Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT Forcing HSPA+/4G Data ???

Tip us?

johng75
Old
(Last edited by johng75; 18th February 2011 at 06:50 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 23
Question ATT Forcing HSPA+/4G Data ???

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=618639

DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 1GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1GB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY.

ATT is selling this type of data plan with the new ATRIX, what kind of impact could this have on us UNLIMITED 'Grandfathered' users that were thinking about buying the phone outright?

if i put my 3G card in, am i gonna get hosed? is ATT going to automatically try and switch my data plan to the 'required' plan for the 4G phone? even though i bought it outright? am i possibly going to have to fight to get the 'GFD' plan back after?

i know its all speculation at this point because the actual phone isnt out yet, but my gut tells me we might not like the answer...

naturefreak85
Old
Thanks Meter 157
I was wondering about the same thing, but I don't think we have to worry right now, I intend to get it then use it and in a month check, should they mess with me, I'll pull the information straight from their website with a datestamp that I printed stating that Grandfathered in gets to keep their plan. It really would be as simple as letting me keep it or I'll take my company off AT&T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johng75 View Post
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...questid=618639

DataPro 2GB for HSPA+/4G Smartphone includes 2GB. Once 2GB is exceeded, an additional 1GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1GB provided. Unused data usage does not carry over. For HSPA+/4G SmartPhones ONLY.

ATT is selling this type of data plan with the new ATRIX, what kind of impact could this have on us UNLIMITED 'Grandfathered' users that were thinking about buying the phone outright?

if i put my 3G card in, am i gonna get hosed? is ATT going to automatically try and switch my data plan to the 'required' plan for the 4G phone? even though i bought it outright? am i possibly going to have to fight to get the 'GFD' plan back after?

i know its all speculation at this point because the actual phone isnt out yet, but my gut tells me we might not like the answer...

ecapox
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturefreak85 View Post
I was wondering about the same thing, but I don't think we have to worry right now, I intend to get it then use it and in a month check, should they mess with me, I'll pull the information straight from their website with a datestamp that I printed stating that Grandfathered in gets to keep their plan. It really would be as simple as letting me keep it or I'll take my company off AT&T.
I was able to "upgrade" to the Atrix and i checked the option that said "I do not want to make changes to my data plan" since i am grandfathered in as truly "unlimited".

I dont expect to see any changes once i put my SIM card in. They relaxed their "grandfather" clause a little recently and im guessing what i experienced is exactly that. before they FORCED you to change your plan. Now you have an option.

ApplCobbler
Old
Thanks Meter 22
For people with unlimited plans, you can still keep it, it becomes an option on the data plan picker that only someone with an unlimited plan can see. And yes it is 4g ready. And no it doesn't cost any more money.

/thread

smitty1
Old
Thanks Meter 6
It is not a problem at all.

All you have to do is swap the sim. cards and you are good to go. Your plan does not change at all and AT$T isn't going to penalize you.

They are losing 16% of their customers do to the iphone switch.

seanfinn
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Yeah it won't be a problem switching from 3g to 4g unlimited ...I recently purchased the inspire all they did was change the code for the plan in the system for me,vi popped my sim card in and have hspa+ unlimited

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

AllTheWay
Old
Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 80
Trust me you can keep your unlimited data.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
Current Devices

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | LG G2 | Nokia Lumia 1520
Samsung Galaxy Note II | Nokia Lumia 920
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 | ASUS Vivo RT LTE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus

What is XDA-DEVS
RULES: Please read this before posting

andydumi
Old
Thanks Meter 14
I have a tangential question.

I know going over 2GB adds 1GB for $10 on Data Pro. But what if you exceed the 150mb on the Data lite? Does it auto bump you to 2GB and Data Pro for the month?

rodimus_prime
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If you have the unlimited data theres a new HSPA+ version of the unlimited plan that your moved to

in regards to the $15 plan its actually 200mB, not 150, if you go over your charged another 15 for another 200, if you go over that your billed another 15 for 200 more and so forth

Lastly if your buying a device like the Atrix your a moron to think 200MB for an entire month is going to cut it, in my opinion that plan shouldnt even be offered

andydumi
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hehe, so they charge you another $15 for 200MB but on the other plan its $10 for 1GB? Terrible.

I agree with you a 200MB plan likely wont get you anywhere unless you are covered by wi-fi everywhere you go and otherwise don't use data almost at all.

Also, how does tehthering work if you have a grandfathered unlimited plan? And could you not just root and use thethering without having the tetherming plan? Say if you were on the 2GB plan.