[Q] VM Samsung Intercept Possible 'Soft' Brick
I have been trying to root my Samsung Intercept from Virgin Mobile now for a couple of days.
For the record, I am doing this under Linux, I have access to a Windows Machine but it's not mine so I do this purely under Linux.
Here are the steps I took and what happened...
Followed the tutorial on using ADB under linux to root the phone.
I pushed the kernel I wanted to flash to the correct folder, /DATA/LOCAL/TMP and then also uploaded a recovery to the same folder.
I then attempted to ./KERNEL and after it ran it displayed some weird txt in the bottom, nothing that looked good and from what I can remember the txt sad something about the partition, and it just didn't look like a good root.
I then restarted the phone, the FIRST samsung logo shows up with their website address underneath it and it stays there forever! Well at least for 5-10mins and then it goes to a black screen, it does nothing from their, I've left it run overnight on that screen and no go.
NOW, the only thing I can think of to fix my phone. I can still access download mode, and I can still get into the default recovery.. note that I don't have a custom recovery installed, because with the Intercept you need to install a kernel before the recovery.. so I never got that far because my kernel install messed up.
Anyway I tried using the recovery to wipe all data, and also wipe partition cache, still nothing good or different has come from this.
Really hoping someone can point me in the right direction.. I downloaded a STOCK VM kernel that I found on the SDX forums but it just says that the file isn't verified or doesn't match up.. something like that. Either way I have found no good UPDATE.ZIP to help bring my phone back.
I have also tried using the SWUPGRADE method on my friends Windows XP SP3 computer and it just won't recognized my phone. I tried everything, picking new USB ports in the back, I tried unplugging and plugging the USB in and out at different times. All Windows tells me is that "The usb device is not recognized" so I don't know where to go with this.
I really hope someone can help, I only had the phone for 4-5 days and I don't think I have my receipt anymore, hopefully I can find it cause this isn't looking very good.
I'd perfer a way to fix this on Linux but I can use Windows if I have to.
Hopefully someone knows the answer.. I saw a guy on SDX who had the same problem but no one had a fix for him...