Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,428 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Win32 Disk Imager error

Tip us?

Tom S.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Win32 Disk Imager error

I'm receiving the following error when trying to use Win32 disk imager to make a backup copy (read) of my Micro SD card with nookie installed:

"An error occurred when trying to get the devices geometry. Error 8:".

I've done a bit of searching on this but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Is there a good alternate?

slugbug2010
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
I'm receiving the following error when trying to use Win32 disk imager to make a backup copy (read) of my Micro SD card with nookie installed:

"An error occurred when trying to get the devices geometry. Error 8:".

I've done a bit of searching on this but can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Is there a good alternate?
Man it took me HOURS to figure it out. I had the EXACT SAME problem (when trying to copy the auto-nooter img to my sd card).

I think what finally worked was:
*make SURE you open and run as Administrator (right click on the Disk Imager and select Run as Administrator)
*AND after you've selected the the sd card drive GET OUT OF IT. Click on any other drive or close that explorer window all together.

I hope this helps. I feel your pain.
HTC EVO 3D
Rom: warmRomsTwoPointThree
hboot 1.5, Root via HTC unlock Bootloader, HW 0002
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nook Color - CM7 ntly 102 / OC'd 1.2
Honeycomb 3D Theme / 2900+ Quad score

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slugbug2010 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tom S.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug2010 View Post
Man it took me HOURS to figure it out. I had the EXACT SAME problem (when trying to copy the auto-nooter img to my sd card).

I think what finally worked was:
*make SURE you open and run as Administrator (right click on the Disk Imager and select Run as Administrator)
*AND after you've selected the the sd card drive GET OUT OF IT. Click on any other drive or close that explorer window all together.

I hope this helps. I feel your pain.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm paranoid now though, as I removed my nookie froyo on SD and I lost all of my applications. I guess I'm supposed to do a save to SD card, right?

slugbug2010
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S. View Post
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I'm paranoid now though, as I removed my nookie froyo on SD and I lost all of my applications. I guess I'm supposed to do a save to SD card, right?
I think in your original post you are just trying to backup your sd card, right?

I've done that with my NC and my Evo and every time all I do is huck up via usb, open the drive, create a folder in my C drive (Nook, Evo), and then copy, paste. I then transfer most things to an external HD.

So to backup your sd card all you have to do is copy and paste it somewhere else. DON'T wipe it if you have things saved on there that you need to have run off your NC.
HTC EVO 3D

Tom S.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The problem with the nookie use is that your card doesn't show up as a mountable drive under windows. You have to use something like dropbox.
Hold on, I hate to admit this, but I mixed up the SD cards when I pulled them out. I have 2; one of which I had a vanilla image of nookie on. The right one (the one I spent hours on), is fine. Doh.

slugbug2010
Old
Thanks Meter 151
So you are all good and set to go?
HTC EVO 3D

mckooter
Old
Thanks Meter 18
if possible use ubuntu for this (you can do it from a live cd)

i had nothing but issues with windows and win32diskimager and burning sd cards (p.s. windows has no good sd card partitioners that im aware of)

dd is the best way to burn the image, and you can use gparted (if installed) to recover the sd after your done (if your like me and burn sd cards like its no body's business (its not))
Phone......: Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 [ParanoidAndroid v0.5]
Phone2.....: Samsung Captivate [CM10ish Alpha]

Progression: HTC Wizard -> iPhone 3G -> 3GS -> 4 -> Captivate -> Inspire 4g -> Focus Flash -> Infuse 4g -> OneXL -> Note N7000

The above may be incorrect... I flash a lot

Tom S.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug2010 View Post
So you are all good and set to go?
Yes. I'm going to transfer this image to my new class 10, and then use this card to put Honeycomb on...

Homer_S_xda
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckooter View Post
if possible use ubuntu for this (you can do it from a live cd)

i had nothing but issues with windows and win32diskimager and burning sd cards (p.s. windows has no good sd card partitioners that im aware of)

dd is the best way to burn the image, and you can use gparted (if installed) to recover the sd after your done (if your like me and burn sd cards like its no body's business (its not))
Under Windows, use EASEUS Partition Manager, currently on version 7.01. Free for home use. You can resize partitions or remove them all to reuse the card for another image or whatever. Also, Win32DiskImager is on 0.2-r23-win32. It will restore or create backups just fine. Both are fine for working with Honeycomb and Froyo images.

Mounting the partitions is another issue. I haven't dabbled in Cygwin, never could get it working right. Best use Ubuntu for that, I've got the Netbook edition of 10.10 dual booting with Win 7 x64, long story.

Homer

Tom S.
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
New error:

"An error occurred when attempting to read data from handle error 8:"

This is nuts. Windows 7x64, run as admin, not in any folder, antivirus off, and carbonite off (who knows). Ideas?

Oh, it always seems to get to 49%. Plenty of disk space free too.