5,594,221 Members 45,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Would you like XdaTv to be available as a podcast?
Yes, I'd be more likely to watch it 57 55.88%
Yes, YouTube is fine but podcast option would also be good 32 31.37%
No, YouTube is fine we don't need a podcast too 7 6.86%
I don't know what a podcast is. 4 3.92%
No, I don't like XdaTv so a podcast won't make any difference 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

[XDATV] - PODCAST Thread (+MP3 Audio Podcast!)

Tip us?

meltwater
Old
(Last edited by meltwater; 4th July 2011 at 11:26 AM.) Reason: Updated for official podcast!
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 325
Lightbulb [XDATV] - PODCAST Thread (+MP3 Audio Podcast!)

XdaTV Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTv
XdaTV Audio Podcast - http://feeds.feedburner.com/XdaTvAudio

Please post any issues you have with the XdaPodcast here and we shall attempt to fix it as soon as we can!

Jump to the posts which are related to the Now Official XdaTv Podcast here.

The XdaTv Podcast is brought to you by meltwater's podcaster app (should work on both WM and windows)!

Old outdated info - but explains the next 4 pages of posts...!
Code:
Currently there is no official thread for XDATV feedback, so thought I would start one (not too worried if this gets used or if another one is started by the XDATV guys).

First off, I love the concept of XdaTv and I was looking forward to watching the videos as and when they are posted.  However, the main issue I have is I am unable to view them on my phone (particularly while offline), this is the main opportunity I would have to watch them.

I would like to have a proper podcast style RSS Feed available, i.e. containing links to downloadable video files (mp4 or similar) which I can then play via the RSSTab as and when I have the time.

If people are interested, I am able to create a RSS Feed myself and host the files from something like Dropbox (Assuming Xda agree), obviously it'll be better if Xda are able to offer this directly.

Add your thoughts to this thread, or comments about XdaTv in general and vote in the poll.

I've been experimenting with publishing RSS Feeds, so I've created an experimental Podcast for XdaTv

Of course, if there is an issue with posting the podcast then I shall remove it immediately, just let me know.

XdaTV Meltwater Podcast (Unofficial) --Proper podcast

Currently available as MP4 formats.

ALL ARE POSTED - MOST RECENTLY
Sam’s XDA Daily Round Up – 12 April – XDA TV

I use the following RSS feed to track when they are released,
Xda Developers YouTube Channel  --Feed of Links to YouTube (not a podcast)
HTC Touch HD
____
* Energy 28244|Feb 19| 2.5.2012114 Cookie *
Radio: 1.17.25.09

Sense Wiki | Facebook Tab v1.6 | RSS Tab | SenseUtil | CHTwPictureFrame
Android-On-A-Shoestring

___
PayPal: if you enjoy the fb/RSS tab!

conantroutman
Old
Moderator Committee / XDA News Writer
Thanks Meter 6690
This would be great

"If Diane Young won't change your mind......"

HTC HD2, Samsung Galaxy SII, Note II, Nexus 7 2012 & Motorola Xoom

orb3000
Old
XDA News Writer / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 3010
Location: T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...

DONATE TO ME
Im ok with Youtube format, never use podcasts
orb

HTC One Max - HTC Butterfly S - HTC Universal

XDA is about developing and is for developers. Any user that recognises that will gain the most benefit from this site

This is and always will be a site for developers, pure and simple. Without them we are nothing, without them there would be no reason for XDA Developers to exist; we should never ever forget that. Without them this place would not be called XDA-Developers but something else, e.g Mobile Phone User Support Services For Ungrateful Nerds.

Previous devices: HTC: Treo 650 - Excalibur - Diamond - Diamond 2 - Maple - HD2 - Rhodium - Desire Z - Desire HD - Vivid - Sensation - One V - One X - Titan II - One X+ - DNA - Butterfly

fruchtmix
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One of the best Forums.Thank you!

svetius
Old
User Experience Admin
Thanks Meter 2622
Good idea, guys. We're going to look into having a video podcast feed. We could probably get it on iTunes and Zune, too.
svetius
-----
User Experience Admin
xda-developers

meltwater
Old
(Last edited by meltwater; 27th April 2011 at 02:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by svetius View Post
Good idea, guys. We're going to look into having a video podcast feed. We could probably get it on iTunes and Zune, too.
Well I've been experimenting with publishing RSSFeeds, so I've created an experimental one.

At the moment I've just got the 1st video up (in flv and mp4 format), I can test to see if this works on my device and perhaps provide some more until an Official Podcast is created. Will work out which format works best on my device and use that for the rest.

Of course, if there is an issue with posting the podcast then I shall remove it immediately, just let me know.

Feed REMOVED - USE THE OFFICIAL ONE
HTC Touch HD
____

Android-On-A-Shoestring

___

Kastromedia
Old
Thanks Meter 1
IMO having both youtube/podcast would yield a better return for more potential members vs just the podcast. Youtube is just a mishmash of crap, but its also where "everyone" goes to view videos. Therefore you'd get some stragglers as well as allowing others to embed on other sites to draw some attraction to XDA.

This is just one mans' opinion.

pulser_g2
Old
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10594
Random observation/idea...

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/xdatv/ lists the tag page for xdatv...

I am pretty sure there is a backend RSS feed accessible via some hidden URL... If I can figure it out, there would be an RSS link to subscribe your reader to

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4

meltwater
Old
(Last edited by meltwater; 9th March 2011 at 11:12 AM.)
Thanks Meter 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulser_g2 View Post
Random observation/idea...

http://www.xda-developers.com/tag/xdatv/ lists the tag page for xdatv...

I am pretty sure there is a backend RSS feed accessible via some hidden URL... If I can figure it out, there would be an RSS link to subscribe your reader to
The RSS link above to the YouTube channel does this, but for proper podcast style feed (i.e. one which supports downloading of videos to the device for off-line viewing) you need links to the video files rather than the YouTube stream.
[It would be really handy if those links were available HINT HINT]

However, I do use the tags to find the XdaTv posts so I can insert a suitable description etc.

I think YouTube supported it or intended to (hence the "&format=17" which is supposed to related to mp4 format), but it does not work. There is even a site which formats the links to do this, but for whatever reason it doesn't work here.

For now I'll host the podcast feed, since it is the easiest way for me to view it while experimenting anyway. The issue I may have is if I over-run my bandwidth hosting the videos, but will deal with that if I need to.

Anyway, the unofficial podcast is up and running and I've already used it to view the two videos I've put on there (so I'll be adding some more tonight). I'll try to ensure the latest one is on there and slowly build up the list of the older ones.

UPDATE
I might have found a way around the hosting problem as I may have found a way to directly access the videos.
HTC Touch HD
____

Android-On-A-Shoestring

___

pulser_g2
Old
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 10594
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltwater View Post
UPDATE
I might have found a way around the hosting problem as I may have found a way to directly access the videos.
Was just about to suggest that you should be able to "obtain" a link from YouTube

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4

Tags
feeds, podcast, rss, xdatv