FORUMS

Samsung Galaxy S6 To Receive Major Camera Update

When the Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge were launched, they became the prime focus for … more

Tactile: An Addicting Game with Beautiful Material Design

The game industry has been around for decades, catering to a wide … more

Android’s Consistency and The User Experience

This is a site of power users, and it is fair to say that most of us are more … more

Which Manufacturer (And Device) Made You Choose Android?

The beautiful thing about Android is that there is so much to choose from. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

HELP! G2 screen is black with white lines.

27th January 2011, 11:59 PM |#1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chi-City
Thanks Meter: 0

More
so my girlfriend's brother pushed her and she ended up falling on her phone. she tried to turn it on and what do you know, all you see is a black screen with white lines. anyone know the problem? do i just have to replace the LCD? thanks in advance.

28th January 2011, 12:14 AM |#2  
Flag Jersey
Thanks Meter: 1,591

More
Hopefully you have insurance, if so tell your girlfriends brother to cough up 130.

[G2/HTC Vision]
28th January 2011, 12:27 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chi-City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis86dr

Hopefully you have insurance, if so tell your girlfriends brother to cough up 130.

[G2/HTC Vision]

lol tmobile insurance is a joke. but i'm making him pay $200 to cancel one of my spare lines so i can give my GF one of the G2's that im selling. im hoping it doesn't come to that because i really don't want to do that. my guess is that i just need to replace the LCD. anyone care to chime in?
28th January 2011, 12:33 AM |#4  
Flag South Windsor
Thanks Meter: 11

Donate to Me
More
The impact could have damaged several internals. Without opening it up, you don't really know what you have to work with.
28th January 2011, 01:01 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chi-City

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz9690

The impact could have damaged several internals. Without opening it up, you don't really know what you have to work with.

good point. i was planning on taking it apart tomorrow

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
28th January 2011, 11:23 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chi-City

More
Anyone?

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
29th January 2011, 12:58 AM |#7  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 3

More
RE
i had a similar problem with my phone ... my screen went white with random black lines on it ... i might have sat with the phone in my pocket earlier not too sure ... anyways so the screen wouldn't show anything but the phone worked otherwise, i can hear it receiving notifications, and i can even receive phone calls and answer them if I slide my finger across the screen ... the phone was rooted, and i wasn't able to do a hard reset on it ...

took the phone back to bell on the 3rd, and last monday i heard back from them saying that the LCD was cracked and needed replacement ... which is not covered under the waranty since it's a physical damage and it would cost $150 CND to replace it ... should be getting the phone back this monday...
Last edited by awsrasool; 29th January 2011 at 01:01 AM.
29th January 2011, 01:45 AM |#8  
Flag Burlington
Thanks Meter: 11

More
After replacing my Desire Z via FutureShop warranty (for battery issues) I somehow ended up with the lines on my screen Christmas eve, however the LCD was not cracked. The lines would move around and change in brightness as I did things on the phone (opening apps, flipping keyboard out, etc). If the lines don't move then it's more likely a crack in the screen. My issue was more likely a faulty ribbon/connection. I carry my phone in an inner breast pocket on my winter jacket, so I definitely didn't crush it or anything, either.

So back to FutureShop I went, only a week after the first replacement, and they gave me another new one right away. Between 2 stores that I have visited my 2 replacements are supposedly the only 2 replacements that have been done since the phone launched.

My 3rd one seems to be doing well, no battery issues, so far no screen issues.

I guess my point is, if you can get a phone from a retailer that offers a decent warranty, do it. I bought my phone outright at $500, the warranty was $10 a month.. I fell for it, but I'm very very glad that I did. Although HTC may have covered me, I would have been without the phone for a lot of time, and once they found out that I'd unlocked it they probably would have left me in the cold.
29th January 2011, 10:05 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 430

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflux

good point. i was planning on taking it apart tomorrow

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

I had exactly the same, it is very very likely that "only" the LCD that is broken.

I got an replacement from from ebay (it's about 60 USD) and replaced it following IntuitiveNipples teardown guide at http://tjworld.net/blog/htc-desire-z-tear-down

Its' a little bit of fiddling but in the end not that complicated (tryin to remember which screws should go into which place was the hardest part)
29th January 2011, 02:16 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Chi-City

More
Thanks for the input guys. Very much appreciate it. Looks like ill order the lcd when I get my next paycheck :eek:

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread