[KERNEL LIST] Galaxy S I9000 Custom KERNEL List [08.05.2011]
This is a list of custom kernels, not ROMs and there are kernels that aren't listed here yet (either new kernels or newer versions), so be patient - I'll try to update ASAP (or when I feel like it )
It is meant for people who want's to find out what kind of different kernels there are in XDA forums and then users are able download/install kernel that he/she wants to try out. This is not about comparison of kernels (but you can vote the best kernel), just a simple list of links to kernels and some basic info about those - so users don't need to search the whole 'Galaxy S I9000 Android Development' thread to find suitable kernel.
Thanks for feedback and updates. You can write a reply or send PM if you see new kernels lying around (that are not listed here) or just if you have any questions or so...
NOTE: Me or kernel developers are not responsible any problems caused by installed kernels. By flashing your SGS (or even installing su?) might void warranty. Before flashing check that your phone can go to download mode.
Some important information about the listed items.
The information about listed kernels are stripped due to size limitation of single message and therefore I couldn't include all posible information about each kernels. Remember to check peroidically this list of kernels from their threads for possible updates (once a day/week/month).
The reason for splitting list to two messages is the limit on one message size.
Remember that some kernels have both Froyo and Gingerbread versions (and some even eiclar), for example [16.04.2011][CF-Root 3.1] JP*,JS*,JQ3,JV1/K/B - su+bb+2e/CWM - rfs+ext4
and that's why it is listed in both lists
Please notify me (pm or whatever) if I have made a mistake and some item should be in other list or both lists.
The Gingerbread kernel List
ps. Sorry about some problems in links, colors etc...
I edited this list with separate text editor - not in browser.
Included in the image are:
- own busybox 1.18.4
- TUN support
- No more RFS at all (if you want)
- JVB source based
- CWM 126.96.36.199
- security fixes
- low latency
- filesystems: jfs, ext2/3/4 (using ext4 driver), reiserfs, rfs (not on Ultra)
- CIFS support
- Voodoo SoundV8
- Preemptive RCU (only on Ultra)
++++++++++++[16.04.2011][CF-Root 3.1] JP*,JS*,JQ3,JV1/K/B - su+bb+2e/CWM - rfs+ext4 ++++++++++++ NOTE! This kernel is listed in both Gingerbread and Foyo lists
This rooted kernel is for the "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root takes the kernel from an original Samsung firmware, and just adds root, busybox, unprotected recovery, and CWM compatibility.
If you are looking for highly optimized kernels or kernels that perform specific functions, look elsewhere. All CF-Root's are based on original Samsung kernels, they are NOT recompiled, and thus ensure maximum compatibility.
THIS IS NOT A ROM - it is only a kernel. You need to have a firmware already on your device. You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. You DO need to read the instructions.
MAKE SURE YOUR PHONE CAN ENTER DOWNLOAD MODE USING THE KEYCOMBINATION WHILE BOOTING BEFORE FLASHING CF-ROOT (or anything, really)
There have now been over 200.000 downloads of CF-Root and many more if you include ROMs, kernels, ect that use it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!)
- The kernel is fully stock and taken from the original firmware, with just the following added:
- Superuser 188.8.131.52 FROYO ( CF-Root < 2.4 versions )
---- Busybox 1.15.3 or 1.17.1 (if not mentioned in the filename it is 1.15.3)
---- "2e" recovery (can flash unsigned update.zip's)
---- Integrated fix for ClockworkMod's nandroid (184.108.40.206+) GINGERBREAD ( CF-Root >= 2.4 versions, JVK and newer )
---- Busybox v1.16.2androidminimal (from CWM)
---- Integrated CWM 220.127.116.11 / RFS
These kernels are provided as-is without warranty. I'm not responsible for any problem you can encounter with your phone or if your cat suddenly dies.
Although, don't expect support even if I will eventually help since I love cats.
Note : These kernels are only compatible with CM7 and MIUI roms !
- Up to 1.5GHz CPU OC and 247MHz GPU OC (Thanks morfic)
- Undervolting using Pimp my CPU or Voltage Control
- Voodoo Sound & Voodoo Color (Thanks Supercurio)
- FPS uncap (from 56 to 66) from JPX source Reverted for now.
- Various tweaks for more smoothness and reliability CHANGELOGS IN #2 POST
This is a basic test version of the SpeedMod kernel for Gingerbread.
This kernel is for the International Galaxy S GT-I9000
This kernel has NO LAGFIX support yet. Please UNDO LAGFIXES before flashing this kernel.
There is also no built-in CWM Recovery yet.
For now it has:
- MDNIE Sharpness Fix and some color tuning
- FM Radio sound fixes based on Voodoo Sound
- Conservative CPU governor for better battery life
- Volume level fixes
- Startup script tweaks
- Disabled Android Debug Logger / logcat
- Updated to jhash3
- Improvements to sound quality: 128x oversampling, disable DRC and de-emphasis
- Compiled with O3 optimizations using latest codesourcery 2010.09 toolchain
I'll implement the SpeedMod Froyo features bit by bit as I have the time to.
TEST VERSION: K15D-T4:
- With 334MB RAM
- Fixes front camera problem
- Disabled kernel debug logs / printk
Join us on freenode: #suckerpunch
Huge special thanks to Xcaliburinhand and eXistZ (current co-dev), without them, this kernel wouldn't eXistZ.
Talon Kernel build 0.1.4:
Reorient by Xcal
Voodoo Color Fix
Voodoo Sound v8
Wired Headset Support
Audio Dock Support
Battery Polling set to 60s
Set Light Sensor Polling to 1s
OC/UV support up to 1.2ghz
Stochastic Fair Blue (SFB) network scheduler
Disabled Android Logger (Logcat) // Not sure how this is a feature, but I'll look into it.
Few Upstream Fixes
341 MB of RAM! ZOMG
More OC/UV levels coming soon
* jhash3 for better reliability (data connections)
* Voodoo Sound & Color
* simple i/o scheduler for better speed & performance
* preemptive tree RCU with smaller fanout value (better efficiency, speed & less memory usage with read-write-operations)
* SLQB for more efficient & faster handling of files in memory
* kernel & app security features (fstack-protector, better ASLR, disabled access to DEVKMEM & DEVMEM, ...)
* network security (syncookies; only secure redirects allowed; higher number of outstanding syn requests allowed; disabled warnings for invalid responses to broadcast frames; enabled window scaling; disabled IP dynaddr & ECN; log and drop "martian" packets; protection against: broadcast pings and smurf attacks, redirects for IP source routing, non-secure redirects, DoS (syn-flood) attacks, IP-Spoofing)
* disabled kernel DEBUG & disabled DEBUG in kernel code
* support of more encryption ciphers
* utf8 support (international)
* fixed & improved CFQ i/o scheduler (option)
* BFQ i/o scheduler (option)
* tweaked ondemand governor (raised the min_sample_rate of ondemand cpufreq governor to 9500)
* interactive cpufreq governor (option)
* smartass cpufreq governor (option)
* OC/UV support (option) (thanks to morfic, TheEscapist & bilboa1)
* laststufo's optimized CFLAGSfor more speed (kudos & thanks to laststufo !)
* compiled with CodeSourcery 2010.09 toolchain (better code quality, stability & speed)
* CPU (CFS) scheduler optimizations (optimized branch brediction for more speed, low latency, load balancing); tighter scheduler timings for more speed & responsiveness;
* optimized cacheflushs for user apps (speeds up emulators and specific apps)
* optimized OOM (out of memory killer; apps being removed out of memory - when memory is full)
* faster deactivation & reclaim of invalidated pages (memory faster being available again after big file operations)
* vmscan & other fixes (better responsiveness with lots of read/writes & under load)
* ck-patches (patches by Con Kolivas, mm-lru_cache_add_lru_tail for more efficient memory usage)
* optimized writeback handling (less hangs & waits during write operations)
* script: 90screenstate_scaling: lots of CFS, writeback and cpufreq governor tweaks (less cpu ticks, less cpu looping & delayed writeback - better battery runtime)
* script: 89system_tweak: tweaks for faster data throughput; caller ringdelay (1 second); energy savings for CPU in standby mode, energy savings for radio; WIFI scaninterval to 180 seconds
* CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y & CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
* CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT & CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER
* Stochastic Fair Blue (SFB) network scheduler for default network scheduler - kudos to the zen-kernel / zen-droid team !
* lots of fixes: fix potential memory corruption in buddy allocator of page allocator; potential lags / hangs / looping; security hole in tipc; potential deadlock in radix-tree
* data safety (2 patches of Nick Piggin's Inode integrity patches)
* [improved battery runtime] delay going tickless when CPU is loaded
* kernel timer at 128 Hz; USER_HZ 150 Hz; HIGH_RES_TIMER 300 Hz
* Google WIFI fix to let the CPU sleep more during non-usage of WIFI
* Wii Remote support (bluetooth profile)
* working kernel modules: ansi_cprng, bcm4329 (WIFI), cifs, scsi_wait_scan, tun
* ext4 stability & data integrity fixes
* LED notification (by bilboa1) (short howto and FAQ)
* removing of the FPS limit (by bilboa1)
* DockSound support
* adjustments to the haptic feedback (by bilboa1)
* higher battery charging temperature [experimental, upstream]
* zram (successor of ramzswap / compcache - swapfile in RAM) [option]
* removed (commented out) several limits from the init scripts
* optimization for sqlite database files (speeding up system & apps)
* optimized conservative & ondemand governors
* [upstream] fixed BUG with ARM and delays during cpufreq switching
* disable FM RDS radio for now - potential battery drain & does not work [less battery drain]
* disable SWAP and zram - zram breaks stuff and enabled SWAP-support might be a battery drain, also disable the xvmalloc [less battery drain]
* enable KSM and uaccess with memcpy
* 1:1 CFLAGS from laststufo (Ultimate SO-Kernel flags) and replacement of soft pipelining with module scheduling (internal compiler error)
* kernel compiled with Thumb instruction set - more efficient (performance) & battery savings
* disable VGA console (broken - compile errors) & disable FRAMEBUFFER CONSOLE (broke lock-screen and stuff)
* practically eliminated all lags - (potentially) lagfree
* tweaks to CFS cpu scheduler
* tweaks to conservative governor script
* improved read & write values (write: 4.3 vs. 7.1; read: 11.7 vs. 16.9)
* allow using LED while screen on [thanks to bilboa1 !]
* working external SD card access
* and everything I might have forgotten
This is a dev-in-progress Ext4 Kernel based on Voodoo code for Samsung's Gingerbread.
Fixed since last release:
- conversion voices. Bye chipmunk, hello Linda!
- disk-free checks
- Well integrated CWM 3.x
- Performance / Smoothness optimizations if any.
Show some support in donation to help a true stable port!
rooting is as easy as installing Superuser from market.
You can control the Ext4 lagfix status with Voodoo control
Kernels are not yet supported, bug reports are now welcome
Dev & hack discussion is always welcome!
Another Sticky material. I hope you keep updating this list for it to remain stickied.
I have rated this thread with 5 stars.
PS : You could actually make sections for 2.1, 2.2, 2.2.1. For example, there are some old 2.1 kernels lying out there that can be helpful to some users. Maybe you can include lagfixes like OCLF with warnings on when & when NOT to use it.
if you like what I say, there is always a THANKS button below.
One suggestion, why don't you put up a voting section so the users can select which kernel they like most. This would be great help for newbies. I personally love speedmod kernel, have been using it ever since I got my SGS in Dec.
Stillimages can bebeautiful, but some of you prefer to see animations on your screens. … more
17 Sep 2014
By Tomek Kondrat
XDA Developers was founded by developers, for developers. It is now a valuable resource for people who want to make the most of their mobile devices, from customizing the look and feel to adding new functionality. Are you a developer?