Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,448 Members 40,408 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Might be getting a Shift

Tip us?

corybucher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Default [Q] Might be getting a Shift

I have the Evo now but am giving that phone to my dad when I bring them onto my family plan and will be using his new contract to get a different phone. My question for you Shift owners is does the Shift use a GPL to control it's graphics (should be smother for scrolling if I'm not mistaken) instead of hardware control? Also I've heard numerous people say that the shift is a lot faster even though it's running a 800mhz processor instead of a 1ghz like the Evo. Keyboard doesn't really mean much to me as I will most likely be using the on screen more than the physical. Thank you all in advanced.

bubby323
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 1,485

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by corybucher View Post
I have the Evo now but am giving that phone to my dad when I bring them onto my family plan and will be using his new contract to get a different phone. My question for you Shift owners is does the Shift use a GPL to control it's graphics (should be smother for scrolling if I'm not mistaken) instead of hardware control? Also I've heard numerous people say that the shift is a lot faster even though it's running a 800mhz processor instead of a 1ghz like the Evo. Keyboard doesn't really mean much to me as I will most likely be using the on screen more than the physical. Thank you all in advanced.
My dad has the original Evo and myself the Shift. It blows the Evo away in my opinion. The keyboard is great, the graphics amazing, the screen vivid, and the processor seems to be quite a bit faster. Not to mention the dev attention this phone is getting so far. We are only about, what, a couple months in and we already have MIUI, new sense, cm6, cm7, and an aosp gingerbread, and a 1.8ghz overclock, and an upcoming dual boot from myself. I don't see what phone is better on Sprint?(;

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App

corybucher
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 71
Thanks for the response, I believe you just made my decision very easy to say the least.

BrandoKC
Old
Thanks Meter 287

DONATE TO ME
I will add thise too. I bought the shift over the evo for the 2nd gen snapdragon and new GPU. However, I use the keyboard a helluva lot more than I ever thought I would.

Sent from my HTC Evo Shift 4G

jesusice
Old
Thanks Meter 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby323 View Post
My dad has the original Evo and myself the Shift. It blows the Evo away in my opinion. The keyboard is great, the graphics amazing, the screen vivid, and the processor seems to be quite a bit faster. Not to mention the dev attention this phone is getting so far. We are only about, what, a couple months in and we already have MIUI, new sense, cm6, cm7, and an aosp gingerbread, and a 1.8ghz overclock, and an upcoming dual boot from myself. I don't see what phone is better on Sprint?(;

Sent from my PG06100 using XDA App
Aight, Bubby. Curiousity's peaked here, what're we dual booting with? Whatever it is it sounds crazy and I want some!

^ Shift Faced

koolkid09
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Can anyone point me to cm7? Can't seem to find it in the development thread.

teharchitekt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
Can anyone point me to cm7? Can't seem to find it in the development thread.
CyanogenMod 7 isn't available for the HTC Evo Shift, but there is Evervolv which is based off CyanogenMod 7 source.
Code:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936822

ahager88
Old
(Last edited by ahager88; 14th February 2011 at 05:25 AM.)
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by teharchitekt View Post
CyanogenMod 7 isn't available for the HTC Evo Shift, but there is Evervolv which is based off CyanogenMod 7 source.
Code:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936822
Yes it is. Look on BC's development page. Its linked in his WIP thread.

Sent from my PG06100

Edit: Here's the link to all bc's current roms. http://www.thebcblends.com/shift/roms/
HTC Inspire 4G running MIUI v4 courtesy of blind. View miui.us for details.

Got 5 minutes? Check out my band Namek!

teharchitekt
Old
Thanks Meter 1
And in that thread bcnice never discusses that CyanogenMod 6, not CyanogenMod 7. And just because there is a linked ROM in that directory does not explain how stable it is.

ahager88
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by teharchitekt View Post
And in that thread bcnice never discusses that CyanogenMod 6, not CyanogenMod 7. And just because there is a linked ROM in that directory does not explain how stable it is.
I didn't say it was stable, just that the rom IS available.

However, since I'm equipped with all things necessary to flash a rom, I have ran cm6, cm7 and evervolv each for at least a solid day. I'd also like to note that MY rom of choice is Evervolv.

Since you're so quick to mention stability, all three are having the same issues. MMS and Camera being the ones most users will notice.

Sent from my PG06100
HTC Inspire 4G running MIUI v4 courtesy of blind. View miui.us for details.

Got 5 minutes? Check out my band Namek!