Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,957 Members 38,708 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Did you have to pay for activation on your Xoom?
Nope! I got mine at Verizon! 9 25.00%
Yes, even though I got mine at Verizon. 4 11.11%
No fee at BestBuy! 5 13.89%
BestBuy forced me into the fee. I feel abused. 4 11.11%
Costco is free of fees! 3 8.33%
Costco emptied my wallet with the fee, but 90 day returns feels nice. 8 22.22%
Yes, I paid it, but I wanted a data plan anyhow. 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Did you have to pay an activation fee with your Xoom?

Tip us?

Sirchuk
Old
(Last edited by Sirchuk; 24th February 2011 at 03:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 38
Default Did you have to pay an activation fee with your Xoom?

Verizon contacted Engadget and stated today that the activation fee and month of service for those buying the Xoom at full price is no longer necessary.

I'm curious if you had to pay the fee or not. I intend on purchasing from Costco when they open in about 3 hours. I'm going to show them the article if they give me any flack, and I'll post back here.

Quote:
Update: Verizon's been in touch to inform us of a policy change: customers who purchase the off-contract Xoom will now no longer need to be on a month to month plan. That said, we still see "Month to Month" as a compulsory option at the time of updating this post.
Rooted Android Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S4
Kindle Fire HD
HTC EVO 4G LTE
Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom - Verizon
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Hero
HTC T-Mobile G1

bogatyr
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I bought from a VZW corporate store this morning, full price, no activation required. She asked me if I was just using for wifi or if I wanted data, I said wifi and that was it.

generic.imitation
Old
Thanks Meter 69
I'm in Iraq currently, so i had to get it overnighted to my wife and she has to activate it. I paid the activation fee...then, immediately after it is activated I am calling vzw and placing it on military suspension, and getting the activation fee credited to my account. they don't ship to APO addresses, and it has to be activated over the cell network if you get it subsidized.

hopefully, I can cancel the contract later this year. I've done it on ATT before.

ghodzilla5150
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirchuk View Post
Verizon contacted Engadget and stated today that the activation fee and month of service for those buying the Xoom at full price is no longer necessary.

I'm curious if you had to pay the fee or not. I intend on purchasing from Costco when they open in about 3 hours. I'm going to show them the article if they give me any flack, and I'll post back here.

I need to know too. I am going to Costco in 3 hours and would like to just purchase the unit without activation and data plan

Jrockttu
Old
Thanks Meter 477

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodzilla5150 View Post
I need to know too. I am going to Costco in 3 hours and would like to just purchase the unit without activation and data plan
The official statement is from Verizon, and it's my understanding that it's the Verizon booth in Costco that activates the 3g on the device. If someone tells me I must get 3g, I'm going to mention to them the official Verizon stance and ask if they can contact their corporate office to check.

setite
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodzilla5150 View Post
ditto tenchar

harajuka
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Got mine at Costco this morning, and they made me signup for a plan... I told him Verizon doesn't require this anymore but rep insisted he has to sign me up for plan. He even proceeds to fill out a rebate form for me, even though I told him im going to cancel within the 72hr period anyways. Oh well...

setite
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by harajuka View Post
Got mine at Costco this morning, and they made me signup for a plan... I told him Verizon doesn't require this anymore but rep insisted he has to sign me up for plan. He even proceeds to fill out a rebate form for me, even though I told him im going to cancel within the 72hr period anyways. Oh well...
I was afraid of this. Verizon probably has no intention of rushing to get the information out there hoping to still snag some undeserved money.

Adam B.
Old
Thanks Meter 22
I got mine at Best Buy and they let me sign up without a plan... But the girl at the register didn't really know what she was doing.

ghodzilla5150
Old
Thanks Meter 38
I am taking my EVO with me. I already have the Engadget page ready to show if they give me an crap about fees. They are a Verizon kiosk (Verizon Representative) and should honor what Verizon is doing. If they are doing it in the Verizon stores, they should do it at their kiosks as well.