Separate subforum for Webtop development?

2nd March 2011, 04:16 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

7 posts
There are quite a few threads both in this subforum and in the Atrix general forum by those of us interested in the Linux Webtop environment. It strikes me that, while this is running on top of an Android phone, working with the Webtop environment is somewhat different from normal Android development.

I sent a private message to Mr. Clown, the moderator of this forum, to ask if a separate subforum for Webtop development could be created. He said he'd consider it, but needed to hear more requests.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It might be nice for those of us working on such things as getting gcc to work in the Webtop Linux, getting xterms up, getting the Webtop to display on a remote X client, getting remote machines to show up in rdesktop running on the webtop, getting X windows applications to run on the webtop, getting Chrome to run on the webtop, etc. etc. etc....if we could have a separate forum for this unique capability of the Atrix.

Thoughts? PMs to Mr. Clown to help suggest it?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to electronaut For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd March 2011, 05:47 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

20 posts
I second this, webtop is just getting opened up and there is going to be a lot more threads about it
2nd March 2011, 02:04 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.
2nd March 2011, 02:10 PM   |  #4  
Flag White Lake
Thanks Meter: 107

486 posts
we already have webtop root!
2nd March 2011, 02:18 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
NY
Thanks Meter: 88

190 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnyarx

I think this is a really great idea, and use qemu + wine may launch some windows apps.
But this needs root of webtop, and I don't think moto will open root purview for anyone. They think the handset needs better security. It's hard to say if the development on webtop is doable or not.

Regular root counts for the webtop as well.
2nd March 2011, 03:23 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Yep, a separate Webtop section would be keep things a bit cleaner.
2nd March 2011, 03:28 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 55

1,101 posts
It's a great idea n probably the best way to keep things from getting cluttered
3rd March 2011, 12:00 AM   |  #8  
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator - Fear the Clown
Flag Lake Ridge, Virginia
Thanks Meter: 2,337

5,851 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks, I will monitor this and if we have a huge amount of requests we can create this. I think it can take a month or 2 to see the phone behaviour's with the public and how development on xda goes. I'll keep this thread here.

Cheers,
3rd March 2011, 12:13 AM   |  #9  
Flag Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 56

397 posts
More
+1 for a separate forum
3rd March 2011, 02:22 AM   |  #10  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 12

89 posts
Donate to Me
More
+1 for separate.

Not only does that make the place a little cleaner, it will make searching for a particular procedure that much easier when you select "webtop" or "android" development to search.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
atrix, webtop
Previous Thread Next Thread