Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,304 Members 40,917 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How do you delete HUGE text threads!?!?!

Tip us?

BAttitude7689
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Default [Q] How do you delete HUGE text threads!?!?!

i have been lazy and got behide on text messages and now i have a couple really big threads some around 900 and another around 1200 and the biggest at 4500 text messages! I currently use handcent and ever time i try to delete it the phone locks up and takes forever to complete if it dosent freeze first, I have done some searchin around and there are a few apps people reccommend but they all tend to have the same outcome of freezing up, and found that just Android in general is just really poor at completing this task, and some say that its just HTC sense and not really android..but does anyone one kno how to delete very large text threads???
Device: Verizon HTC One (M8)

MBeattie
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I would try settings>applications>manage applications and clear cache and data. This will wipe the entire application and leave you with a clean slate.
http://AndroidAdvanced.com is looking for writers.

BAttitude7689
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBeattie View Post
I would try settings>applications>manage applications and clear cache and data. This will wipe the entire application and leave you with a clean slate.
just tried that, and nope that doesnt work...i wiped data on messages and on handcent and it did nothing

exSD
Old
Thanks Meter 170
There is an ADB method out there somewhere. Look for it. Google something like "xda android delete all sms adb"

However if you have locked messages and want to keep them (as I did last week), what I did was put my phone on charge overnight, airplane mode, and deleted them. It took about 45 minutes to delete 7k messages.

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by exSD View Post
There is an ADB method out there somewhere. Look for it. Google something like "xda android delete all sms adb"

However if you have locked messages and want to keep them (as I did last week), what I did was put my phone on charge overnight, airplane mode, and deleted them. It took about 45 minutes to delete 7k messages.
the adb/root explorer way would delete all of your messages, not just some.

It is done by deleting the file located in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db

BAttitude7689
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
the adb/root explorer way would delete all of your messages, not just some.

It is done by deleting the file located in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/mmssms.db
trying this one now.......

BAttitude7689
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAttitude7689 View Post
trying this one now.......
NOPE! that didnt work either, I even rebooted and still had all the text messages there..

triscuit1983
Old
Thanks Meter 288

DONATE TO ME
Sounds like your doing anything you can. If its not too hard for you, wipe the entire ROM and set it back up. My normal setup time on a new ROM is max 5 minutes after flash. I'm thinking that might work.
If I've helped you, please hit thanks!

freeza
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9486

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
NOPE! that didnt work either, I even rebooted and still had all the text messages there..

Now that's odd. That is the exact way I delete all my messages every month to avoid the freezing you're talking about and it works for me....

You should try the following.......

-Boot into recovery
-Mount /data (if you're using Amon_RA 2.2.1, just go to the mounts section and mount data)
-Launch adb shell
-navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases by doing:
--cd data
--cd data
--cd com.android.providers.telephony
--cd databases
--rm mmssms.db
-navigate to /data/data/com.android.mms/cache by doing:
--cd ..
--cd ..
--cd com.android.mms
--cd cache
--rm *
-Reboot

Very strange that deleting and rebooting from within Android doesn't fix it. It does for me.

xlGmanlx
Old
Thanks Meter 544
make sure you hit force delete (handcent - wipes both area's mms.apk and app)as that has better results. This is an android wipe issue and its embarrassing how long it takes. on my BB or my old iphone i could do it in seconds
Quote:
i have been lazy and got behide on text messages and now i have a couple really big threads some around 900 and another around 1200 and the biggest at 4500 text messages! I currently use handcent and ever time i try to delete it the phone locks up and takes forever to complete if it dosent freeze first, I have done some searchin around and there are a few apps people reccommend but they all tend to have the same outcome of freezing up, and found that just Android in general is just really poor at completing this task, and some say that its just HTC sense and not really android..but does anyone one kno how to delete very large text threads???
.: My name is G'man and i am a flashaholic :.