Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[App] Inverted (white text/black background) Htc Messaging Application - Mms.apk

OP JsChiSurf

10th February 2011, 08:41 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Hacksville
Thanks Meter: 1,253

2,334 posts
Donate to Me
Okay guys, at the suggestion/request of Konikub, who was told this couldn't be done, I, "Team LoneWolf" , decided to crack open the stock HTC Messaging application (Mms.apk), in order to investigate the possibility of inverting / applying a "dark theme" to the application.

It seems this has not been done before, and upon initial investigation, I can see why. Many of the HTC Sense applications share common resources (themes, styles, icons, etc), stored in com.htc.resources.apk. So, if you attempt to modify something used by Mms.apk, but stored in com.htc.resources.apk, you are going to unwittingly modify the appearance of other applications, and if other corresponding elements are not adjusted in those applications as well, you are going to have problems.

So, things that are "challenging" are the things I like to try and tackle, and inverting this application was a tough cookie, requiring extensive edits, in some cases to "undo" references to items stored / defined in com.htc.resources.apk, and rather, make them stand alone directly within Mms.apk. This required major edits to XML, Styles, Colors, local .pngs, and Smali/Java code. You wouldn't think simply themeing an app would require all of this, but Mms.apk did.

Essentially, what this mod has done, for the most part, is flip most text that was black, and made it white, and most backgrounds that were white, and made them black (inverted), giving you a bit more visual interest, as opposed to the stock "white" look.

For those running a dark theme on their phone, who prefer to use the stock messaging app (I use Handcent, lol), this should fit the bill nicely. Again, thanks to Koni-man for the "nudge" / "coaxing" to take a look at this.

Screen Shots:

Flash the attached (HtcMms.zip) via recovery. Also, let me know if I missed anything. It is certainly possible, as there are so many menu options / tasks that can be done, that I may have overlooked.

EDIT: MetaMorphs attachments added (morph_*.zip), to modify the default 'tap to compose' area from gray (shown in screen caps above), to black (screen capture), and another to return the application icon in the app drawer to stock color. DO NOT ATTEMPT to flash these. They must be applied using MetaMorph, AFTER you FIRST flash from recovery the original mod (HtcMms.zip). After applying using MetaMorph, you will need to, at a minimum, issue a Hot Restart, for the application to re-appear in the app drawer. It will disappear after applying the MetaMorph, and re-appear after a restart.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HtcMms.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.53 MB, 4309 views)
File Type: zip morph_tap_compose_black.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.3 KB, 1174 views)
File Type: zip morph_mms_icon.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.0 KB, 889 views)
File Type: zip HtcMmsRevertStock.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.51 MB, 1156 views)
Last edited by JsChiSurf; 13th February 2011 at 04:09 PM.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to JsChiSurf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2011, 09:12 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Westerville, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,579

2,118 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsChiSurf

Screen Shots:

You never cease to amazing us . Do you know if we can get conversation bubbles inside each conversation?? That was something I was about to PM you about.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMartin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th February 2011, 09:20 PM   |  #3  
Flag Wilmington, De.
Thanks Meter: 2,878

2,797 posts
Donate to Me
More
You are indeed the MAN! Looks awesome, I may have to dump go sms now! Lol

Sent from my Bad Seed Custom Themed EVO!
10th February 2011, 09:29 PM   |  #4  
Flag Woodbridge, VA
Thanks Meter: 483

2,906 posts
More
Js...you are the best in everyway possible, lol! Thanks for "Team Lone Wolf" for having my back
10th February 2011, 09:41 PM   |  #5  
Flag Wilmington, De.
Thanks Meter: 2,878

2,797 posts
Donate to Me
More
I have to throw a thank you to Koni for the little nudge as well.

Sent from my Bad Seed Custom Themed EVO!
10th February 2011, 09:43 PM   |  #6  
OP Recognized Developer
Hacksville

2,334 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsanace

I have to throw a thank you to Koni for the little nudge as well.

Indeed, he's a good guy. Honestly, if someone else came to me for help on this one, especially since I use Handcent (currently, I may switch now too!), I probably would have ignored the request. But, I always like to help Koni out when possible .
10th February 2011, 09:45 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 11

171 posts
Very sweet I am downloading now

Might you be able to customie other apps like this? Like making the stock HTC music app and People app all black. That would make Sense even more epic.
10th February 2011, 09:45 PM   |  #8  
OP Recognized Developer
Hacksville

2,334 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMartin03

You never cease to amazing us . Do you know if we can get conversation bubbles inside each conversation?? That was something I was about to PM you about.

Thanks. Hmmm, bubbles, that would be cool to pull off in the stock Mms as well. Maybe I'll see what it may entail. Probably pretty tough to pull off though...
10th February 2011, 09:47 PM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Hacksville

2,334 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzvv

Very sweet I am downloading now

Might you be able to customie other apps like this? Like making the stock HTC music app and People app all black. That would make Sense even more epic.

Probably. It's just a matter of investing/finding the time to do so. Things like this can take many hours/days to pull off...
10th February 2011, 09:51 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Westerville, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,579

2,118 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JsChiSurf

Thanks. Hmmm, bubbles, that would be cool to pull off in the stock Mms as well. Maybe I'll see what it may entail. Probably pretty tough to pull off though...

Pretty tough but you seem to master the impossible and normally very quickly lol.

Posted from my HTC Evo 4G on Tapatalk Pro!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread