[GUIDE] COMPLETE GUIDE TO ROOT, S-OFF and FLASHING A ROM
**NOTE** I just copied this over from www.rootmydroid.co.uk
where i published it first. It is here for ease of access **NOTE**
So, recently i have found myself having to root a couple of HD's for friends..
Subsequently i discovered that the information on the topic is pretty ambiguous, so in this guide i aim to make everything that you need to know clear and put all the files you need all in one location.
So here goes..
**This is a risky process. I nor anyone on the rootmydroid team will accept any responsibility for anything that may happen to your device.**
**It is also worth keeping a "safety net" just in case. I advise heading over to www.shipped-roms.com and under the alias "ACE" find the RUU that matches your current software number, i.e 1.32.xxxxxx**
**To make life easier, download the following apps from the market:**
* ES File Explorer
* ROM Manager
1) Make sure that your software version is 1.32.xxxxx or you will not be able to root!
It contains a new version of HBOOT that breaks root and standard S-OFF.
2) Download Paul@modaco's visionary root tool
(download at the end of post)
3) Install it on your HD
Plug your HD in to your PC and select "Mount as disk drive". It should then appear on your PC and you can proceed to drag and drop the "visionary.apk" onto the root of your SD card (not in any folders). Alternatively, you can do it OTA via dropbox.
4) Run it and enable "Set system r/w after boot" Then click "Temproot Now" and wait until it is finished.
5) Once it has finished click "Permroot Now"
Your DHD will automatically reboot, do not worry.
To determine whether this worked or not, open up connectbot
and on the drop-down menu on the bottom left corner select "local"
login as a whatever you like, for example "rootmydroid" and then type "su"
then hit enter. If a "#"
comes up, then the rooting process was successful.
Right next up, install the "Engineering version of HBOOT" (hacked).
**WARNING** This process is inherently risky. Ensure that you follow these instructions TO THE LETTER, or you will end up with a fancy paperweight. **WARNING**
1) Download sfjuocekr 's DHD script for flashing HBOOT from the end of the post
2) Unzip it and copy it to your SD card. Ensure it is on the root of your SD (not in any folders)
Note that it will come in two folders "DHD-Smart" and "DHD-Dumb" from my experience, rename the "DHD-Smart" folder to "DHD".
3) (After unplugging your device) Run connectbot in local mode just like earlier, and type:
(then hit enter)
* sh /sdcard/DHD/check
(ensure that you type "sh")
* (Provided everything went ok) sh /sdcard/DHD/backup
* (If this also went ok) sh /sdcard/DHD/hboot
The script should then install the engineering version of HBOOT and achieve S-OFF.
Woop, everything risky is pretty much done for now. Now we can sit back and not be too tense whilst we install a custom recovery image. Luckily this is made easy via ROM manager (which you should already have installed if you followed my instruction).
1) Run ROM manager and select the first option "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"
2) Wait until ROM manager says that the process is complete
(Somewhere along the way a superuser request may pop up asking for permission. This is fine, just click allow.)
3) After installation select the option "Reboot into recovery" to ensure that everything went ok
(From my experience this does not actually take you directly to recovery. From the screen it takes you to use the volume keys to scroll and select "Recovery" then use the power button to select.)
4) Your DHD should then reboot into ClockworkMod recovery
Next up is installing a custom ROM. To do this find the ROM that you like the most from www.xda-developers.com
. I recommend either LeeDroid or AndroidRevolutionHD.
1) Download the ROM of your choice and place it on the root of your SD card.
2) Reboot into recovery
3) Go to "Nandroid" and perform a backup
4) Once the backup has completed select "wipe data/factory reset" then "wipe cache partition"
5) Go to "Install ZIP from SDCARD" and select your ROM from the list
6) Wait for it to finish installing
7) Once completed, go back and select "Reboot" at the top of the list
(Note that the first boot may take up to 20 minutes, so do not be alarmed. Whatever you do, do not panic and pull the battery half way through the boot or you WILL brick.)
Voila! You are fully rooted, have S-OFF and have flashed a custom ROM!
If at any point you need help please come to our live help at: http://bit.ly/g776Yz
Or feel free to contact me at: email@example.com
Links for files needed:
Props to paul@modaco for his awesome "visionary" app and sfjouecker for his equally awesome script.