Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,756 Members 50,806 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Block BN OTA Updates the EASY way!!!

Tip us?

RootNewbie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Arrow Block BN OTA Updates the EASY way!!!

First, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere already. I spent numerous hours trying to block OTA updates following a post under Android Development... Link to post.

Having played with adb for hours and not being able to get sqlite working in cmd. I tried browsing to the file the script in the above post appeared to be editing with Root Explorer. To my surprise, when you click on the devicemanager.db file, Root Explorer gives you an option to buy SQLite Editor. Which I did.

Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

Assuming this is what the scripts are doing, your nook color should now be blocking BN OTA updates. The best part is that you can do all of this from your nook color. Hope this helps!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RootNewbie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootNewbie View Post
First, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere already. I spent numerous hours trying to block OTA updates following a post under Android Development...
Really? Or push a modified build.prop, done... *shrug*
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP
Nexus 7 Wifi 2012 - 4.4.4, AOKP (m-kernel)
Samsung Note i717 - 4.2.2, Unofficial AOKP
Try my Alternative XDA CSS Themes (including 2010!)

--
http://theblackmoor.net
http://unlimitedphoto.com

V.A.T.Juice
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Thats actually a good find because for a minute we were all sweating losing root over the 1.1.0 update.
Sprint Harrier PPC 6600
Sprint Mogul PPC 6800
2x Sprint Touch Pro
Sprint Diamond
Sprint Touch Pro 2
Sprint Samsung Moment
Motorola Droid
Motorola Droid 2
Barnes & Noble Nook Color

"Pimpin' Ain't Easy"

RootNewbie
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
Really? Or push a modified build.prop, done... *shrug*
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still a beginner. I thought I read threads where people were still getting the OTA update after editing/replacing the build.prop ... Plus, what happens when BN decides to release a new update? You would then have to change the build.prop again? Editing the registry value should prevent the device from ever checking for new updates. Seems like a cleaner fix to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to RootNewbie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,072
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm still a beginner. I thought I read threads where people were still getting the OTA update after editing/replacing the build.prop ... Plus, what happens when BN decides to release a new update? You would then have to change the build.prop again? Editing the registry value should prevent the device from ever checking for new updates. Seems like a cleaner fix to me.
Nobody I'm aware of, including my two NC's. Perhaps you're confusing updating the build.prop with renaming the otacerts file?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=930382
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP

--

JF-WS6
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
First, I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere already. I spent numerous hours trying to block OTA updates following a post under Android Development... Link to post.

Having played with adb for hours and not being able to get sqlite working in cmd. I tried browsing to the file the script in the above post appeared to be editing with Root Explorer. To my surprise, when you click on the devicemanager.db file, Root Explorer gives you an option to buy SQLite Editor. Which I did.

Required Apps:
- Root Explorer (in market)
- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
1. Open Root Explorer
2. Open devicemanager.db from (/data/data/com.bn.devicemanager/databases/devicemanager.db)
3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file
4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
5. Drag over to the column labeled "value"
6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
7. Select "Edit Field"
8. Replace auto with manual
9. Select "Save"

Assuming this is what the scripts are doing, your nook color should now be blocking BN OTA updates. The best part is that you can do all of this from your nook color. Hope this helps!
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help someone out. It would have been me a week or two ago. I was trying to figure out how to change this value to avoid the OTA and really didnt understand ADB, SDK, Sqlite or any of that then. when i first opened Root explorer i remember it asking me if i would like to purchase it and i declined, now if i only would have known how easy it could have been.

redking79
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
I agree. Changing the setting in devicemanager.db is A LOT cleaner than the build.prop fix.

spikey911
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I just use a task killer and kill the B&N stuff... No updates here..

khaytsus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by redking79 View Post
I agree. Changing the setting in devicemanager.db is A LOT cleaner than the build.prop fix.
Considering this is how all Android OTAs are determined.... eh, whatever floats your boat
AT&T LG G2 - 4.4.4, AOKP

--

Leumas63
Old
(Last edited by Leumas63; 18th February 2011 at 06:09 PM.) Reason: clarity
Thanks Meter 0
Slightly off-topic: I made this change (in devicemanager.db) to disable B&N updates. Whilst in the database, I noticed a table called Tasks that has 5 entries with types 100, 101, 102, 3, 2. The types 100 & 2 are tagged as enabled, the others are disabled. They have a date_next_run column. I imagine this is some kind of scheduling. I haven't worked out the date format. Does anyone know what these tasks will do - I would imagine one of them forces a B&N update?

Tags
block ota updates