Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,165 Members 39,022 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

XDA/Samsung

Tip us?

qwertyaas
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Welcome to the boards! Hopefully we finally get some information and issues resolved with our phones. And maybe the source code for AT&T Captivate.

So... is that GPS fix still coming around that was promised in September or is Samsung finally in agreement that they borked the GPS aspect of this phone?

boborone
Old
Thanks Meter 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
That's exactly why I asked him to provide a job description and explain exactly what he does. Unfortunately I don't expect any response to that question.
that would be very nice, should've been in the first post
One Less Car

Get Out and Ride
The Following User Says Thank You to boborone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mnjm9b
Old
Thanks Meter 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercurio View Post
That's right *full* AOSP is not possible for kernel so far due to FSR/RFS drivers in kernel and in init binary.
Which is why it would be noble of them to open source these instead of making us franken-source drivers or create drivers from scratch....

not holding my breath though....

mrd49
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungJohn View Post
I am on top on both media and the development side.
I take this to mean he's got some say in development, and not some PR lackey. Although, yes, it would be nice to know his exact job description.

xodaQo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'll just leave this right here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw
lol internet

SamsungJohn
Old
Official Samsung Rep - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Lightbulb Thank you!

I'm sure we all have seen Transformers right? Remember that scene in the movie where the Autobots are arriving to earth?(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kps_CkEEkUo) Quality kind of sucks. I compare that scene as Samsung arriving to XDA! I will not let you guys down. I will be back on Monday, in the mean time all top developers please pm. On Monday, I will post a new thread explaining further details. Also if your going to be in Austin for the convention let me know as well.

P.S. I have been reading all your postings in the threads.
Thanks
@SamsungJohn

Xstop
Old
(Last edited by Xstop; 12th February 2011 at 07:41 PM.)
Thanks Meter 188
Deleted.

I will let actions speak for itself.

HTC One (M8) | GPe 4.4.3 + root
LG G2 | Stock 4.2.2 + root
Galaxy Note 3 | Stock 4.3 + root
HTC One Black (M7) | GPe Stock 4.4.2 + root
Galaxy Note 8 | Stock 4.2.2 + root
Nexus 7 (2013) | Stock 4.4.2 + root

boborone
Old
Thanks Meter 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsungJohn View Post
I'm sure we all have seen Transformers right? Remember that scene in the movie where the Autobots are arriving to earth?(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kps_CkEEkUo) Quality kind of sucks. I compare that scene as Samsung arriving to XDA! I will not let you guys down. I will be back on Monday, in the mean time all top developers please pm. On Monday, I will post a new thread explaining further details. Also if your going to be in Austin for the convention let me know as well.

P.S. I have been reading all your postings in the threads.
Thanks
@SamsungJohn
Well thanks man, they have some good ideas in the epic forum, and supercurio's open source proposal is something that would benefit all. Remember that the dev's and bloggers are the first to endorse a company and their products. And trickle down to the masses. I imagine your family ask you what phone they should buy, and they do it for reason.
One Less Car

Get Out and Ride
The Following User Says Thank You to boborone For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dxtra
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Well heres my input john. Straight forward 1. No lag. 2. No lag. 3. Completely working hardware, GPS, screen ect. 4. Support ( updates ). Looking forward for the Galaxy S II. Hopefully my experience with the captivate was just a last night nightmare . Big credit to the community on xda for making the Galaxy s useable.

Sent from my Galaxy s Captivate

stoobie-doo
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Welcome.

You have a community here that is passionate about these products and interested in finding ways to make these phones better to use. For me, I am a user who found this site, first when I was on Windows Mobile later on Android as a place to fix things that just didn't work right or get updates to products after the vendor had moved on.

What would be great would be to see a way Samsung would be willing to:
1. Explain some of the choices it has made - like preventing sideloading and installing from 3rd party markets, removing functionality clearly intended for the product (the Captivate user manual on the Samsung USA web site describes the Mobile AP functionality that was yanked on page 103), preventing removal of the AT&T apps, and what really is taking so long with the Froyo update (let alone whether we will ever see Gingerbread).
2. Find a way to enable at least some of the improvements/modifications developed or implemented by the cooks to be implemented without voiding a warranty.
3. Make available an AOSP or unbranded version of the Captivate ROM that supports the phone and then lets the devs add to it as they see fit.
4. Not use this as another hype channel like the SamsungMobileUS tweets
iPhone 5s for me; AT&T GS3 for work

THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe