Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,871 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Touch Screen Responsiveness

Tip us?

horsemom
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Touch Screen Responsiveness

Device: Nook Color rooted to 1.1

I had my Nook Color in the car today (40 degrees or so), pulled it out to show her what it looked like rooted. While standing in the driveway showing her different things, I found the touch screen was overly sensitive. As I was scrolling through different things (the app list, twitter, facebook), the slightest touch would select/open an item. It normally doesn't do this. It was incredibly frustrating and almost unusable. I pulled it out later and it seems to be behaving like it normally does.

Does temperature affect the NC screen? Where they any touch screen changes in 1.1? Is there a setting to calibrate the touch screen? I can't seem to find one. Any other suggestions?

I tried doing a search on the forum, but the search crashed.

Thanks.

tactfulcactus
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom View Post
Is there a setting to calibrate the touch screen? I can't seem to find one.
I was wondering this myself. My input doesn't seem to register as I get towards the edge of the screen.

robjective
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tactfulcactus View Post
I was wondering this myself. My input doesn't seem to register as I get towards the edge of the screen.
I don't know if it's placebo or not, but I feel like this app improved my screen response.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=934500

As for the other question, I would expect the screen to be less responsive in cold weather, but I don't have anything to base that on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robjective For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zdrifter
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Guessing what you experienced was due to condensation on the screen. Doesn't take much and can be 'invisible' to you but the screen is sensitive to 'stuff' on the screen and will become overly sensitive if there is anything on it, like moisture, skin oils, etc .. a screen protector may help but unless it continues that is probably the cause.

burbank
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
What you experience is probably temperature related, but another thing to try is to increase the LCD screen density to around 190, 200, or a little more. For me, I get improved sensitivity, especially near the corners.

foxdl99
Old
Thanks Meter 5
My daughter accidentally got a little water on the screen and it was a little erratic. I put it in a ziplock with a handful of rice for about 6 hours and it was like new.
LG G2x - Rooted, Bionix Reloaded 1.0
Troubles with Windows? Install Ubuntu instead and stop feeding the animals!

migrax
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I have owned 3 nook colors, the first one I owned freaked out when I used a damp cloth to wipe the screen. It exhibited some strange behavior and emitted some loud static from the speaker. It would not power down or anything... finally it just went back to normal, so I took it back to B&N and then went and bought one at walmart. I took it back because I thought I wanted the Viewsonic G Tablet. But after trying it I finally bought a Nook Color at Best Buy, bought a screen protector too so that I don't have a repeat of my first NC. The screens on these things are, I believe, rather sensitive and the cold or the moisture may have played a part in your unit's behavior.

migrax

jcollierdavis
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Same here. My screen also seems very inaccurate.

Have you found a fix?

Sent from a NookColor using the xda app

tenderidol
Old
Thanks Meter 103
I'd be interested in a solution for this as well, since the edges of my NC screen seems to be a lot less sensitive. For instance, when the Market is launched, it takes 4-5 tries to hit the search button at the right top corner (I know that I can hit menu and select search from there, but I am trying to illustrate my point).

don_ernesto
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderidol View Post
I'd be interested in a solution for this as well, since the edges of my NC screen seems to be a lot less sensitive. For instance, when the Market is launched, it takes 4-5 tries to hit the search button at the right top corner (I know that I can hit menu and select search from there, but I am trying to illustrate my point).
this modified kernel solves that
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

and you'll also get a speedier nook