[App] Inverted (white text/black background) Htc Messaging Application - Mms.apk

Search This thread

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
After just getting around to installing your rotary unlock mod, I am loving this!

Only problem is I can't install it. I go into the recovery menu, choose install from zip and then confirm, I get an error.

Installing update...
Amend scripting (update-script) is no longer supported.
Amend scripting was deprecated by Google in Android 1.5.
It was necessary to remove it when upgrading to the ClockworkMod 3.0 Gingerbread based recovery.
Please switch to Edify scripting (updater-script and updater-binary) to create working update .zip packages.

Any ideas why I get this error? I haven't changed anything since I installed the rotary lockscreen. Maybe switching to Amon recovery?

Ha, never seen that before, what a bunch of BS. Yes, I'd switch to Amon. It's what I use, and I have no problem using standard update-scripts.

At a minimum, it wouldn't be consistent to be running a "gingerbread based recovery" on a froyo based ROM.

Reactions: kforcum

SteelH

Jun 12, 2010
I modded this from a stock Mms.apk. I'm not familiar with the details of the mods Calkulin did, but I assumed they were to the framework, as opposed directly to the .apk. I'll have to look, as, honestly, until now, I've never really used the HTC Messaging app.

The 5MB limit is a simple plain-text XML edit.

/data/data/com.android.mms/shared_prefs/com.android.mms.customizationBySIM.xml

Code:
<string name="MMS_Msg_Size3">500K</string>
<string name="MMS_Msg_Size2">1M</string>
<string name="MMS_Msg_Size1">2M</string>

Just open in a text editor on your phone and change to desired sizes. If you don't have this XML file on your phone, just flash Calkulin's MOD.

This MOD is easily cooked into any ROM as well. To cook it right in, you need to edit default.xml (search for the module "MessageConfig") which is found under /system/customize/MNS/

Code:
 <module name="MessageConfig">
      <function name="setting">
        <set name="single">
          <item name="MMS_Auto_Retrieve">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Priority">Normal</item>
          <item name="MMS_Msg_Size1">1M</item>
          <item name="MMS_Msg_Size2">2M</item>
          <item name="MMS_Msg_Size3">5M</item>
          <item name="MMS_Msg_Size_Choose">1M</item>
          <item name="MMS_Received_Notify">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Play_Received_Notify">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Received_Notify_sound">Default Ringtone</item>
          <item name="MMS_Received_Viberation">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Sent_Notify">false</item>
          <item name="MMS_Fail_Notify">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Play_Notify">true</item>
          <item name="MMS_Notify_Sound">Default Ringtone</item>
          <item name="MMS_Viberation">true</item>
        </set>
      </function>

In my personal experience, I use 5M all the time except for ATT subscribers. ATT limits receiving messages to those < 1M. Yet one more reason ATT & their iphones suck.

However, I would love to see the compression fix put into this mod. (hint, hint, *nudge*) Nothing worse than taking a nice 8MP picture only to have your phone squash it down to 300K or less in file size, making it hideous! I do not know how Calkulin managed that MOD, but I do know it is within MMS.apk (just download his MOD and look, only thing in there is that apk). I have asked for details on how to fix the compression myself, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessesse

JsChiSurf

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2010
Hacksville
However, I would love to see the compression fix put into this mod. (hint, hint, *nudge*) Nothing worse than taking a nice 8MP picture only to have your phone squash it down to 300K or less in file size, making it hideous! I do not know how Calkulin managed that MOD, but I do know it is within MMS.apk (just download his MOD and look, only thing in there is that apk). I have asked for details on how to fix the compression myself, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.
Thanks. Yes, I went and checked out his thread earlier, and saw the 5MB limit was separate, but the compression fix built directly into the apk. No worries, I'll figure it out ;).

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
Yo, Papa, good to see you over here. Do you have an EVO now too? Looks like the band ("hero modders") is getting back together, lol :p. Nice to see another familiar face.

