Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,412 Members 45,259 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Whoa! Got mine for 199 without contract!

Tip us?
 
domin8
Old
#1  
domin8's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Posts: 454
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Diego (619)
Default Whoa! Got mine for 199 without contract!

So i am not up for upgrade until march 2012 but i decided to check and see what the OTD price was thru att for the atrix on my account. I pulled it up, and oddly enough it showed 199!

I went through the checkout process, but it wouldnt fully process the final checkout because i have unlimited data and i wouldnt pick a new data plan. Instead, i printed out my cart showing the final price of 199 + tax and took it into our local ATT store.

Talked to the manager there and he said he'd grandfather my data plan in, AND honor the price given on the website! so i'm getting my atrix tuesday morning for 199 even tho i just used my upgrade for my captivate in july!

SO STOKED!
 
grave101
Old
#2  
grave101's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
How did you manage to get it for that price online? I'm in the same boat as you, I upgraded to my captivate in august and i'm not due for upgrade until 2012
 
Rock3nrenigade
Old
#3  
Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 49
Join Date: Mar 2006
If this is true, can you provide a few more details? I would also love to give this a shot.
Motorola Atrix 4G(fake) - Rooted - Att crap removed.
HTC Inspire 4G - Rooted - Android Revolution HD.
 
Arcadia310
Old
#4  
Arcadia310's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 101
Posts: 1,081
Join Date: Aug 2010
Holy cow. Is there any way this is possible if you aren't a current AT&T customer? Lol

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

Sidekick LX > HTC Espresso > Samsung Galaxy S I9000 > HTC Vision > HTC Glacier
 
waltah!
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 316
Join Date: May 2009
When they pay $500 for a phone it doesn't make sense for them to sell it for $200 without contract. It would never be able to happen in my store and my manager is extrememely lenient.
 
Simba501
Old
#6  
Simba501's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1131
Posts: 3,167
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8 View Post
So i am not up for upgrade until march 2012 but i decided to check and see what the OTD price was thru att for the atrix on my account. I pulled it up, and oddly enough it showed 199!

I went through the checkout process, but it wouldnt fully process the final checkout because i have unlimited data and i wouldnt pick a new data plan. Instead, i printed out my cart showing the final price of 199 + tax and took it into our local ATT store.

Talked to the manager there and he said he'd grandfather my data plan in, AND honor the price given on the website! so i'm getting my atrix tuesday morning for 199 even tho i just used my upgrade for my captivate in july!

SO STOKED!
Wtf.........
 
UTZorro
Old
#7  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jun 2007
Well, luckily with AT&T no phone of mine has ever really been "on a contract"... When I called the cancellation dept to preorder my Atrix....errr.... "switch to Verizon or Sprint".... They told me if I stayed, they'd cancel the last 10 months of my contract if i signed a new 2 year contract...and they gave me the Atrix for $174.99 with free overnight and no upgrade fee.... This is the same trick I pulled when I upgraded my phone last time 1 year into my 2 year contract! In other words, their "contract" is really BS if you talk to the right person in the cancellation dept who will keep throwing it out the window to keep you as a customer.
 
lost2030
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 11
Posts: 254
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTZorro View Post
Well, luckily with AT&T no phone of mine has ever really been "on a contract"... When I called the cancellation dept to preorder my Atrix....errr.... "switch to Verizon or Sprint".... They told me if I stayed, they'd cancel the last 10 months of my contract if i signed a new 2 year contract...and they gave me the Atrix for $174.99 with free overnight and no upgrade fee.... This is the same trick I pulled when I upgraded my phone last time 1 year into my 2 year contract! In other words, their "contract" is really BS if you talk to the right person in the cancellation dept who will keep throwing it out the window to keep you as a customer.
Nice!! Ive never tried that thinking they might go ahead and just cancel my service instead of giving me what I really want lol
 
UTZorro
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jun 2007
Don't worry about having that happen. The goal of their "cancellation dept" is to do just the opposite. It should be named the "retention dept"! The first thing the guy told me on the phone (which was kinda cheesy) was "I'm superman and I have superpowers to keep you a satisfied AT&T customer!" And he did indeed have the superpower to throw my existing contract out the window and alter the presale price of the Atrix. Just call up, act dissatisfied with your current phone...ask how much your termination fee is...point out that it's cheaper for you to switch carriers than pay full price for the phone... then you're on your way to a new cheap phone! :D
The Following User Says Thank You to UTZorro For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
UTZorro
Old
#10  
Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 34
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost2030 View Post
Nice!! Ive never tried that thinking they might go ahead and just cancel my service instead of giving me what I really want lol
Don't worry about having that happen. The goal of their "cancellation dept" is to do just the opposite. It should be named the "retention dept"! The first thing the guy told me on the phone (which was kinda cheesy) was "I'm superman and I have superpowers to keep you a satisfied AT&T customer!" And he did indeed have the superpower to throw my existing contract out the window and alter the presale price of the Atrix. Just call up, act dissatisfied with your current phone...ask how much your termination fee is...point out that it's cheaper for you to switch carriers than pay full price for the phone... then you're on your way to a new cheap phone! :D

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Control Your Toast Notifications with SlicedToasts

Toasts are delicious, even in their Android flavor. In Android, toast doesn’t lead … more

Rotation Lets You Take Full Control of Your Device’s Orientation Settings

To be brutally honest, the native options for screen … more

Change the Alarm Icon in the Status Bar with Xposed

It’s hard to find a more hated object than your alarm clock. They wake us up nearly … more

Return to Outer Space Outer Space with Ship Up Game

Since the release of Flappy Birds, we’ve had the “fortune” to see … more