5,599,478 Members 38,339 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flash back to stock Android rom

Tip us?

Conner85
Old
(Last edited by Conner85; 5th February 2011 at 09:12 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flash back to stock Android rom

Is a backup made with Rom Manager good enough to flash back to the stock rom or do I need an SBF?

Alltel Motorola Milestone A854 / Droid CyanogenMod 6.1.2.

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Not sure if bumping is allowed but I'm gonna bump this.

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone at all?

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've read that a nandroid backup won't work if you're going from 2.2.1 back to 2.1.1 because the kernel won't change back to stock and will cause problems. Using Rom Manager, or whatever possible, how can I find the stock kernel and go back to my stock rom so I can take my phone in to get serviced? And after I go back to stock, will my nandroid backup replace all my apps and settings? Anyone at all? I will pm my number to anyone interested in helping if you don't feel like typing out a how-to.

Extra info..

Phone: Motorola Milestone A854 (CDMA) and yes, it is the Droid, but distributed by Alltel as the Milestone.
Carrier: Alltel
Current rom: CyanogenMod 6.1.2
Rooted with Universal Androot
Using Rom Manager

If anyone could provide me with a backup of the stock rom, I would really appreciate it.

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
These are the things I need..

Kernal version: 2.6.29-omap1dcn637@zch45lnxdroid24 #1

Build number: MILER_X1_00.26.1

Baseband version: C_01.07.00R

My mom and brother have the same phones and one is stock and the other is rooted. How would I make a backup of one of theirs and put it on mine?

Captainkrtek
Old
Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 545
A Nandroid backup of a stock ROM will work to restore back, as for flashing someone elses backup despite being the same device will not work the best as their device is configured differently most likely.
Captainkrtek

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So being on CyanogenMod-6.1.2-Droid (Froyo 2.2.1) and having a stock nandroid backup of the Alltel Milestone/Droid stock 2.1.1 Eclair will work? I've been hearing so many things about flashing back to 2.1.1 from 2.2.1 being bad because it will brick your phone.

Currently I have:

Model number: Droid
Android version: 2.2.1
Baseband version: C_01.07.00R
Kernel: 2.6.32.9-cm-stkmtwebster@eng-laptop #1
Mod version: CyanogenMod-6-1-2-Droid
Build version: FRG83D

Quote:
as for flashing someone elses backup despite being the same device will not work the best as their device is configured differently most likely.
But wouldn't making a backup of their current apps and settings, wiping their phone, reinstalling a program to back up the stock (untouched but rooted) rom and then restoring their backup work? Because then, while their phone is in a clean state, I won't be copying any of their personal data. I'm just making a guess here.

I'm not doubting at all what you're saying. I just want to make sure I do the right and best thing to go back to stock.

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I was thinking.. since the Canadian Milestones are CDMA like the US Alltel Milestones, I could probably download one of the SBF recoveries from here http://and-developers.com/sbf:milestone and just swap APNs. But would I run into things such as the baseband and market being incompatible?

What is everyone else's thoughts on this? Or would I be better off getting the Verizon Droid 2.1 update 1 SBF recovery?

I do have a nandroid backup of my Alltel 2.1 update 1. So would I just flash one of those recoveries and the restore my backup? I need some input, experts!

DirkGently
Old
Thanks Meter 1478
Restoring your Nandroid will do what you need it to do.

Conner85
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
And it won't mess up because of mismatched kernels?