Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,653 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Atrix Data Speed Vs iPhone 4 / LG Vortex

Tip us?
 
ElCamino
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 492
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Atrix Data Speed Vs iPhone 4 / LG Vortex

I know all Atrix users are having problems with slower data connections than using, say the iPhone 4. So I went ahead and did a quick video of, iPhone 4 and Verizon LG Vortex to show the speed difference. Clearly you can see that the Atrix is very slow in uploading, but overall was pretty close in download speeds with the iPhone 4. I have been averaging around 2.2 Mps down and .31 upload. Overall when using the Atrix phone to look up anything in the Market place or web browsing, and or using a app that requires data, it feels much faster overall. Could be that the Dual-Core is helping in this. My next video will be, comparing on the phone browsing and using data apps to compare.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA72kfo856w
 
zephxiii
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 324
Join Date: Oct 2007
Ya shouldn't run both ATT phones at the same time.
 
compumasta
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 43
Posts: 299
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
Ya shouldn't run both ATT phones at the same time.
Why its a fair real work comparison that way. No one is going to be the only one running a connection at any give time.

Sent from my Delorean using a flux capacitor!
 
zephxiii
Old
(Last edited by zephxiii; 2nd March 2011 at 03:40 PM.)
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 324
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by compumasta View Post
Why its a fair real work comparison that way. No one is going to be the only one running a connection at any give time.

Sent from my Delorean using a flux capacitor!
If you are interested in testing the device's ultimate speed, you shouldn't be running the test at the same time right next to each other period. That causes channel interference (if on same carrier) which degrades performance, not to mention you are cutting available air interface resources in half in on the same channel/sector. That is not going to tell you jack **** about how the device performs (as far as above average potential) in comparison to another device on the same network...it only really shows how each device handles data in a crappy signal situation....interestingly ATT was better than VZW.

It has been demonstrated that the Atrix lacks HSUPA and will generally not perform as well as iPhone4 (or other HSUPA enabled device) until this problem is resolved.
 
Ririal
Old
#5  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
If you are interested in testing the device's ultimate speed, you shouldn't be running the test at the same time right next to each other period. That causes channel interference (if on same carrier) which degrades performance, not to mention you are cutting available air interface resources in half in on the same channel/sector. That is not going to tell you jack **** about how the device performs (as far as above average potential) in comparison to another device on the same network...it only really shows how each device handles data in a crappy signal situation....interestingly ATT was better than VZW.

It has been demonstrated that the Atrix lacks HSUPA and will generally not perform as well as iPhone4 (or other HSUPA enabled device) until this problem is resolved.
I think you misunderstood what he's saying. In the real world, you could be standing next to someone else using an AT&T phone, so that interference isn't unexpected. How the device handles that kind of interference is absolutely relevant information.
 
zephxiii
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 324
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ririal View Post
I think you misunderstood what he's saying. In the real world, you could be standing next to someone else using an AT&T phone, so that interference isn't unexpected. How the device handles that kind of interference is absolutely relevant information.
In the real world, he probably isn't running a speedtest right when you are.

It's still pointless as if you are trying to compare device speeds on the network, you need to give them ideal conditions....otherwise you aren't comparing the devices really. This is obvious because it isn't showing the Atrix's crippled network interface.
 
Ririal
Old
#7  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
In the real world, he probably isn't running a speedtest right when you are.

It's still pointless as if you are trying to compare device speeds on the network, you need to give them ideal conditions....otherwise you aren't comparing the devices really. This is obvious because it isn't showing the Atrix's crippled network interface.
I'm not even sure I understand what you're arguing. Someone next to you is not using a data connection if they're not running a speedtest? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. The speed of the phone next to you is irrelevant. A phone pulling down 1000Mbps as opposed to 100Mbps won't magically decrease the surrounding signal. In modern devices, channel interference like that isn't really a problem anyway.
 
zephxiii
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 324
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ririal View Post
I'm not even sure I understand what you're arguing. Someone next to you is not using a data connection if they're not running a speedtest? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying. The speed of the phone next to you is irrelevant. A phone pulling down 1000Mbps as opposed to 100Mbps won't magically decrease the surrounding signal. In modern devices, channel interference like that isn't really a problem anyway.
Based on that statement, it looks like you really don't understand how WCDMA (or CDMA based) networks work. Channel noise, noise floor, neighboring interference etc. plays a huge part in network performance. So yes, even though signal receive strength may be very good, performance can suffer from channel noise...and I see it all the time in cell overlap areas (I live in one even).

And when you have two devices like that operating right next to each other using the same ARFCN, especially if one is in the upload portion of the test, it's going to create additional noise that the other device is going to have to fight through....then throw on top that both devices are fighting for whatever is left of free resources on the site..which is basically cutting whatever is left in half....if they are on the same sector/channel.
 
Ririal
Old
#9  
Ririal's Avatar
Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 398
Posts: 777
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Grayslake

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
Based on that statement, it looks like you really don't understand how WCDMA (or CDMA based) networks work. Channel noise, noise floor, neighboring interference etc. plays a huge part in network performance. So yes, even though signal receive strength may be very good, performance can suffer from channel noise...and I see it all the time in cell overlap areas (I live in one even).

And when you have two devices like that operating right next to each other using the same ARFCN, especially if one is in the upload portion of the test, it's going to create additional noise that the other device is going to have to fight through....then throw on top that both devices are fighting for whatever is left of free resources on the site..which is basically cutting whatever is left in half....if they are on the same sector/channel.
I understand the theory, I've just never seen it affect a device in practice to any noticeable degree. I might get 3.15 down with no other devices nearby, and 3.14 down with several others running at once (GSM and CDMA devices).

Living in an area with several carriers fighting for the airways can impact performance, but again, I've never seen a big enough difference to care. Maybe you've just been in areas with outdated hardware or poor filtering. This is all from personal experience, however, and I live in Chicagoland where there is no shortage of service from any carrier.
 
ElCamino
Old
#10  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Posts: 492
Join Date: Feb 2007
I know some have said that having all 3 devices and running the test can affect the performances when running data. I was hoping to try to run a test that could show what would happen if you were out and happen to be close to other smartphones that might be accessing data.

I will post another video showing how the data performance is, by running the speed test one at a time. I did try that today, and I can say that whether I had all three running at the same time or run speed test one at a time, the speeds didn't not change much; maybe only .04 difference. So having all three running the speed test would only affect around .04 to .06 difference in download speed.

I will also do a test to compare the speed to open browser and going to websites.

Also when I was doing the speed test today with my Atrix, I was using it as a mobile hot spot to provide internet to my Samsung Galaxy Tab, and the download speeds on the Atrix was very good. I got around 3.0 Mbps down and .29 Mbps upload; which is very slow compared to my iPhone 4. Hopefully soon this will be fixed.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...