Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 41,700 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ProjectM (Milkdrop) for Android

Tip us?

WACOMalt
Old
(Last edited by WACOMalt; 31st January 2011 at 08:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 547
Default ProjectM (Milkdrop) for Android

So I was searching though Motorola's source code the other day for the Droid X, and I stumbled upon a visualization folder. Looked inside, and to my surprise I see folders labeled as "projectm" Which is the open source port of the beautiful Milkdrop plugin for Winamp on Windows (to my knowledge).

So I dug around a bit, but not being a developer I couldn't figure much out.

Today though I was creating a shortcut to an activity in LP. And I saw "Visualization" category In there there is an activity to start the visualization!

I also finally found where the visualization was originally implemented. I reinstalled Motorola's stock music app, and saw the visualizations there.

So anyways, now that I see the source code is already there, and I am trying to learn android development, I am going to try to get it running as a live wallpaper, and also try to improve on it a bit, as it renders pretty low res, and doesn't seem very optimized.

I am not sure if this is a full port, or just enough to run the few presets Moto included.

But at current I figured I would share with you all how to get the Moto version of this app running Hopefully I can get my standalone version/live wallpaper working soon!

Also, not sure if I can post Moto's apk for those that dont have it. someone let me know.

Screenshot of it running standalone. It reacts to any Media audio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP201101301347.jpg
Views:	17947
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	504430  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WACOMalt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

enp82003
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Dude If you actually get this running as a stand alone for other phones I will help fund your development of this! check my other post been trying to get this done for awhile! so happy you made this post!

uio88
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Please can you send to me the apk via pm?
i also tried to port it on my acer liquid

enp82003
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Wondering how Development was going? I talked to a Dev named kholk who said he would help me and work on this as well.
The Dev seemed really nice and willing to help said he wanted to do it for free.

kholk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3799

DONATE TO ME
It's interesting! And it looks funny

Anyway, if we don't have a Motorola phone we can't use them legally speaking...

...but if you upload them and post them here saying that if you haven't got a moto phone you shouldn't download it... well... not your problems

P.S.: I'm looking into it, but this week I'm not at home. If someone anticipates me, well.. good. Otherwise you have to wait for some days :/

enp82003
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kholk View Post
It's interesting! And it looks funny

Anyway, if we don't have a Motorola phone we can't use them legally speaking...

...but if you upload them and post them here saying that if you haven't got a moto phone you shouldn't download it... well... not your problems

P.S.: I'm looking into it, but this week I'm not at home. If someone anticipates me, well.. good. Otherwise you have to wait for some days :/
Awesome Man! Take as long as want its awesome someone is actually trying to do this was at the gym the other night thinking about how cool it would be to have some visualizations to look at while doing cardio.

WACOMalt
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 547
Sorry for the lack of updates recently. It seems the project died before it started for me. I simply dont have the time now. (I just got a bunch more web work to do. Yay!)

The source is of course open via motorola, just download the Droid X motorola source code and its in there.

Good luck to whoever tries to do it! And please keep me posted

oka1
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 3705

DONATE TO ME
interesting................hope you get it ported

enp82003
Old
Thanks Meter 4
would be sure to donate if anyone could get this working... Sorry to see you end development WACOMalt =( hopefuly some other devs will jump on this project like kholk! =) donations will be made who ever can get this thing going. Also would be a first for this app i been searching google for awhile and a lot of people want something like this.

enp82003
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Sorry for double posting just wondering if anyone is still working on this?