5,599,911 Members 46,990 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Separate subforum for Webtop development?

Tip us?

electronaut
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Separate subforum for Webtop development?

There are quite a few threads both in this subforum and in the Atrix general forum by those of us interested in the Linux Webtop environment. It strikes me that, while this is running on top of an Android phone, working with the Webtop environment is somewhat different from normal Android development.

I sent a private message to Mr. Clown, the moderator of this forum, to ask if a separate subforum for Webtop development could be created. He said he'd consider it, but needed to hear more requests.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It might be nice for those of us working on such things as getting gcc to work in the Webtop Linux, getting xterms up, getting the Webtop to display on a remote X client, getting remote machines to show up in rdesktop running on the webtop, getting X windows applications to run on the webtop, getting Chrome to run on the webtop, etc. etc. etc....if we could have a separate forum for this unique capability of the Atrix.

Thoughts? PMs to Mr. Clown to help suggest it?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to electronaut For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kjbreil
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I second this, webtop is just getting opened up and there is going to be a lot more threads about it

cnyarx
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.

dew.man
Old
Thanks Meter 101
we already have webtop root!

shawnbuck
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyarx View Post
I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.
Regular root counts for the webtop as well.

pixelcloak
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yep, a separate Webtop section would be keep things a bit cleaner.

sheek360
Old
Thanks Meter 53
It's a great idea n probably the best way to keep things from getting cluttered
gtalk; sheek360
twitter; sh33k360

Mr. Clown
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Fear the Clown
Thanks Meter 2228

DONATE TO ME
Thanks, I will monitor this and if we have a huge amount of requests we can create this. I think it can take a month or 2 to see the phone behaviour's with the public and how development on xda goes. I'll keep this thread here.

Cheers,

Devices:
Samsung Galaxy SIII I9300 - Stock Rom 4.2.2 (Stolen)
T-Mobile SGH-T999 - Stock Rom 4.3
HTC HD2 : Nexus HD2 JB 4.1.2 (RIP)

irishtexmex
Old
Thanks Meter 56
+1 for a separate forum

xdraconis
Old
Thanks Meter 12

DONATE TO ME
+1 for separate.

Not only does that make the place a little cleaner, it will make searching for a particular procedure that much easier when you select "webtop" or "android" development to search.

Tags
atrix, webtop