Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Install Application From Browser

OP captmiddy

22nd February 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 16

69 posts
I am getting an Inspire to replace my messed up Captivate and end several months of frustration I hope. One thing is that I need to install some application from my company over the web. They are not in any market at all, we just follow a link and it downloads the apk file and then I can install them. I am not sure how far from the standard ROM I have to stray to allow me to install applications directly from the file system.

Is it enough to simply root the phone or do I need to actually place a custom ROM on the phone to get this feature? In my captivate I replaced the ROM as I needed Froyo to even use the applications but here the Inspire starts with Froyo so I am hoping I don't have to go that far.

I really wish ATT wasn't such a pain about locking down the market but allowed me to override it when I need to.
22nd February 2011, 07:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

136 posts
If you want to avoid rooting, etc (it's a pain in the ass on this phone) maybe you should just use the Sideload Wonder Machine?

http://www.androidcentral.com/sidelo...wonder-machine
The Following User Says Thank You to meatrocket For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2011, 09:07 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

69 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatrocket

If you want to avoid rooting, etc (it's a pain in the ass on this phone) maybe you should just use the Sideload Wonder Machine?

URL REMOVED BECAUSE I AM NEW

Well that will certainly get me there with some manual intervention, I will have to see if I can actually get to the mobile page to download the software from my standard desktop browser, or perhaps I can still download them then use the tool to actually install them. Decisions Decisions. Do you know if simply rooting the phone will allow me to do installs as I see fit? I am not relishing the work to root the phone but would like to know the options.
22nd February 2011, 09:52 PM   |  #4  
Flag Oregon

72 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmiddy

Well that will certainly get me there with some manual intervention, I will have to see if I can actually get to the mobile page to download the software from my standard desktop browser, or perhaps I can still download them then use the tool to actually install them. Decisions Decisions. Do you know if simply rooting the phone will allow me to do installs as I see fit? I am not relishing the work to root the phone but would like to know the options.

You can still download them to your phone, transfer it from your phone card to your pc and then install with SWM. That's what I do when I can't get them directly. You have to connect to your pc to use SWM already so you can do it in one fell swoop!
23rd February 2011, 12:43 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 2

69 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithevolution

You can still download them to your phone, transfer it from your phone card to your pc and then install with SWM. That's what I do when I can't get them directly. You have to connect to your pc to use SWM already so you can do it in one fell swoop!

the new version of SWM, u can install straight from the SD card, no need to move them over.
23rd February 2011, 01:35 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 1

63 posts
I do this same thing with screenconnect remote support software. I just use a user agent switcher for FireFox to download the apk and then just use sideload wonder machine.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread