No need to tether Wifi... Bluetooth tether works

25th February 2011, 06:28 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 18

55 posts
I have a droidX, and was syncing the two devices to push a file across them when I saw bluetooth tethering... it works flawlessly. I never even heard about this during all the "screw the data plan, I'll wifi tether my tablet" hoo-ha.

Basically: sync up a phone with the tablet so they see each other.

Then go into bluetooth settings on the Xoom: settings > wireless and networks > bluetooth settings > paired devices > (YOUR PHONE)... and click the wrench icon. There's a tether option right there sitting in broad daylight... no need to even have a rooted handset I guess?

works great for me.

baller status.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ixobelle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
25th February 2011, 06:41 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 138

811 posts
Cool! That's great for those of us with OG Droids who can't use infrastructure mode.

I'm curious though. If I'm tethering via bluetooth, will I simultaneously be able to use my bluetooth headset with the XOOM, or my Droid for that matter?
25th February 2011, 07:03 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 13

39 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixobelle

I have a droidX, and was syncing the two devices to push a file across them when I saw bluetooth tethering... it works flawlessly. I never even heard about this during all the "screw the data plan, I'll wifi tether my tablet" hoo-ha.

Basically: sync up a phone with the tablet so they see each other.

Then go into bluetooth settings on the Xoom: settings > wireless and networks > bluetooth settings > paired devices > (YOUR PHONE)... and click the wrench icon. There's a tether option right there sitting in broad daylight... no need to even have a rooted handset I guess?

works great for me.

baller status.

Good lord! This actually freaking works! I'm typing this post from my Xoom that is bluetooth tethered to my droidx. Thank you google for this crazy easter egg :)
25th February 2011, 10:58 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Ok, I may be dumb and not really familiar with bluetooth, but can I get some help with this? I've got them paired, but how do I get them to connect?
25th February 2011, 11:37 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
so does this mean anyone with a smartphone data plan should not need the pLAN for xoom?

I dont see a tether option.

Same with me, paired but not connected.

Verizon fascinate.
Last edited by epik151; 25th February 2011 at 11:56 AM.
25th February 2011, 12:01 PM   |  #6  
Lehigh Valley
Thanks Meter: 3

22 posts
More
My Dx pairs but is unable to connect :(
25th February 2011, 01:52 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 9

43 posts
I'm trying to connect to my OG droid and I am having trouble connecting as well. It pairs just fine. To the users having trouble, are you rooted with a custom rom and kernel? I'm trying to narrow this issue since others on the same mobile device are having success.
25th February 2011, 02:10 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 3

42 posts
This doest work on atrix

Sent from my MB860 using XDA App
25th February 2011, 02:21 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

88 posts
More
Do you have to be rooted (on the phone side) to be able to successfully do this? I have a Droid X and tried tethering my PSP the other night and no luck, might be a similar situation.
25th February 2011, 02:25 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Droid Incredible. Which is rooted with a custom ROM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread