That's the very first page that came up on my search, so I guess I did my job well for a noob XD
I created the wireless.tether folder on the root of my sdcard and deposited that .bin file as instructed. It seems to work ok.
Latest Wireless Tether app from google [I think it's 3.0 pre-14] seems to only work for me when I set it to ad-hoc mode, though I'm guessing that's fine. Encryption doesn't seem to work either as my desktop never asked me for my set password and it says the connection is unsecured when encryption is actually enabled.
And yes, I changed the port number on my desktop too.
With this app plus the proxy filter, I am still only pushing about 1.5mbps max; on a good day 2.0mbps, though on average I'm pushing dial-up speeds when browsing for extended periods of time.
Sadly, I think this is something I'm gonna have to live with. Thanks though since I never got the Wireless Tether app to work before.