Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,870 Members 50,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2.4f (Android 2.3.7) [20130310]

Tip us?

kabaldan
Old
(Last edited by kabaldan; 1st March 2011 at 12:59 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3044

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by etoy View Post
will the next version be updated with latest O2 leaked rom parts?
from what i read on its thread,it seems to fix a lot of previous issues.

also..2.3.3 soon!

p.s. 100 pages!
There is nothing to be updated from the O2 betatest - it's identical with the previous asian leak (build 5.26).

2.3.3 build is on the way.

kabaldan
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 3044

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino147 View Post
What I still don't understand is, the kernel is 2.2, and a beta of that even.
But the software running on it is 2.3, build from 'general' 2.3 sources from Google?

I was wondering, how can software (e.g. gmail, gps) work with an older kernel, isn't it possible that the newest 2.3 apps use some functionality in the kernel that isn't there bc it's not the 2.3 kernel? Or is it CM's mutations in the software (the ROM) that make it compatible? Or is the kernel totally independent from the software running on it through some layer?

So in fact there is no way to work around bugs inside the kernel. But even if Motorola releases an official 2.2 we still won't have a 2.3 kernel, bc of the bootloader?
Regarding the kernel, you can e.g. read my response here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod...tail?id=386#c6

bnwg
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabaldan View Post
Does it actually matter in the case of Milestone?
Both hardware and software FTL solutions are possible. Most devices with bigger amount of internal storage use eMMC (hardware). As it is a block device, some "normal" file system (as opposed to nand file system) had to be chosen. The Google's fs of choice happen to be ext4. (And of course, in the case of SGS, the Samsung's choice was the retarded rfs crap).
Even if the Milestone's kernel could be fully customized and the software FTL solutions would not be patented, it's not reasonable to expect any performance benefits from replacing mtd+yaffs with sw ftl+ext4. (Also, the praised multi-threaded ext4 nature would see performance gain only on multi-core CPUs anyway.)
Simply put, ext4 is nice and all, but it is not relevant to any real Milestone issues at all. I suppose that we will be using ext4 for app2ext on sdcard after the 2.6.32 kernel sources will be released by Motorola, but that's it, nothing more.
Does that mean the current kernel not supporting ext3/4? (I guess ext3 and ext4 are kinda in the same group and are different from ext2)

virus_spreade121
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
There is nothing to be updated from the O2 betatest - it's identical with the previous asian leak (build 5.26).

2.3.3 build is on the way.
Any idea by when ? Tonight ?

latino147
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Regarding the kernel, you can e.g. read my response here: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod...tail?id=386#c6
So if I understand it well, the 2.3 kernel is not very important for a stable CM7. There are not a lot of improvements in it to need it, it's the layer above that that is closed (no sources)?

But...memory management IS handled inside the kernel, so improvements on that regard would not be available to the milestone?

In this picture, is this all part of the kernel? Or is only the bottom (linux kernel) the kernel we are talking here about?

Rotundjere
Old
Thanks Meter 31

DONATE TO ME
How to install new market on CM7 ??

cbstryker
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Does it actually matter in the case of Milestone?
Both hardware and software FTL solutions are possible. Most devices with bigger amount of internal storage use eMMC (hardware). As it is a block device, some "normal" file system (as opposed to nand file system) had to be chosen. The Google's fs of choice happen to be ext4. (And of course, in the case of SGS, the Samsung's choice was the retarded rfs crap).
Even if the Milestone's kernel could be fully customized and the software FTL solutions would not be patented, it's not reasonable to expect any performance benefits from replacing mtd+yaffs with sw ftl+ext4. (Also, the praised multi-threaded ext4 nature would see performance gain only on multi-core CPUs anyway.)
Simply put, ext4 is nice and all, but it is not relevant to any real Milestone issues at all. I suppose that we will be using ext4 for app2ext on sdcard after the 2.6.32 kernel sources will be released by Motorola, but that's it, nothing more.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't implying we implement this in the Milestone. I'm just trying to learn everything I can. I myself am trying to get into Android system development. Programming is not new to me but mobile development is. I've sent you a PM before but you must not have gotten it.

But anyways, thanks again for the clarification.

latino147
Old
Thanks Meter 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotundjere View Post
How to install new market on CM7 ??
If you install the CM7 google apps package you should have the new market. At least I had it installing nothing else than CM7 and the package.

afadel
Old
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino147 View Post
So if I understand it well, the 2.3 kernel is not very important for a stable CM7. There are not a lot of improvements in it to need it, it's the layer above that that is closed (no sources)?

But...memory management IS handled inside the kernel, so improvements on that regard would not be available to the milestone?

In this picture, is this all part of the kernel? Or is only the bottom (linux kernel) the kernel we are talking here about?
The kernel we are talking about is only the Linux Kernel in that picture, that is shown in red.

Funnnny
Old
Thanks Meter 137

DONATE TO ME
Three kernel isn't dependent from the its run on top of it. But mostly system api will not change. So we can use older kernel while still update the os part.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using XDA App

Tags
good rom