Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 52,929 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

we should speak up about this...

Tip us?

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
Default we should speak up about this...

https://supportforums.motorola.com/t...45865?tstart=0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morkai Almandragon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

calin75
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Of course indeed.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

desantim
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Every device I've had, I've had rooted/flashed/etc day 1 buying it except... the Xoom. While it was possible day 1, I am simply waiting for the hardware update, then I will go to town on it.

Patience is key here, there are zero apps available as is, and there are almost no hacks available yet, so I see no reason to risk my ability to upgrade a device I just spent $800 on until I know hardware wise, it is 100% what I purchased.

~m

bogatyr
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Something as advertised, that we paid for, is not part of a warranty. What unlocking it does it voids the warranty so if there is an issue we cannot return it. We paid for the 4G upgrade, it was advertised in the deal and it wasn't stated that voiding the warranty voids the upgrade anywhere.

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
i rooted so I could help test blueputdroid (ps3 remote for android). I have trouble believing that Dans words are Moto's, but I could see Moto letting them stand if no one calls them out.

oc3rulz
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Rooting the Xoom - will this make it ineligible for 4G upgrade?
The question is technical and I'm not sure there is a blanket answer that covers all possible situations. Here's how I understand it, but I'm the first to admit that this is not my area of expertise so pardon the layman's approach.

If your Xoom is due for an OTA update and is not locked and on the expected, standard software, it will be passed over. The working assumption is that if you are on non-standard software, you want it that way and we leave you alone.

If you unlock your Xoom and load non-standard software, you should be able to reload standard software and relock it, so that you can receive OTA upgrades. Barring that, if the Motorola SBF is made available, as is currently planned, you can flash it yourself.

If you're asking if every change made to the device as a result of root can be detected, I don't know. I doubt that there is an answer for that.

From Matt the Moto Xoom Forum Manager
So he's on the right track, stating that we can flash it back to stock and have it be able to be upgraded

Bauxite
Old
Thanks Meter 126
As long as you relock before sending they should have no idea. I'm guessing they want to make sure the bootloader and modem firmware are stock for testing.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

gbenj
Old
Thanks Meter 12
It does make sense, doesnt it?

If we stray from the stock/approved software, we potentially stray from any software update that would be required to enable the 4G hardware upgrade to work.

It sounds like Moto is trying to say that they can't support non-stock software.

If however, we root/unlock and relock, going back to stock, and they say that voids our warranty and they won't upgrade (whether they can even tell or not is another question) then thats a different story.
VZW 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Unlocked + Rooted

XOOM

Retired 12/16/11 - What a great phone
HTC Droid Incredible!
SkyRaider 4.0

RETIRED 4/28/10 - Had a good run...
VZW XV6800
Rom: Ryan Mogul (Although I was on DCD forever so I feel like I should give him a shout-out.)
Radio: 3.42.50

Earn Money by running a program while driving around!
http://www.navizon.com
http://my.navizon.com/Webapps/UserAd...e=5B595F5F5958

Morkai Almandragon
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 119
that is exactly what this is about. They need to be cut and dry about this, not leave grey areas and pit falls.

destroyerbmx
Old
Thanks Meter 16
I will be the first one to sue them if they do that, they have provided the unlock for us too, easy case. I have not however rooted yet because there is no real reason to, I am waiting for a custom rom, hopefully 2.2 and I can get off the buggy 3.0