Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

4G LTE

OP Overstew

17th February 2011, 10:18 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,654

3,911 posts
Sprint's changing their pricing in April, so I'm jumping bandwagon to Verizon. Hopefully I wont have to wait long after I cancel with them to get a Bionic.

Anyways, something that's been haunting my curiosity is, will the 4G LTE be a switch on the phone, or will it automatically switch to 4G when it's available?

Thanks in advance,
Overstew

P.S. If you have a source, that'd be nice, too.
18th February 2011, 03:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

71 posts
More
It's gonna kick onto 4g where ever you get the coverage. No button pushing or switches.
20th February 2011, 03:55 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3

300 posts
And you'll probably pay extra for 4G even if you can't get it in your area. Nothing like the crappy cell carriers forcing you to pay for something you can't even use.

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk
17th March 2011, 06:31 PM   |  #4  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 3

34 posts
More
i would love to come over to verizon if sprint buys out tmo and tmo waives the ETF

i dont understand why the thunderbolt is getting so much more notice than the bionic... they're both set to release within a couple months of each other, but tbolt has piss poor specs, 1300mahz battery? really?

what's so bad about motorola that folks rather get a phone that's outdated spec wise?
18th March 2011, 06:50 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Flag Brandon, FL
Thanks Meter: 311

351 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsego

i would love to come over to verizon if sprint buys out tmo and tmo waives the ETF

i dont understand why the thunderbolt is getting so much more notice than the bionic... they're both set to release within a couple months of each other, but tbolt has piss poor specs, 1300mahz battery? really?

what's so bad about motorola that folks rather get a phone that's outdated spec wise?

HTC is know for their generally hackable devices...Motorola has been heading in the opposite direction, and it is very possible that even though the Xoom was unlocked they may decide to lock the Bionic.

I am seriously considering a Xoom...but I am waiting and if someone can root and flash the Bionic then I will possibily get one, but unless this tech material fiasco taking place gets worse I expect something better to be releasing about the same time as the Bionic.

Something yet unannounced maybe who knows, but it would have to outspec the Bionic... >:) and the way this game is played, there is always something just a little better just around the corner.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SirGatez For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2011, 09:09 PM   |  #6  
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 113

265 posts
Does anyone here have or know someone who has the Thunderbolt? If so, what does the contract say about Verizon being able to to adjust your monthly rate? Or is it locked in?

Thanks
21st March 2011, 10:48 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 13

115 posts
I traded in my Atrix for the thunderbolt.

I am on a family plan and the cost of the plan is the same as it was for my Dinc.

Unlimited data (soft capped still) and no special fees for 4g.

My other line has an upgrade in april i am saving for the Bionic. It will be locked down like the atrix - but the atrix is by far still the best phone i have ever used - just at&t network is atrocioius!
24th March 2011, 08:34 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

48 posts
yes... well it took a little extra effort to unlock the tbolt... just as with the droidX I would guess the bionic will also get unlocked and rooted.. as for the OP I have not seen anything on the 4g modem for the bionic but I owned the tbolt and it does all the switching for you... infact that may have been the problem with the battery life...

I think there is at least two apps that allow you to manually turn on/off the lte modem though.
5th April 2011, 05:29 PM   |  #9  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 5

117 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildfire

I traded in my Atrix for the thunderbolt.

I am on a family plan and the cost of the plan is the same as it was for my Dinc.

Unlimited data (soft capped still) and no special fees for 4g.

My other line has an upgrade in april i am saving for the Bionic. It will be locked down like the atrix - but the atrix is by far still the best phone i have ever used - just at&t network is atrocioius!

...but i heard that the "no special fees 4G" is for a limited time...is this true?
24th April 2011, 04:14 PM   |  #10  
Flag Madison, WI
Thanks Meter: 524

1,383 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsego

i'm sure this has been answered already in this thread but whats so bad about moto is the locked bootloaders. While that may be a non issue for the masses its a huge issue on XDA. let's not forget the masses take their queue from us!

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread