5,604,631 Members 40,761 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Called BB today for some info...

Tip us?

pathtologos
Old
(Last edited by pathtologos; 17th February 2011 at 07:25 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
Default Called BB today for some info...

The salesguy told me that pre-ordering will start on Feb. 20 and that the actual launch day has yet to be confirmed because "google is still doing last minute tweaks to Honeycomb." They're hoping for February 27th.

Also, he said he is unaware of the wifi-only model--I assume he means when it will be released since we have confirmation that one does exist.

Any finally, most interesting, is that if you buy a 3G version, in order to upgrade it to 4G, Motorola will be sending you an empty box to ship the xoom back to them so they can make the upgrade. They are promising a one week turn-around.

This guy may be ill-informed but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Just an FYI to the community.

BTW: I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (called local BB)

kenyu73
Old
Thanks Meter 81
The 4G upgrade is software based and we'll get it OTA.

I would think that the Xooms are already boxed up sitting in a warehouse. However, I really dont know how quick they can go from the production line to shipping to the stores... but it may be possible to so that within a few days.

I hope its not pushed back, but I'd rather have a good experience out of the box then wait 2-3 weeks for an OTA patch.
Signal Problems? Try my product... [Real Signal] (=
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u73.realsignal

HTC One (AT&T/Net10)
HTC DNA
ASUS Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (rooted, retired)
HTC Thunderbolt (rooted, retired)
Samsung GT 10.1 (rooted)(retired)
HTC Flyer WiFi (rooted) (retired)
Samsung Fascinate (rooted, retired)
Achros 70s (retired)
HTC Incredible (rooted, retired)
HTC Eris (retired)
The Following User Says Thank You to kenyu73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

socomdark
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyu73 View Post
The 4G upgrade is software based and we'll get it OTA.

I would think that the Xooms are already boxed up sitting in a warehouse. However, I really dont know how quick they can go from the production line to shipping to the stores... but it may be possible to so that within a few days.

I hope its not pushed back, but I'd rather have a good experience out of the box then wait 2-3 weeks for an OTA patch.
no the guy was right, the xoom comes with a evdo radio only. they have to add the lte radio in there but its at no cost. their probably is an ota for 4g but its not the only requirement. im ready to pick one up my self but if it comes with better experience for me later then i can wait.

kenyu73
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by socomdark View Post
no the guy was right, the xoom comes with a evdo radio only. they have to add the lte radio in there but its at no cost. their probably is an ota for 4g but its not the only requirement. im ready to pick one up my self but if it comes with better experience for me later then i can wait.
I was thinking it was some chip to replace, then I stumbled on another tech site that simply stated it was a software patch.

Sending the Xoom to MOTO for chip replacement is going to cost MOTO 100's of thousands of dollars; i dont get it. Unless we have to pay for shipping.
Signal Problems? Try my product... [Real Signal] (=
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...u73.realsignal

HTC One (AT&T/Net10)
HTC DNA
ASUS Nexus 7
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (rooted, retired)
HTC Thunderbolt (rooted, retired)
Samsung GT 10.1 (rooted)(retired)
HTC Flyer WiFi (rooted) (retired)
Samsung Fascinate (rooted, retired)
Achros 70s (retired)
HTC Incredible (rooted, retired)
HTC Eris (retired)

Sirchuk
Old
Thanks Meter 37
If sending it in is a requirement I think they need to disclose that in advance. If I was buying one and the LTE upgrade was a factor, I wouldn't want to have to send it in to be upgraded and be without it for a week or more.

Think I'll wait longer for the WiFi model than deal with that.
Rooted Android Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Kindle Fire HD
HTC EVO 4G LTE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom - Verizon
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Hero
HTC T-Mobile G1

Xevilious
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I could have sworn that they said the LTE update would be OTA during CES, but I admit, I could be wrong.

socomdark
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevilious View Post
I could have sworn that they said the LTE update would be OTA during CES, but I admit, I could be wrong.
here's a link from androidcentral

http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...ch-microsd-use

it wasnt the link i was looking for but i know androidcentral is also a credible source but if you search for it you will see that it needs a hardware upgrade. As for the upgrades costing motorola, they are probably already getting their cut from the price of the xoom. Sanjay said the price of the xoom is justifiable because its 4g upgradeable which might mean they already figured in the cost of 4g upgrade with original price of xoom. It sucks for us because those who arent in 4g coverage are getting charged for it but its a smart move by moto since 100% of the tablets they sell wont be all coming back.

pathtologos
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 199
The more I read, the more I want to wait for wifi only. I hear that Costco has a 90 day return policy. I want the tablet so bad, I may spring for one and hope the wifi model comes out b4 the 90 days...

Sirchuk
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by socomdark View Post
here's a link from androidcentral

http://www.androidcentral.com/motoro...ch-microsd-use

it wasnt the link i was looking for but i know androidcentral is also a credible source but if you search for it you will see that it needs a hardware upgrade. As for the upgrades costing motorola, they are probably already getting their cut from the price of the xoom. Sanjay said the price of the xoom is justifiable because its 4g upgradeable which might mean they already figured in the cost of 4g upgrade with original price of xoom. It sucks for us because those who arent in 4g coverage are getting charged for it but its a smart move by moto since 100% of the tablets they sell wont be all coming back.
Good point. I would have done the same thing if I was them. Probably only going to get a 40% return, if that, for the 4G upgrade. It's all just added revenue to them. And once the LTE upgrade is installed on new out-the-door units, they'll still be making a larger profit due to the higher price.

The $200 difference between WiFi and the 3G model make a lot more sense now if you've got to send it in.
Rooted Android Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Kindle Fire HD
HTC EVO 4G LTE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom - Verizon
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Hero
HTC T-Mobile G1

socomdark
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathtologos View Post
The salesguy told me that pre-ordering will start on Feb. 20 and that the actual launch day has yet to be confirmed because "google is still doing last minute tweaks to Honeycomb." They're hoping for February 27th.

Also, he said he is unaware of the wifi-only model--I assume he means when it will be released since we have confirmation that one does exist.

Any finally, most interesting, is that if you buy a 3G version, in order to upgrade it to 4G, Motorola will be sending you an empty box to ship the xoom back to them so they can make the upgrade. They are promising a one week turn-around.

This guy may be ill-informed but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. Just an FYI to the community.

BTW: I live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (called local BB)
this might be why if it has to do with software.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...etitor-android

maybe they are adding google music to it. none of the people who had hands on mentioned it. maybe google wanted to sneak in something so they could get a suprise in against the competition.