Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,891 Members 49,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Flashing Back to Stock ROM using Heimdall

Tip us?

FaithFor_TheFallen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Flashing Back to Stock ROM using Heimdall

I am having THE hardest time flashing back to stock rom using heimdall. I dont know how to use it, unfortunately i cannot use Odin..if anyone could instruct me on a step to step guide to getting this done, that would be great. i cannot seem to find one after looking for a good hour and a half :/ i got to samfirmware.com but once i download it asks me for a password and i input it (the one it shows to input) and it doesnt work.

Thank you

FroggyStyle
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Just wondering, why can't you use Odin?

Sent from my Cappy using XDA App

a.vandelay
Old
Thanks Meter 4
something like this

Code:
$ heimdall flash --factoryfs factoryfs.rfs --cache cache.rfs ..... --kernel zImage
just type "heimdall" and it will print the usage format. you can flash whatever you want.

pietro_spina
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Tell us what OS you are using. Do you have the most current version of Heimdal?
Also, try unzipping the firmware with a different tool.(what are you using)?

FaithFor_TheFallen
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
The reason I cannot use odin is because I have a mac and odin is not mac compatible. I am using precision v3.5. Firmware 2.2.1 I've used the normal text editor and zipeg. And I have the most recent heimdall

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

pietro_spina
Old
(Last edited by pietro_spina; 4th March 2011 at 06:06 AM.)
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithFor_TheFallen View Post
The reason I cannot use odin is because I have a mac and odin is not mac compatible. I am using precision v3.5. Firmware 2.2.1 I've used the normal text editor and zipeg. And I have the most recent heimdall

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
so since you are already on a 2.2 rom we will hope you are not having the mac sbl.bin problems.

steps are:
1 grab the stock firmware from here if you want froyo
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963403
or find the equivalent eclair version in the forums or on the samsung firmwares site.

2 unpack the archive

3 unpack it again so you just have the various files in a folder. there are 4 important files in the froyo linked above and one .dll you can ignore.

4 put your phone in download mode

5 put the 4 file in the proper slots (see attached image)

6 hit start.. wait...

If Heimdall cannot see your phone you might be having the sbl problem. head over to the main heimdall support thread and search around... ther are quite a few mac users over there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heimdall Frontend.png
Views:	2927
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	533192  

JeffSchre
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Has anyone sucessfully been able to flash Samsung stock 2.2 using Heimdall?

For some reason when it's flashing factoryfs it fails at 43% "failed sending data packet"

I have downloaded KB1 from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=963403

And tried the .zip file that Kies downloads during it's upgrade process, both do the same thing.

Ultimately I'd like to find a universal flashing method to be able to restore my phone back to stock. While also being able to flash Clockwork kernels for rebuilding CM7.

The only way I've been able to get CM7 to load successfully is to Odin1Click back to JF6 then use Kies (which requires a different USB driver) to get 2.2 loaded.

Then install USB driver for Heimdall, to flash a Clockwork kernel for CM7 load.
If something goes sideways this process starts all over again.

Reinstalling USB drivers over and over again is getting rather tedious.

Would really like to find out why Heimdall is failing when flashing factoryfs.

Pirateghost
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,765

DONATE TO ME
why would you upgrade to 2.2 to get to CM7??? you can go to CM7 straight from 2.1 JF6

KonaZXIII
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Bootloader question?

I made a post recently asking "What's the diff between 2.1 and 2.2 bootloaders?"

Nobody knows (or few cared to share their knowledge with the group). The best answer I got was, (paraphrased) 'none?'
The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bull****. - Richard Pryor

JeffSchre
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirateghost View Post
why would you upgrade to 2.2 to get to CM7??? you can go to CM7 straight from 2.1 JF6
Taken from Cyanogen Wiki wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S:_Full_Update_Guide

Just above step one: "This guide assumes the Samsung Galaxy S already has Android 2.2 already installed on it."

Tags
flashing, heimdall, stock rom