[Q] Tired of waiting on AT&T for 2.2 would like to upgrade OS but how?

Search This thread

Feb 10, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I have an AT&T Samsung Captivate and I'm really getting frustrated with a few things about the current 2.1 OS. I have no idea but my native email app keeps crashing, more than half the time I can connect to a WiFi network but data will not transmit and then there are random lockups and freezes. I have wiped and re-installed a couple of times but no joy.

So my question is... if I want to upgrade this phone to the latest OS that it can run where can I find the step-by-step instructions to do so? I don't care if I'm running an "official" release, I just want to try something newer than what I have currently even if it's pre-release and I have to mod my phone to get it installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 10, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Wow! I had no idea there were so many choices of ROMs. Has anyone put together a matrix that compares features and/or compatibility of various things across a handful of the more popular ROMs?

As long as I can send/receive calls, SMS, use WiFi for internet and other data needs, push email via and Exchange server, camera (still & video) and have access to the Market to download and run a handful of apps I'll be good to go.

mengbo

Nov 30, 2010
Mountain View, CA
Wow! I had no idea there were so many choices of ROMs. Has anyone put together a matrix that compares features and/or compatibility of various things across a handful of the more popular ROMs?

As long as I can send/receive calls, SMS, use WiFi for internet and other data needs, push email via and Exchange server, camera (still & video) and have access to the Market to download and run a handful of apps I'll be good to go.

you have to try it yourself to figure out which one/combination is best for you.

Reactions: 105437

fldude99

Oct 13, 2010
I'm convinced that even if ATT releases the 2.2 update it won't be worth updating...so rooting and flashing is definitely the way to go with this Captivate. However, after reading and reading, and watching the videos, I still don't trusty myself to root and flash a custom ROM. Does anyone know of a service that provides one on one help to accomplish this..of course on a paid basis?

Feb 10, 2011
Knoxville, TN
So is it fairly easy to flash to different ROMs and then flash back to 2.1 if I don't like the ROM? I'm technically inclined. How much risk is involved with bricking the phone, I'm not worried about losing apps or personal data.

rquiett

Jan 25, 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
I'm convinced that even if ATT releases the 2.2 update it won't be worth updating...so rooting and flashing is definitely the way to go with this Captivate. However, after reading and reading, and watching the videos, I still don't trusty myself to root and flash a custom ROM. Does anyone know of a service that provides one on one help to accomplish this..of course on a paid basis?

I felt the same way as you did. Finally something in me decided to give it a go. I watched a few videos at theunlockr and read up a bunch here first. I made sure to just take my time and couldn't be happier that I did it.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
So is it fairly easy to flash to different ROMs and then flash back to 2.1 if I don't like the ROM? I'm technically inclined. How much risk is involved with bricking the phone, I'm not worried about losing apps or personal data.

if you have the ATT captivate it is one click to restore to stock. ( "Odin one-click" not to beconfused with odin3 1.7 flashing util)

risk? hmm not much, if you do it right, and depending on your build #. but there are ways to unbrick, usb jigs, premade on ebay or a simple 3100K resistor and a steady hand to cross pin 4 & 5 on the USB.

advice: read, learn, for days first, then do it and be amazed!

bpk59

Dec 28, 2010
Worcester, MA
I tried Andromeda and loved it, but I couldn't get my company email natively on it (and Touchdown is kinda ghetto). So, earlier this evening I tried Serendipity - and sure enough, Exchange support is awesome.

Try either of those roms, you won't be disappointed!

MaverickCoast

May 11, 2009
Illinois
ONE WARNING.....Once you get the hang of flashing ROMs, you'll become an addict and find yourself never satisfied (Which is not a bad thing necessarily!)

I've gone through about every ROM possible AND multiple versions and have found one I think I can stick with for awhile.

Like others have said, it's just matter of taste and capability with your phone and network. You'll have fun experimenting!

bpk59

Dec 28, 2010
Worcester, MA
Pirateghost, my corporate email is on an Exchange 2007 server, and with Andromeda 1.x I got the following error message: "This server requires security features your phone does not have."

I'm a linux dev by profession and have messed with the Android SDK a bit so I'm not in uncharted waters here - I apktool'd the Andromeda email app, and tried to subvert the whole security stuff, rebuilt the apk, pushed it back, and that didn't help either. I'd definitely be interested in the Exchange supported Andromeda apk you guys have to test it out.

bpk59

Dec 28, 2010
Worcester, MA
Exchange support is a must for me. Native would be my preference, what's the story with Touchdown?

Touchdown works great, except the interface just feels dated. It feels like it kinda lives in its own sandbox on the phone; this isn't a bad thing necessarily, I just prefer the integrated approach.

Oh yeah, there's also the whole fact that Touchdown costs $20USD. I'm a cheapo so I'd rather just use native support :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    +1 flash to a custom 2.2 or 2.2.1 ROM, it is not that hard, just spend some time to read, you will be satisfied ...

you have to try it yourself to figure out which one/combination is best for you.
    Pirateghost, my corporate email is on an Exchange 2007 server, and with Andromeda 1.x I got the following error message: "This server requires security features your phone does not have."

I'm a linux dev by profession and have messed with the Android SDK a bit so I'm not in uncharted waters here - I apktool'd the Andromeda email app, and tried to subvert the whole security stuff, rebuilt the apk, pushed it back, and that didn't help either. I'd definitely be interested in the Exchange supported Andromeda apk you guys have to test it out.

start with these.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=848564

i am still on 2003 exchange servers so i am not required to have the pin. all my email works fine on the stock client, but touchdown is better, and since my work is paying for it, heh, might as well use it.