F22's Latest Rootfs (Apr 19th, 2011) Highlandsun's RIL Support Patches Merged + More
April 19, 2011 Update #2 -
Second new rootfs of the day for those who want to use Hylandsun's RIL. The old sed line bug was inadvertently reintroduced in the merge request. It's now fixed.
April 19, 2011 Update #1 -
A new init.android binary has been added to the rootfs version that supports Hylandsun's RIL. It was missing from the patches in the merge request used to make yesterday's build.
April 18, 2011 Update -
Highlandsun's rootfs RIL support patches have been merged into my rootfs. There are now two versions, a vanilla version without support for his ril, and a second version with all the rootfs patches needed to support it. Note that you'll still need the RIL and any other modifications he may have made to the system.ext2 partition. See the changelog below for other additions.
I've overhauled -ALL- of the rhodium keymaps and layouts and added lots of new keys. I'm thus making a rootfs image available for testing before these changes get submitted to the git tree. It is built from the latest stock rootfs (Feb. 5th) with my modifications added on top. Changes from the stock rootfs include:
1) Key Map/Layout Sets Added and/or Fixed:
Support for the rhod100_es (European Spanish), rhod100_nl (Dutch), and rhod110 (Australian) keyboards has been added. Bombenbach's umlaut fixes have been incorporated into the rhod100_de (German) keymap.
2) Camera Button:
Rhod300/Tilt2's have their push to talk button assigned to camera by default. All other rhodium models have the option to reassign front panel button #4 (end) to CAMERA by adding gpiokeyopts=b4CAMERA to set cmdline in startup.txt. See note underneath (2) for info on losing ENDCALL.
3) Home Button:
There are three possibilities for those desiring a HOME button whose long press will open up the recent apps list:
- Reassign the end button to HOME by adding gpiokeyopts=b4HOME to set cmdline in startup.txt.
- Reassign the power button to HOME and the end button to POWER by adding gpiokeyopts=b4POWER-powerHOME to set cmdline in startup.txt.
- Reassign the call button to HOME by changing physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model> to physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME on set cmdline in startup.txt.
NOTE: If you reassign the end button you will lose its ability to end calls. You can still end a call by pressing Menu and then tapping end call. Alternately you can go into Settings->Accessibility and check the box that says: Power Button Ends Call. This will give the power button the additional ability to end calls during a call. If you've reassigned the power button via option (2) above, then this will be your old end button.
4) SYM Key:
The symbol key now works.
5) Ctrl Key:
The control key now works within Terminal Emulator, ConnectBot and other apps that recognize dpad_center (sometimes referred to as the "jogball") as ctrl. On the rhodium 300, 400 and 500's which don't have a printed ctrl key, this functionality has been assigned to the OK (300/Tilt2), SMS (400) and star (500) keys respectively. Do not hold this key down. Simply press it once much like you would the shift or alt keys before pressing the appropriate letter.
6) Search Key & Shortcuts:
The Envelope key is now Search. Holding down Envelope and pressing another key also acts as a shortcut. By default:
- envelope+b opens up the browser.
- envelope+c opens up contacts.
- envelope+e opens up email.
- envelope+g opens up gmail.
- envelope+l opens up the calendar.
- envelope+p opens up the music player.
- envelope+s opens up messaging.
All rhodiums now have the ability to reassign front panel button #4 (end) to SEARCH as well by adding gpiokeyopts=b4SEARCH to set cmdline in startup.txt.
For the complete list along with the ability to assign/reassign them go to Settings>Applications>Quick launch
7) Rhod300/Tilt2 - Search Key & Shortcuts:
No dedicated envelope key is present (it shares a button with "," ), but the home keyboard key and/or the push to talk key may be reassigned to Search
by extending the physkeyboard=tilt2 or physkeyboard=rhod300 entry in startup.txt to physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH
, or for both, physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH
8) Rear Mute Button
- This button now mutes the mic during calls.
9) Lots of other keys added.
All keyboards get all of the characters commonly found on desktop keyboards including, but not limited to, braces, brackets, the pipe, the tilde, the backslash, the backquote, and inequality symbols. And yes, the Italian keyboard finally gets the "?" character! See the spreadsheet available under downloads below for details on all the additions for each rhodium model. It is saved in the open document spreadsheet format.
- Git Pull: add sysfs amber led and auto_backlight write support
- Significantly Reduced rootfs size by deleting unneeded overhead.
- Reduced 7zip dictionary size from 16MB to 1MB to enable decompression directly on the TP2.
- The Spanish Rhod100 keyboard (rhod100_es) is now supported. Mewzicki's adjustments have been merged in with mine.
- Git Pull: gingerbread: Decouple libs from rootfs, use versions provided in /system.
- Updated Init Logic - gpio key options now prefixed with "gpiokeyopts=", so b4HOME is now gpiokeyopts=b4HOME
- New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4POWER-powerHOME - reassigns the power button to home and the end button to power.
- New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4SEARCH - reassigns the end button to search.
- New Option: gpiokeyopts=b4CAMERA - reassigns the end button to camera, requires working camera.
- New Option: physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME - reassigns the call button to home.
Feb 10thFeb 9th
- Rhod110: Added missing symbolic link to fix key layout.
- Rhod300/Tilt2: Changed the keycodes assigned to the ! and @ keys to alternatives that are less likely to cause issues, and thus work more reliably.
- Git Pull: New libsensor (fixes the system_server bug, please report back on this).
- Git Pull: Memory Handling Fix.
Feb 2nd b
- Git Pull: New RIL (Radio Interface Library).
- Support for rhod110 added.
Feb 2nd a
- Bug Fix: Startup options tilt2-pttSEARCH, tilt2-homeSEARCH, rhod300-pttSEARCH and rhod300-homeSEARCH now correctly assign SEARCH when selected.
- Bug Fix: Corrected typo in rhod500 microp layout file preventing it from loading.
Rootfs Image - rootfs-f22-20110418-aaf47ce.img.7z
- Bug Fix: Created missing link which prevented the tilt2 microp layout file from being copied to the right place.
- Added default keymap/layout set (rhod100_uk) for rhodium if none specified.
(Updated Apr. 18th - see changelog above for details.)
Rootfs Image w/Highlandsun RIL support - rootfs-f22-hyc-20110419-e96477d.img.7z
(Updated Apr. 19th - Fixed bad sed line in init, Added missing init.android binary.)
Complete Key Listing Spreadsheet - f22_pub_rhodium_keymap_project_20110418.ods
(Updated April 18th - now includes new Spanish Key Map keys.)
Download the rootfs image listed above.
Unzip the file via the 7zip utility.
Rename it to rootfs.img.
Drop it into your android boot folder.
If you wish to reassign the end button to something else, then add/edit one of the following to set cmdline in startup.txt:
If you wish to reassign the call button to home, then change physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model> to physkeyboard=<your_rhod_model>-b1HOME. Examples:
If you have a Rhod300/Tilt2 and wish to reassign either the home keyboard key or the push to talk button to search, then change physkeyboard=tilt2 in startup.txt to:
- physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-homeSEARCH
- physkeyboard=rhod300-pttSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-pttSEARCH
- physkeyboard=rhod300-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH or physkeyboard=tilt2-homeSEARCH-pttSEARCH
Note that the b1HOME option given in (6) above may be tacked on also. Examples:
Restart your phone in Android.
If you remapped your endcall button to something else and would like to now assign your power button the ability to end calls while within a call, go to to Settings->Accessibility and check the box that says: Power Button Ends Call.
Download the Complete Key Listing spreadsheet above if you're interested in seeing the complete list.
Enjoy your new keys.