Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,420 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Best video player?

Tip us?

phaijai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Best video player?

so i'm confused, mainly because I don't know anything about video codecs, but what is the best video player for the Atrix. With the Tegra 2, I assumed video playback would not be a problem. However, I've had issues playing AVI files as well as MP4 files downloaded through TubeMate. I've tried the default player, Mvideo Player, Act 1 Player, QQ player, and YX player. For my MP4 files, some play and others lag while the sound plays without issue.

Any suggestions?
The Following User Says Thank You to phaijai For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

reddog
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaijai View Post
so i'm confused, mainly because I don't know anything about video codecs, but what is the best video player for the Atrix. With the Tegra 2, I assumed video playback would not be a problem. However, I've had issues playing AVI files as well as MP4 files downloaded through TubeMate. I've tried the default player, Mvideo Player, Act 1 Player, QQ player, and YX player. For my MP4 files, some play and others lag while the sound plays without issue.

Any suggestions?
Act 1 Player for me.
Truth May be stretched but can never be broken
Phones HTC Tilt, HTC Fuze, HTC Aria, Google Nexus, Motorola Atrix 4G, Sony Xperia ION, Current Motorola Atrix HD

irus
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The problem is that a lot of these players are using a "software decode" method instead of a "hardware decode" method. Rockplayer worked like a charm on the captivate for mp4 mkv... etc but for some reason rockplayer does not work well with tegra chip. I have contacted them about this and they gave me a version that was supposed to be for our device but it did not work any better. So hopefully a tegra vid player with hardware decoding will come out soon.
In H&T
irus
PG #68

HTC X7500 WM6.1 > AT&T fuze > AT&T Tilt2 > AT&T Captivate :\ > AT&T Atrix

phaijai
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I was wondering about the whole "software decode" over "hardware decode". Hopefully Rockplayer releases an updated version. In the meantime, I'll try Act 1 again.

hotleadsingerguy
Old
Thanks Meter 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by irus View Post
The problem is that a lot of these players are using a "software decode" method instead of a "hardware decode" method. Rockplayer worked like a charm on the captivate for mp4 mkv... etc but for some reason rockplayer does not work well with tegra chip. I have contacted them about this and they gave me a version that was supposed to be for our device but it did not work any better. So hopefully a tegra vid player with hardware decoding will come out soon.
Well since the Tegra doesn't have hardware support for high-profile H.264 you're not going to *get* a video player that handles hardware decoding any better than the default app. There's a reason the default "Video Player" won't play those files.

Try Vital Player. I've used it to play a few files even up to 1080p using Software Decoding. It's not perfect but it's one of the best I've tried. Software decoding is the *ONLY* way to play most H.264 videos.

Clienterror
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Well since the Tegra doesn't have hardware support for high-profile H.264 you're not going to *get* a video player that handles hardware decoding any better than the default app. There's a reason the default "Video Player" won't play those files.

Try Vital Player. I've used it to play a few files even up to 1080p using Software Decoding. It's not perfect but it's one of the best I've tried. Software decoding is the *ONLY* way to play most H.264 videos.
Just tried Vital Player, its great thanks!

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Nexus 7 (2013)
LG Optimus G AT&T
LG Optimus G Pro AT&T
LG G2 AT&T
(Sorry Samsung there's a new powerhouse emerging in the market)

henryher
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I am trying out Vital Player myself and I can't get it to see my sdcard. It keeps going into my internal storage. I set the root directory in the settings area for /mnt/sdcard-ext/ I tried several variations but it keeps looking into my internal storage. I don't keep videos in there cause they take up too much room. Any one know how to get it to look in the sd card?

circuitjc
Old
(Last edited by circuitjc; 29th March 2011 at 09:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 2
Instead of using the built in file browser you can select the video file in the motorola file app then select it then Vital Player.

So far it works excellent for me. Seems smoother and the on screen controls are useful.

henryher
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have been using the file app but if I like the player I was thinking of getting the pro. But no sense paying money if I can't use the built in file search. I don't mind spending a few bucks on something good.

Sent from my MB860 using XDA Premium App