5,600,483 Members 32,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SGX 540: SGS vs LG Optimus 3d

Tip us?

INeedYourHelp
Old
(Last edited by INeedYourHelp; 16th February 2011 at 01:33 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default SGX 540: SGS vs LG Optimus 3d

I just read an article here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4179/t...imus-3d-tested

The LG Optimus 3d uses the same SGX 540 graphics that our SGS uses. BUT it is clocked at 300mhz vs our 200mhz AND it uses an updated driver. With these improvements, early benchmarks show it beats the tegra 2 and the quad-gpu in the SGS II. Of course these benchmarks don't tell the whole story, but I still find it interesting. I hope Samsung can make sure android can take advantage of the gpu in the SGS II.
Quote:
Most PowerVR SGX 540 designs run the GPU core at up to 200MHz. OMAP 4's implementation is another 50% faster. LG's software build also uses a newer version of Imagination Technologies' driver (1.6 instead of 1.5) which fixes some rendering issues (specifically in the Egypt test) and improves performance considerably (likely between 10 - 30% in GLBenchmark2). You can see that the image quality issues are fixed in the video showing the Egypt demo running on the LG Optimus 3D below:

Quote:
Taking the performance improvement due to the driver out of the equation, we're still looking at a nearly 20% increase in performance over the SGX 540 in Hummingbird. The 4430 holds a similar advantage over NVIDIA's Tegra 2.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INeedYourHelp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Unrealwolf
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Hey, I want this driver! Maybe, devs could be able to port it to SGS somehow.
By the way, GPU in Desire HD and Desire Z (adreno 205) beats SGS one in benchmarks and goes head-to-head with Tegra.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
Blah blah sorry for my bad english blah

HM.Carbide
Old
Thanks Meter 444
if it causes the same battery drain, i want that driver too...

kunjar
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Id love to see how the Sony NGP with ARM Cortex-A9 quad-core processor & SGX543MP4+ GPU stacks up....just for fun of course.

zorxd
Old
Thanks Meter 39
The SGX540 is indeed a very good GPU. Still not outdated, even at 200 MHz.

SamHaLeKe
Old
Thanks Meter 3021

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorxd View Post
The SGX540 is indeed a very good GPU. Still not outdated, even at 200 MHz.
You can change it the kernel also to 300MHz if you have te skils. Our SGS has stil many potentional

Phone: SAMSUNG Galaxy S - Model: GT-I9000HKAXEN - ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly - CPU: 1416MHz@1425mV

Modem: XXJVT - Kernel: Devil v4.2 - Launcher: Zeam ICS Mod - GApps: Updated GApps - Live OC: 118%

RAM: 408MB - Governor: Interactive - Scheduler: SIO - Devil Idle: Automatic - Deep Idle: Enabled - WPM: Stronger WiFi

Algimene
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I hope skilled devs like Supercurio and Hardcore are reading this thread and get some inspiration

bcam117
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Default F**king apple

I hope everyone is realizing how dumb it was to let apple buy imaginetech.
And how come nvidia (a company i know for gpus) seems to be behind in gpu tech?

MarlowXim
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamHaLeKe View Post
You can change it the kernel also to 300MHz if you have te skils. Our SGS has stil many potentional
Unlikely when you mess with the gpu clock there's an increase in instability, as well as putting other devices out of sync. I believe omap4 is using a different nm process to fabricate it probably smaller than the galaxys so they can put the clock higher.

The driver upgrade is the only possibility.

pitree
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think Hummingbird (A8) and Omap4 (A9) are based on same 45 nm architecture.