Oh yes my friend I just got my evo a week ago. I've got 8 apps(well one app 8 different colors LOL) out on the market. I've been lookin at all the mods and themes here and looks like I'm gonna have to start doin some work again. Good to c ya again

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Oh yes my friend I just got my evo a week ago. I've got 8 apps(well one app 8 different colors LOL) out on the market. I've been lookin at all the mods and themes here and looks like I'm gonna have to start doin some work again. Good to c ya again

Wow that's cool you guys join the evo deveploment team :) I like mmy evolution alot and I'm pretty sure you guys will do a great job here

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

KSUJedi

Jul 25, 2010
Shawnee, KS
Ha, never seen that before, what a bunch of BS. Yes, I'd switch to Amon. It's what I use, and I have no problem using standard update-scripts.

At a minimum, it wouldn't be consistent to be running a "gingerbread based recovery" on a froyo based ROM.

Have found this "problem" when using Clockwork 3.X recovery with certain zips, sounds like it's more of a necessary step towards the future as opposed to a true problem, but it's easily remedied by flashing either Amon Ra recovery or Clockwork 2.X via ROM manager, flashing the zip, then can go back to whatever recovery you want.

tbgreen89

Oct 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Good job man. Works great. Just what I have been waiting for! Maybe the devs will start using this in their new and upcoming roms.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

dkdude36

Aug 5, 2010
los angeles
wow, where did you come from? first the garage door, then the notification dropdowns (my favorite), then the lockscreen settings, and now this? you are incredible.

btw, this might look really nice on mail and/or people. not to add to your amazing list or anything.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay guys, at the suggestion/request of Konikub, who was told this couldn't be done, I, "Team LoneWolf" :D, decided to crack open the stock HTC Messaging application (Mms.apk), in order to investigate the possibility of inverting / applying a "dark theme" to the application.

It seems this has not been done before, and upon initial investigation, I can see why. Many of the HTC Sense applications share common resources (themes, styles, icons, etc), stored in com.htc.resources.apk. So, if you attempt to modify something used by Mms.apk, but stored in com.htc.resources.apk, you are going to unwittingly modify the appearance of other applications, and if other corresponding elements are not adjusted in those applications as well, you are going to have problems.

So, things that are "challenging" are the things I like to try and tackle, and inverting this application was a tough cookie, requiring extensive edits, in some cases to "undo" references to items stored / defined in com.htc.resources.apk, and rather, make them stand alone directly within Mms.apk. This required major edits to XML, Styles, Colors, local .pngs, and Smali/Java code. You wouldn't think simply themeing an app would require all of this, but Mms.apk did.

Essentially, what this mod has done, for the most part, is flip most text that was black, and made it white, and most backgrounds that were white, and made them black (inverted), giving you a bit more visual interest, as opposed to the stock "white" look.

For those running a dark theme on their phone, who prefer to use the stock messaging app (I use Handcent, lol), this should fit the bill nicely. Again, thanks to Koni-man for the "nudge" / "coaxing" to take a look at this.

Screen Shots:
    mms_1.png
    mms_2.png

mms_3.png
    mms_4.png

mms_5.png
    mms_6.png

Flash the attached (HtcMms.zip) via recovery. Also, let me know if I missed anything. It is certainly possible, as there are so many menu options / tasks that can be done, that I may have overlooked.

EDIT: MetaMorphs attachments added (morph_*.zip), to modify the default 'tap to compose' area from gray (shown in screen caps above), to black (screen capture), and another to return the application icon in the app drawer to stock color. DO NOT ATTEMPT to flash these. They must be applied using MetaMorph, AFTER you FIRST flash from recovery the original mod (HtcMms.zip). After applying using MetaMorph, you will need to, at a minimum, issue a Hot Restart, for the application to re-appear in the app drawer. It will disappear after applying the MetaMorph, and re-appear after a restart.

You never cease to amazing us :D. Do you know if we can get conversation bubbles inside each conversation?? That was something I was about to PM you about.
    I stand by my earlier post haha
    Ha, Ha, don't tempt me. When/if I finish this darn thing, you guys are going to go looking for the app in the app drawer, and find it under "my ding a ling"...
    [WIP] Self-contained Inverted Contacts Application

HtcContacts.apk is putting up a tougher fight to invert as a standalone / self-contained application than Mms.apk. There's still a lot of work to do, but here's a peek at the two main panels:

contacts_1.png
    contacts_2.png