Thoughts about Sprint going to LTE
I have some theories about why Sprint might be going to LTE. Qualcomm has integrated LTE into their newer Snapdragon chips.
1) No need for additional wimax chip
2) Possible better integration into OS, particularly if Google adds LTE to Android.
3) Possible seamless transitions to 4G/3G
4) Mfrs. will be making LTE phones for AT&T and Veirzon. Adding Wimax for Sprint will add to design/implementation/testing cost.
5) Verizon is doing the work for Voice (and text) over LTE, may be easier to piggyback off of that than to develop it for WiMax
6) LTE is already specified/tested for the 800 Mhz bandwidth that Sprint wants to deploy 4G on whereas Wimax is not