Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,690 Members 48,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

{GUIDE} Perm-rooting the HTC EVO Shift!!! Recovery added

Tip us?

MrTrip
Old
(Last edited by MrTrip; 19th April 2011 at 06:42 AM.)
Thanks Meter 5
Disregard this message, I don't read instructions

DaveInSanAntonio
Old
(Last edited by DaveInSanAntonio; 20th April 2011 at 07:04 AM.) Reason: My sig is wrong.
Thanks Meter 0
Default Newly Rooted EVO Shift

The process worked for me. I used Visionary. Also, I kept getting the error saying my fone was not connected properly to HTC Sync, which I ignored.

I did not uninstall SuperUser after I pushed the hack and I went right into trying to permroot...

So when I rebooted after that, I went right to terminal and tried to su root, which was of course denied. That was my check to see if the root took, which it had not because I had not deleted SuperUser prior to attempting permroot.

I installed the Clockwork ROM Manager and did a backup or two.

Got tethered up (using now, BTW). The Hero got real hot... this one is still cool to the touch, actually warmed up more when rooting.

Gonna figure out what to do next.

Thanks to all who helped get to this point!

-Dave

---
HTC Evo Shift
-Stock. Rooted.
Sprint Samsung Galaxy SIII (SPH-L710)
-CM 10.1.3-d2spr (Stable) / Android 4.2.2 JB / Kernel 3.4.53-cyanogenmod
-TWRP Recovery v2.6.0.0

assasinbob
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Works great

I had to reboot a few times even though the recovery said S-OFF. Eventually i got z4root to get the job done. For some reason visionary+ would temp root and then refuse to do the perm-root. Flashed CM7 stable, everything works, but gps doesn't work for me, don't know if its my fault tho, or a bug, or my bad luck XP

thronnos
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Could someone explain step 1 and 3 for me if I'm using android terminal emulator. I tried it but nothing happened. My device is temprooted. I download the file into the download folder. I use root explorer to extract it... where?? I tried a couple places even the root folder (Its not in SD card) then once its good how do I check the md5 from the terminal. I type Su to get permission then what? The string in the post doesn't seem to do anything no matter how I type it. Or maybe I just don't know the command. I'm fairly new to this kinda thing. :/

finalhit
Old
Thanks Meter 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thronnos View Post
Could someone explain step 1 and 3 for me if I'm using android terminal emulator. I tried it but nothing happened. My device is temprooted. I download the file into the download folder. I use root explorer to extract it... where?? I tried a couple places even the root folder (Its not in SD card) then once its good how do I check the md5 from the terminal. I type Su to get permission then what? The string in the post doesn't seem to do anything no matter how I type it. Or maybe I just don't know the command. I'm fairly new to this kinda thing. :/
The root of your sd card is in /sdcard
Thats where you extract the files into. Once you do that, the commands should work.

If not, you need to be more descriptive with what's going on when you do it. I very much doubt they do nothing, unless you're doing something completely wrong. They should be spitting out error messages.

i dont need a signature

thronnos
Old
Thanks Meter 305
The numbers don't match. I'm getting d41d8cd98f00b2o4e9800998ecf8427e. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

finalhit
Old
(Last edited by finalhit; 29th April 2011 at 04:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 217
There are multiple things that you do a md5check on. You gotta be more specific on what doesnt match.

If its one of the files you downloaded... redownload the file. You probobly got a bad download.

If its one of your post-flash pulls for testing, reflash and try again.

And again, be more descriptive about where you're having problems, people would have an easier time helping. Just say which step you're doing, where you're getting stuck, etc.

i dont need a signature

thronnos
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Ok, I dl from the link. aboove. I'll do it again and when I check the string like it says, the number that I posted is different from the one in the instructions for both the checks actually. The number never changed. Lol. Well, I'm trying again

teedmon87
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Question help

im falling the steps but i cant find the path directory to open sdk in cmd promt
like can you help im lost i need a step by step for idiots and no one else seems to have a perm root for the shift
sd

thronnos
Old
Thanks Meter 305
Ok, this problem just started. I have root access. Android terminal emulator has superuser permission but when I check the md5sum. /sdcard/shift/hboot_original.bin it tells me permission denied