5,599,033 Members 31,648 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Unlocking (& Re-locking) the Motorola Xoom for flashing

Tip us?

thefredelement
Old
(Last edited by thefredelement; 29th March 2011 at 01:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Default [GUIDE] Unlocking (& Re-locking) the Motorola Xoom for flashing

The following will VOID your warranty but will easily unlock the Xoom for fast software flashes using a custom recovery and will allow flashing root files or manipulated system files on to your current software installation.

This will ERASE your Xoom.

1) Get the Motorola USB drivers MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers (you need to sign up on their but maybe you can google this and find it as well)

2) Get the Android SDK Android SDK | Android Developers (you only really need the fastboot executable file for your host OS)

2.5) - I will soon put together a windows pack for usb drivers & fastboot so you don't have to download all this stuff just to do one task.

3) Power off your Xoom

4) Press and hold the volume down button while pressing the power button

Even after the Xoom turns back on keep it pressed down and you'll see some starting fastboot protocol text on the top left of the screen.

5) Open a command window in your sdk\tools folder (not platform tools and depending on when you get the SDK you may need to copy over some DLL files)

6) type:

Quote:
fastboot oem unlock
7) read the warning on your Xoom's screen, hit volume up if you wish.

You're now free to put whatever data you want on your tablet. Cheers.

-- To RE-LOCK your Xoom, boot in to fastboot, and on your computer (from the tools folder):

Quote:
fastboot oem lock
Read this warning:

You actually have to read the warning and understand it - If you have modified your Xoom's software outside of the user space you won't be able to successfully re-lock your device. You'll have to restore it back to 100% factory, which you can do here: http://developer.motorola.com/produc...rm=unlockboard (The Verizon Wireless stock software).
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to thefredelement For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brockwitting
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This wouldn't negate the free LTE upgrade would it?

thefredelement
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
I'm not sure. I'd say you should re-lock the boot loader and restore any custom stuff to factory before you send it back in though.
The Following User Says Thank You to thefredelement For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

youareme7
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I'm curious, what are the hardware ids in the usb driver when the xoom is in fastboot? Is the usb driver that is active while it's in fastboot called something like single adb device?
Thanks!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App

djunio
Old
Thanks Meter 10

DONATE TO ME
How do you relock it?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
Rooted Black G1
Rooted G2
Rooted Nexus One
Rooted Vibrant
Rooted MT4G
HD2 triple boot of Miri/Froyo/Sense Froyo
Rooted G-Tablet
Rooted Xoom
Android news

padanfain
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Wow, that has to be the easiest unlock I have ever seen. Does this mean we will not have to install something like Amon's RA Recovery to flash ROMs whenever people get a chance to make them?

Also, if we issue a fastbook oem lock (or whatever the proper command is), can we then send it in for repairs? in other words, is there some history on the device that says I unlocked it?
The Following User Says Thank You to padanfain For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thefredelement
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by youareme7 View Post
I'm curious, what are the hardware ids in the usb driver when the xoom is in fastboot? Is the usb driver that is active while it's in fastboot called something like single adb device?
Thanks!

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
Windows first found it as fastboot, then I got the moto driver from their dev site and I didn't look what it was called after that. I think a Moto composite device or something, I'm pretty sure it installed 3 drivers. I will double check when I'm back home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djunio View Post
How do you relock it?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
I'm not sure but I would say "fastboot oem lock" should probably work. - What I am really curious about is if fastboot oem unlcok writes something to the tablet somewhere that lets Moto/VZW know it was unlocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padanfain View Post
Wow, that has to be the easiest unlock I have ever seen. Does this mean we will not have to install something like Amon's RA Recovery to flash ROMs whenever people get a chance to make them?

Also, if we issue a fastbook oem lock (or whatever the proper command is), can we then send it in for repairs? in other words, is there some history on the device that says I unlocked it?
We'll still need a custom recovery to make life easier, but after you unlock it you can push any files/images to wherever you want.

The unlock screen makes you agree to the fact you're voiding your warranty. I'm not sure if re-locking it will be enough and I'd venture to speculate that there should be a difference between a hardware fail and software fail for warranty work. I guess we'll see.

mikejs78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefredelement View Post

This will ERASE your Xoom.
What does this mean? Does unlocking the device wipe everything, or just wipe data/cache? Is system effected just by executing this, or are you referring to the flash process?

thefredelement
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejs78 View Post
What does this mean? Does unlocking the device wipe everything, or just wipe data/cache? Is system effected just by executing this, or are you referring to the flash process?
It's a factory reset.

ejlax
Old
Thanks Meter 3
i know this was the same unlock for Nexus One, but will this give us root? has anyone attempted to install SuperUser.apk and su?