Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,143 Members 51,440 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SetCPU and overclocking

Tip us?

TEK112
Old
Thanks Meter 462
This thread is full of fail, can we just burn it ceremonially?
The Following User Says Thank You to TEK112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

luigic81
Old
Thanks Meter 35
well sorry to resurrect this thread lol

But I just installed the latest version of setcpu on my tab "2.1.1a" and I'm running caulkins rom with the latest clemsyn kernel.

I know we cant OC yet, but anything worth setting up in setcpu yet? min/max? profiles? etc?
HTC One M8
Rom: Skyfall
Kernel:

Xoom
Rom: EOS Nightly Jelly bean

vsc
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigic81 View Post
I know we cant OC yet, but anything worth setting up in setcpu yet? min/max? profiles? etc?
No. Nothing. The Nvidia kernel code ignores scheduler profiles, etc all in the name of their own optimization for power efficiency. And from what I can tell they do an excellent job of CPU clock and voltage management, as well as when to fire up the second core.

To be honest I have spent more than a few hours working to unravel their (mess) to enable overclocking, but the issue is made more complex by their efforts to minimize RF interference (e.g. EMC with respect to the tablet and receivers around the tablet)....

Perhaps a few words dropped here will help someone else. Turning up the max clock for the CPU SKU is ultimately vetoed by the EMC code and at times temperature management. An option is simply disabling much of this via conditionals that are present in the drivers. But in the end unless the CPU can be overclocked more than a minor amount, this is an overall waste of time as the net result is nothing more than benchmark bragging rights, etc.

h3llphyre
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsc View Post
No. Nothing. The Nvidia kernel code ignores scheduler profiles, etc all in the name of their own optimization for power efficiency. And from what I can tell they do an excellent job of CPU clock and voltage management, as well as when to fire up the second core.

To be honest I have spent more than a few hours working to unravel their (mess) to enable overclocking, but the issue is made more complex by their efforts to minimize RF interference (e.g. EMC with respect to the tablet and receivers around the tablet)....

Perhaps a few words dropped here will help someone else. Turning up the max clock for the CPU SKU is ultimately vetoed by the EMC code and at times temperature management. An option is simply disabling much of this via conditionals that are present in the drivers. But in the end unless the CPU can be overclocked more than a minor amount, this is an overall waste of time as the net result is nothing more than benchmark bragging rights, etc.
The Xoom has been overclocked to 1.5Ghz, so there is quite a bit of headroom in there for overclocking.

pershoot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3807
enjoy!

http://droidbasement.com/db-blog/?p=1733
The Following User Says Thank You to pershoot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

goodintentions
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
For those of us who aren't familiar with the overclocking process, could someone please tell us which one of all those files to get and do what?

pershoot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
For those of us who aren't familiar with the overclocking process, could someone please tell us which one of all those files to get and do what?
on the blog post? flash the file according to the OS version you have.

You'll want to grab either froyo (no _gb in filename) or gingerbread (_gb in filename), under ViewSonic Gtablet/Malata Zpad (first section of downloads).

then follow what it says regarding setcpu (making the proper selection in setcpu to get the frequencies).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pershoot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mantara
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Holy carp! At least some some good news is coming in this week. This is big. Thanks pershoot :)
Mash the thanks button if I help you, it makes it easier to explain to my wife why I spend so much time on here

Or use this link to sign up for dropbox and we both get an extra 250 megs of free space http://db.tt/y9lZBmV

Current: HTC Amaze running

Well Loved Legacy Devices
GTablet: VegAn Ginger ROM
Droid: CM8/Chromatic
HTC Magic: Chromatic ROM
HTC G1: CM7
The Following User Says Thank You to Mantara For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lisa21222
Old
(Last edited by Lisa21222; 15th April 2011 at 08:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default Can't overclock CPU?

Obviously I did something wrong... I installed SetCPU as I would any other APK file. I then booted into recovery (Clockwork) and installed the kernel (zip) that had "gb" in the name as I am running the VeganTab Ginger Edition.

When I start SetCPU, I identify my device as "Tegra2" and approve permissions after verifying that the "Remember" box is checked.

I am being offered a maximum speed of 1000 and a minimum of 216. The slider (for the 1000) is as far to the right (high end) of the slider as it will go. I tried a reboot, and went throught he SetCPU options again, but I get the same result.

Can someone shoot some advice my way? I got the GPad from the Woot sale a few weeks back, and just ordered a "spare" from Amazon. I also have the Archos 70 350GB version and a Droid2, the FIRST of which I picked up in February, so I am still sort of new to Android, although I am not new to computers. Let's just say I pre-date Windows (which is why flashing the ROM didn't seem like a big deal... just like flashing a BIOS).

pershoot
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa21222 View Post
Obviously I did something wrong... I installed SetCPU as I would any other APK file. I then booted into recovery (Clockwork) and installed the kernel (zip) that had "gb" in the name as I am running the VeganTab Ginger Edition.

When I start SetCPU, I identify my device as "Tegra2" and approve permissions after verifying that the "Remember" box is checked.

I am being offered a maximum speed of 1000 and a minimum of 216. The slider (for the 1000) is as far to the right (high end) of the slider as it will go. I tried a reboot, and went throught he SetCPU options again, but I get the same result.

Can someone shoot some advice my way? I got the GPad from the Woot sale a few weeks back, and just ordered a "spare" from Amazon. I also have the Archos 70 350GB version and a Droid2, the FIRST of which I picked up in February, so I am still sort of new to Android, although I am not new to computers. Let's just say I pre-date Windows (which is why flashing the ROM didn't seem like a big deal... just like flashing a BIOS).

please read the blog post.

all instructions are there on how to attain the higher frequencies.