4G Tethering over WiFi Speed Issues?

Tip us?

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by soma1509 View Post
That's the very first page that came up on my search, so I guess I did my job well for a noob XD

I created the wireless.tether folder on the root of my sdcard and deposited that .bin file as instructed. It seems to work ok.

Latest Wireless Tether app from google [I think it's 3.0 pre-14] seems to only work for me when I set it to ad-hoc mode, though I'm guessing that's fine. Encryption doesn't seem to work either as my desktop never asked me for my set password and it says the connection is unsecured when encryption is actually enabled.

And yes, I changed the port number on my desktop too.

With this app plus the proxy filter, I am still only pushing about 1.5mbps max; on a good day 2.0mbps, though on average I'm pushing dial-up speeds when browsing for extended periods of time.

Sadly, I think this is something I'm gonna have to live with. Thanks though since I never got the Wireless Tether app to work before.
Well, just looking, you said 'wireless.tether' folder; it should have been android.tether on the root of the sd card, did you name it correctly?
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
Teh Kernel kill count: 3
</3

If you wanna chat, message me.
Xbox Live: teh roxxorz [haven't re-up'd on live]
PSN [PS3 | PS4]: tehroxxorz666 [Where you'll likely find me]

Thanks to everyone to registered to dropbox via my link, you know who you are.

For the first time in XDA HISTORY! > I wore a sig...this feels....awkward
The Following User Says Thank You to teh roxxorz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

soma1509
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz View Post
Well, just looking, you said 'wireless.tether' folder; it should have been android.tether on the root of the sd card, did you name it correctly?
android.tether is indeed what I named my new folder [after I double checked]. Pardon me for my idiocy of mixing up names here XD

Bottom line is: it works, but I wish it was faster.

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by soma1509 View Post
android.tether is indeed what I named my new folder [after I double checked]. Pardon me for my idiocy of mixing up names here XD

Bottom line is: it works, but I wish it was faster.
It happens.

Well I wish it could be faster for you, but at that point, its a matter of signal strength.
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

The difference between the strong and weak willed is that the weak traverse with wounds covered up and hide when attacked, while the strong stride on with open hands and tears. Wounds bared open, and will continue to go on, even when broken at their core

Nexus 5
</3

The Following User Says Thank You to teh roxxorz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dezel29
Old
Thanks Meter 7
been using this for awhile now with great success...then a few days ago everything disappeared with my speeds...if i run speedtest on the phone i get 5-7 mbs....run it on the pc and its 1-3...but web pages still take forever to load, etc...have reinstalled proxy several times and toggled back n forth with firefoxs proxies...gettting really aggravated...i have excellent coverage of 4G btw..the longer i use the internet the slower the speeds get...is sprint throttling me ?? please help if ya can...ty
EVO 4G - NS4G - E4GT

Asus Transformer

living in a 4G town and to be honest i am not impressed with it...

join for free and receive 2.5 GB free online storage !!!

claycmk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
What is the best way to test if this is working. Do I need to run the speedtest.net on the tethered computer or are the read-out speeds accurate on the wifi tether app?

teh roxxorz
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezel29 View Post
been using this for awhile now with great success...then a few days ago everything disappeared with my speeds...if i run speedtest on the phone i get 5-7 mbs....run it on the pc and its 1-3...but web pages still take forever to load, etc...have reinstalled proxy several times and toggled back n forth with firefoxs proxies...gettting really aggravated...i have excellent coverage of 4G btw..the longer i use the internet the slower the speeds get...is sprint throttling me ?? please help if ya can...ty
Have you tried clearing out your browser's cache and fragmenting your pc?
この こえ かれて も きえない メロヂー

Nexus 5
</3

paperc07
Old
Thanks Meter 0
thank you for this

djtonyb33
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Smile Update

After a couple of months, I have to say that this fix has been one of the most valuable things I have found on xda... I still have some intermittent issues, but with the filter proxy app running I am getting between 1-6 mbps download on 4g, but with the proxy off I can't break 1 mbps at all... I also believe the proxy pushes my 3g a little faster, but that just may be my imagination (3g runs between .8 and 1.5 mbps). I was consistently getting 4g speeds lower than 3g before I was running filter proxy.

Thanks again to Dees, as I was just about ready to throw the EVO out the window!

Efferri
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Great work on this! If everything were THIS easy to setup, I'd be out of a job!

dezel29
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh roxxorz View Post
Have you tried clearing out your browser's cache and fragmenting your pc?
yes i have...no luck...i keep getting a proxy server is refusing connections...

have restarted the proxy app and pc too, nothing works...

everything was working fine then all of a sudden nothing...my phone will show speed test at 8mb down, but IF i am even able to load a webpage i am getting 2-3 mb down it says, but webpages barely load if at all
EVO 4G - NS4G - E4GT

Asus Transformer

living in a 4G town and to be honest i am not impressed with it...

join for free and receive 2.5 GB free online storage !!!