FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more

Sunday Debate: Custom ROMs vs. Modular Tweaks

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Mods and ROMs. Come with your opinions and feel free to … more

AOSP 5.1 Lollipop for Nexus Q

Google Nexus Q is an intriguing device released with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It was abandoned by … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Will LG's Bootloaders be locked?

8th March 2011, 01:47 AM |#71  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Boot.img

Here is a link to a boot.img extracted using the instructions found in this thread for a Production Model Korean Optimus 2x (SU-660) (this is not a demo phone, but an actual store-bought phone). Version info:

Model Number: LG-SU660
Android version: 2.2.1 (didn't upgrade for fear of losing root)
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number: FRG83.star.20110119
Software Version: LG-SU660-V10g Jan 19 2011

can anyone tell me if this boot.img is signed/encrypted/anything bad?
The Following User Says Thank You to cvitur1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
8th March 2011, 07:56 AM |#72  
xmoo's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Eindhoven
Thanks Meter: 1,803
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony_Ericsson_X10

@nrkabul

cat /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 > /mnt/sdcard/tmp_images/boot.img

Can't we do the same ish like HTC to get perm root and security off.
The Following User Says Thank You to xmoo For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2011, 07:59 AM |#73  
mirsalimov's Avatar
Member
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 22
 
Donate to Me
More
Boot image from optimus 2x global version.
Model Number: LG-P990
Android: 2.2.2
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Build number: FRG83G
LGE Version: LGP990-V10a

If there is no encryption, can we add support for clockworkmod?

update:
I have requested source code from LG. Now waiting for answer.
Last edited by mirsalimov; 8th March 2011 at 01:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mirsalimov For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th March 2011, 09:05 AM |#74  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 173
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirsalimov

Boot image from optimus 2x global version.
Model Number: LG-P990
Android: 2.2.2
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Build number: FRG83G
LGE Version: LGP990-V10a

If there is no encryption, can we add support for clockworkmod?

update:
I have requested source code from LG.

if this is true it would kickstart development for the 2x for sure, great news! Considering to get one if it will become well supported by dev/cm community for sure
8th March 2011, 12:21 PM |#75  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
So if i read this topic right, there is no encryption or signing of the LG optimus 2X bootloader (still i dont get the difference between locked and unlocked if in fact the signing or encryption prove to be the biggest deal).

Will it Therefore be only a matter of time (and hard work i guess) before the options arise to use custom roms on this device?
Last edited by scsp; 8th March 2011 at 12:31 PM.
8th March 2011, 12:48 PM |#76  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 115
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsp

So if i read this topic right, there is no encryption or signing of the LG optimus 2X bootloader (still i dont get the difference between locked and unlocked if in fact the signing or encryption prove to be the biggest deal).

Will it Therefore be only a matter of time (and hard work i guess) before the options arise to use custom roms on this device?

The difference between locked and unlocked is that unlocked you can write to system partitions (i.e. custom roms, recoveries, and so forth)

If you can't unlock the bootloader (i.e. fastboot oem unlock) then you're basically not able to make custom roms.

However, locked bootloaders have been easier to hack than signed or encrypted bootloaders.
8th March 2011, 12:56 PM |#77  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISKER_Q

The difference between locked and unlocked is that unlocked you can write to system partitions (i.e. custom roms, recoveries, and so forth)

If you can't unlock the bootloader (i.e. fastboot oem unlock) then you're basically not able to make custom roms.

However, locked bootloaders have been easier to hack than signed or encrypted bootloaders.

thanks for the quick response, and for making things clear.
So this device's bootloader is only locked?
8th March 2011, 01:19 PM |#78  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 115
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsp

thanks for the quick response, and for making things clear.
So this device's bootloader is only locked?

I can't say for certain, it apears that it is pretty certain it's not signed or encrypted, but it likely will be locked.
8th March 2011, 01:27 PM |#79  
mirsalimov's Avatar
Member
Flag The Hague
Thanks Meter: 22
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi007

The boot image is from a pre-sale sample.

The Hidden menu can be accessed by going to Settings--About phone--Hidden menu
You have to scroll down all the way to find it. It is enabled in my 2.2.1 testing ROM.

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App

Thanks! but in 2.2.2 hidden menu is disabled
8th March 2011, 05:10 PM |#80  
Member
Flag Orsa, Sweden
Thanks Meter: 154
 
Donate to Me
More
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvitur1

Boot.img

Here is a link to a boot.img extracted using the instructions found in this thread for a Production Model Korean Optimus 2x (SU-660) (this is not a demo phone, but an actual store-bought phone). Version info:

Model Number: LG-SU660
Android version: 2.2.1 (didn't upgrade for fear of losing root)
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9
Build Number: FRG83.star.20110119
Software Version: LG-SU660-V10g Jan 19 2011

can anyone tell me if this boot.img is signed/encrypted/anything bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirsalimov

Boot image from optimus 2x global version.
Model Number: LG-P990
Android: 2.2.2
Kernel: 2.6.32.9
Build number: FRG83G
LGE Version: LGP990-V10a

If there is no encryption, can we add support for clockworkmod?

update:
I have requested source code from LG. Now waiting for answer.

I can not see any sign of a signature or something similar in the boot.img from the global or korean version
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes