Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,336 Members 36,520 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] BT Serial Service on Polaris to connect to Mac

Tip us?

Bladergroen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] BT Serial Service on Polaris to connect to Mac

Hi, hopefully someone can help me with the following question :

I just flashed my Polaris100 to Android 2.2, which works very good now. I'd like to use this device with the XCSoar navigation program, which normally gets its GPS data via the built in GPS.
During winter I'd like to connect my polaris to my Mac via Bluetooth using the serial port service, so that XCSoar can get it's NMEA data from my soaring simulator (SilentWings). So I need to transfer NMEA data from my Mac to my Polaris. This helps me to practice during the winter period. In WM6.1 this was easily done, because:

a) the serial service was build in
b) all used com-ports were shown in the settings menu or could be hacked to show/be edited.

So my questions are:

a) how can I activate the serial service in Android
b) how can I see which com-port is then used for my polaris BT connection (I need to set this port in XCSoar as external device)

I could not find a workable solution on the www or on this forum. I mean "workable", because most solutions or discussions are written in very technical terms and code, but I am an end-user and not familiar with all these terms. I do not know terminal commands as well...

Thanks for your help, Reno

我是春哥
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've never used Bluetooth, I connected to the computer through USB

Bladergroen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Eh... what do you suggest by that? Although USB stands for Universal Serial Bus, it isn't recognized by the GPS app as a com-port. As I understood in that case I need a usb-serial service on both my mac as my android, right?
So can you be more specific and tell me how to do it with a usb connection?

Thanks, R.
Tags
android, bluetooth, gps, polaris, serial