OP japzone

4th February 2011, 11:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 208

544 posts
Original Post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by japzone

What I want to do is Dual-Boot from the MicroSD card. Meaning the NC Boots to the MicroSD and from there it Decides to Boot to either Nookie Froyo or Un-Rooted Stock. Preferably, with Long Press Home Button to go to Stock and Default being Nookie Froyo. How should I go about this?

I haven't Rooted my Stock because for one B&N updates screw your Root. Another reason is so I can try out B&Ns Updates and see how they Improve their OS. Aswell as the Fact that if I screw over Nookie Froyo I'm not stuck with an inoperable NC for the Duration until I fix it. I can Simply ReFlash a Backup IMG of NF.

(Also there's always the Possibility that B&N will get Netflix, it's a Dream )

Thanks to the Great Half-Hour job by Rookie1 we have a working method.

Also you can try j4mm3r's Boot Menu or rookie1's Customizable u-boot
I will have a Complete All-In-One HowTo for all these methods soon so it's all in one place. Please Look Forward to it.

Not Compatible With Rooted Stock with Clockwork Recovery!
Some have reported they've gotten this to work with CWR but many have stated this doesn't work with it. If you have trouble restore your Backed up u-boot.

PreReqs:
  • Download this: u-boot.zip
  • Working Nookie Froyo or Honeycomb MicroSD card
  • Rooted Stock not Required
  • Will Work on Mac, Linux, and Windows

Directions:
  1. Unzip the Zip File
  2. Plug your NookieFroyo/Honey MicroSD into your Computer
  3. Rename "u-boot.bin" from SD card and Copy it to a Safe Location for Backup Purposes
  4. Copy the Unzipped "u-boot.bin" to your SD card
  5. Safely Eject the Card

You're Done. Now whenever you Turn you NC on you can do this:
-Power On Normally for Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb
-Power On and Hold Home Button for Stock
-Power On and Hold Vol+ and Vol- for Recovery

Rookie1's Original Post Post 9
Last edited by japzone; 9th March 2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Planning to make an All-In-One HowTo for Custom u-boots
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to japzone For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2011, 02:15 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 16

298 posts
also interested in this....
5th February 2011, 07:39 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

18 posts
Couldn't you just install one of the ROM's to the SD card and take out the modded ROM SD card when you want to boot into stock?
5th February 2011, 09:27 AM   |  #4  

298 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pts69666

Couldn't you just install one of the ROM's to the SD card and take out the modded ROM SD card when you want to boot into stock?

tried that, wouldn't boot off the card (although most likely the I somehow screwed up the image)
5th February 2011, 10:18 AM   |  #5  
Flag Pittsburgh
Thanks Meter: 161

336 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yea, all you need to do is remove the card to boot into stack, or keep it in to boot to that ROM. I would however like to see something like this. I hate removing my card all of the time (yes I complain a lot haha), though I can tolerate. I mainly need a way to use an OS on the SD and still be able to use some of that space for the stock OS when I decide to boot that. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.
5th February 2011, 02:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 60

411 posts
Total guess here, does this need a custom bootloader to choose the right set of boot partitions?

Homer
5th February 2011, 03:10 PM   |  #7  
Flag Burlington
Thanks Meter: 21

190 posts
Donate to Me
More
sdcard removal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb424

Yea, all you need to do is remove the card to boot into stack, or keep it in to boot to that ROM. I would however like to see something like this. I hate removing my card all of the time (yes I complain a lot haha), though I can tolerate. I mainly need a way to use an OS on the SD and still be able to use some of that space for the stock OS when I decide to boot that. Hopefully someone knows what I mean.

I complain also about removing the sdcard as well, maybe it is where it is placed on the nook.
5th February 2011, 04:45 PM   |  #8  
Flag Seattle Basestar
Thanks Meter: 269

1,098 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.ponder

I complain also about removing the sdcard as well, maybe it is where it is placed on the nook.

I agree, SD card placement could be better. But, it could also be A LOT worse.

On my EVO, I have to take off the battery door and remove the battery to get to my SD card. Talk about a pain.
5th February 2011, 04:46 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 113

90 posts
This is about half-an-hour hack job and totally untested. Unfortunately I don't have a SD card handy to test. If you are brave enough, try to replace the u-boot.bin on your nookie froyo SD card using the attached file (remember to backup your original). Pressing Home ('n' button) while boot up should skip booting from SD.

ps the stock ROM will mount 1st partition on SD to /sdcard. If your SD card is nookie froyo, you don't have much space on your 1st partition.

pps This is modified base on my eMMC dualboot code. I've changed the recovery key combo to VolUp + VolDown. If you need to go to recovery and have this u-boot.bin on your SD card, remember the key combo change!
Attached Files
File Type: zip u-boot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (94.9 KB, 88 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rookie1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th February 2011, 05:45 PM   |  #10  

298 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie1

This is about half-an-hour hack job and totally untested. Unfortunately I don't have a SD card handy to test. If you are brave enough, try to replace the u-boot.bin on your nookie froyo SD card using the attached file (remember to backup your original). Pressing Home ('n' button) while boot up should skip booting from SD.

ps the stock ROM will mount 1st partition on SD to /sdcard. If your SD card is nookie froyo, you don't have much space on your 1st partition.

pps This is modified base on my eMMC dualboot code. I've changed the recovery key combo to VolUp + VolDown. If you need to go to recovery and have this u-boot.bin on your SD card, remember the key combo change!

Thx! I'll test it when I get done screwing around with Honeycomb

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread