[GUIDE] Unlocking (& Re-locking) the Motorola Xoom for flashing
The following will VOID your warranty but will easily unlock the Xoom for fast software flashes using a custom recovery and will allow flashing root files or manipulated system files on to your current software installation.
This will ERASE your Xoom.
1) Get the Motorola USB drivers MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers
(you need to sign up on their but maybe you can google this and find it as well)
2) Get the Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers
(you only really need the fastboot executable file for your host OS)
2.5) - I will soon put together a windows pack for usb drivers & fastboot so you don't have to download all this stuff just to do one task.
3) Power off your Xoom
4) Press and hold the volume down button while pressing the power button
Even after the Xoom turns back on keep it pressed down and you'll see some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left of the screen.
5) Open a command window in your sdk\tools folder (not platform tools and depending on when you get the SDK you may need to copy over some DLL files)
7) read the warning on your Xoom's screen, hit volume up if you wish.
You're now free to put whatever data you want on your tablet. Cheers.
-- To RE-LOCK your Xoom, boot in to fastboot, and on your computer (from the tools folder):
Read this warning:
You actually have to read the warning and understand it - If you have modified your Xoom's software outside of the user space you won't be able to successfully re-lock your device. You'll have to restore it back to 100% factory, which you can do here: http://developer.motorola.com/produc...rm=unlockboard
(The Verizon Wireless stock software).