[Q] From CDMA to GSM via Firmware Update ?

OP snowg

26th February 2011, 06:15 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

11 posts
I've read that XOOM use the Radio chip Qualcomm MDM6600 ( the same of Iphone 4 ) and that is compatible with CDMA and also GSM network.
If it's true there's a way to set the actual CDMA Xoom for using GSM net with a cooked firmware ?
27th February 2011, 04:04 AM   |  #2  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 293

1,734 posts
More
Not possible. Verizon's Xoom does not have GSM, only CDMA and LTE down the road.
27th February 2011, 04:33 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLugard

Not possible. Verizon's Xoom does not have GSM, only CDMA and LTE down the road.

I'm pretty sure the iFixit tear down indicated that the verizon xoom had gsm hardware inside that just wasnt activated.
27th February 2011, 04:41 AM   |  #4  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 1,715

7,850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkeane88

I'm pretty sure the iFixit tear down indicated that the verizon xoom had gsm hardware inside that just wasnt activated.

But isn't the LTE simcard bigger than a normal phone SIM card?
27th February 2011, 05:34 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 15

196 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowg

I've read that XOOM use the Radio chip Qualcomm MDM6600 ( the same of Iphone 4 ) and that is compatible with CDMA and also GSM network.
If it's true there's a way to set the actual CDMA Xoom for using GSM net with a cooked firmware ?

The chip is a world capable but the radio with it is cdma so it can't work on GSM networks unlessbit has a GSM radio. The chip probably just makes it easier for moto to produce xooms without having buy separate parts when GSM version comes out.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
9th March 2012, 02:39 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Developer
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 255

813 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by socomdark

The chip is a world capable but the radio with it is cdma so it can't work on GSM networks unlessbit has a GSM radio. The chip probably just makes it easier for moto to produce xooms without having buy separate parts when GSM version comes out.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Hmmm. Pretty sure that's wrong. The chip is the actual modem - it is what *modulates*/*demodulates* digital signals to/from the radio. The "radio" is merely a power transmitter/receiver; the modem is what controls what the radio signals mean. As long as the radio is tuned for the right frequencies, it should work.
9th March 2012, 01:29 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

17 posts
So, is it possible or not? Has anyone tried it?
9th March 2012, 04:59 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Developer
Flag Fontana, CA
Thanks Meter: 6,134

3,173 posts
Donate to Me
More
I'd just buy a data dongle and have the best of both. CDMA -> GSM has brick written all over it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread