ROM. I cannot regain root through super1click nor z4root. Both fail to initialize. Super1 just locks up and z4 force closes. Not sure what could be the culprit.

I'm new to rooting and have the same problem, can't un-root, can't root after update. superoneclick stops at "reading OS version properties" when trying to root. Then says "super user not installed" when trying to un-root.

The worst part is the update reinstalled all that crap bloatware which is the reason I rooted in the first place. My bad for not un-rooting BEFORE I updated.
1st February 2011, 12:29 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 47

385 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdubbled

I'm new to rooting and have the same problem, can't un-root, can't root after update. superoneclick stops at "reading OS version properties" when trying to root...

I have this reading os version... problem as well. But an older version worked http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709
The Following User Says Thank You to ABC_Universal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st February 2011, 02:41 PM   |  #18  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 329

1,505 posts
More
Yes the 2.51 works well. It took me 30 seconds with that one for me.
1st February 2011, 05:08 PM   |  #19  
Flag htown

23 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telyx

same here- anyone here knows how to fix this issue?
Last edited by nhuloan; 1st February 2011 at 05:11 PM.
2nd February 2011, 12:53 AM   |  #20  
Flag Monroe, MI

155 posts
More
I finally got it figured out. My problem was that I deleted some "bloatware" files that, for some reason, are essential to have in order for the update to run. Assuming you did the same thing:

If you haven't already, use Z4Root to root your phone and then install the recovery app found in post 83 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=875233&page=9 . Run that recovery app in Recovery Boot mode, select Backup, and let it create a nandroid backup of your phone. That backup will end up in /goapkrev/backup on your SD card.

You'll need to download the ROM from post #39 on this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=880813&page=4 Unrar it, then copy the folder containing 4 files into /goapkrev/backup on your card.

Run Recovery again, but this time select Backup & Restore - Advanced Restore. Select the folder you just copied to your card (2010-12-31.15.54.38), then select Restore System and let it run. That will leave your apps and data untouched. After the restore, select the option to reboot the phone.

Download and install the update, then reboot.

After rebooting, you can re-root using SuperOneClick found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709 Don't forget to enable USB debugging first.

So far, so good
Last edited by Telyx; 3rd February 2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention downloading/installing the update!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telyx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread