Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,201 Members 52,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

geforce ULP vs Adreno 220 vs PowerVR 543

Tip us?

Flaunt77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default geforce ULP vs Adreno 220 vs PowerVR 543

This post is not to start a flaming war against any of the devices using any of these chips.

I just wanted to start this post for information.

Im a bit concerned with the geforce ULP which shows only around 20-30% increase over the previous PowerVR 540 chip.

The PowerVR 543 is supposed to be a multicore version that is much faster than the PowerVR 540 (Also, the PowerVR543 dual core is rumored to be in the ipad 2)

Additionally, the new adreno 220 has been showing off its tech and is rumored to be in the new dual core qualcomm chips.

The problem i see is, that while the dual core CPUs seem to be equally matched in terms of A5 vs tegra 2 vs dual core qualcomm, the geforce ULP seems to be heavily outclassed by the powerVR 543 (perhaps even the single core) and the adreno 220.

Does this worry anyone?

I know that the games coming out for the tegra 2 are looking quite amazing, but at the same time people are saying no low framerates, and when I looked at dungeon defenders HD in the store, the framerates, while playable, where not that high..

If the ipad 2 is going to have a dual core PowerVR SGx543 then it is going to crush the geforce ULP. And the adreno 220 looks to be a high performer as well.

I feel apprehensive jumping into a technology (the tegra 2 with geforce ULP) that is already heavily outclassed by its competition (ipad 2's A5 with power VR 543)

I dont want to get into a competition between iOS and honeycomb - and I agree that it depends fully on how the developers utilize the chip - but with such a huge performance difference, I can see developers making more amazing games with the faster chips.

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 494
The Tegra 2 is fine for gaming. It can handle its own. Media playback is an entirely other issue and the Tegra 2 is a failure in that regard.

We haven't seen either the Adreno or the SGX543 benchmarked yet at all, so its too early to say they are better than the Tegra 2. Also, I feel as though Nvidia is going to be pushing for a lot of games to be made specifically for the Tegra 2. If that is the case its going to fragment the Android market even further.

Its not fair to look at the Xoom's benchmark due to the much higher resolution skewing results downwards, so lets look at current generation phones:

You can see the best performer right now is the old SGX540 clocked at 300mhz. I would bet that the SGX543 is a monster.

Flaunt77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
The Tegra 2 is fine for gaming. It can handle its own. Media playback is an entirely other issue and the Tegra 2 is a failure in that regard.

We haven't seen either the Adreno or the SGX543 benchmarked yet at all, so its too early to say they are better than the Tegra 2. Also, I feel as though Nvidia is going to be pushing for a lot of games to be made specifically for the Tegra 2. If that is the case its going to fragment the Android market even further.

Its not fair to look at the Xoom's benchmark due to the much higher resolution skewing results downwards, so lets look at current generation phones:

You can see the best performer right now is the old SGX540 clocked at 300mhz. I would bet that the SGX543 is a monster.
The tegra 2 was rebenched after that using the viewsonic G-tablet and it did better than the SGX 540.

Refer to:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...e-smartphone/8

and
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4054/f...ance-preview/2
(on the last link - look to the bottom of the page with the "updated" benchmarks

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Those are the exact same numbers. 25.2 for the Optimus 2x. 18.9 for the G-Tablet.

DarkDvr
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaunt77 View Post
The tegra 2 was rebenched after that using the viewsonic G-tablet and it did better than the SGX 540.

Refer to:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...e-smartphone/8

and
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4054/f...ance-preview/2
(on the last link - look to the bottom of the page with the "updated" benchmarks
Judging by these articles - Tegra 2 is doing great.
Besides, nVidia is excellent when it comes to updating drivers on their GPUs and working with game devs to help them use the GPU's potential.
So, if they do the same for their ULPs, we should expect frequent Tegra 2 updates and great games coming.

Actually, even now, a mere week from release - check Tegra zone and see the amazing games that will be released this/next month. Mindblowing.
Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Asus Nexus 7
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkDvr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Flaunt77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDvr View Post
Judging by these articles - Tegra 2 is doing great.
Besides, nVidia is excellent when it comes to updating drivers on their GPUs and working with game devs to help them use the GPU's potential.
So, if they do the same for their ULPs, we should expect frequent Tegra 2 updates and great games coming.

Actually, even now, a mere week from release - check Tegra zone and see the amazing games that will be released this/next month. Mindblowing.
I agree NOW that it may be the fastest - but in one week when the ipad 2 comes out - it will supposedly do LESS THAN HALF of the ipad 2 graphics capability - thats a huge hit in performance.

THis means that the ipad 2 can handle a class of games far above what the tegra can. Its just unsettling is all.

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
I agree NOW that it may be the fastest - but in one week when the ipad 2 comes out - it will supposedly do LESS THAN HALF of the ipad 2 graphics capability - thats a huge hit in performance.

THis means that the ipad 2 can handle a class of games far above what the tegra can. Its just unsettling is all.
The iPad 2 is not going to be 2x faster than the Tegra 2. The graphics processor it uses will handily beat the Tegra 2, but not by 100%. It really depends on how many cores the SGX543 has. Wikipedia says it can be anywhere from 2-16 cores.

Flaunt77
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muyoso View Post
The iPad 2 is not going to be 2x faster than the Tegra 2. The graphics processor it uses will handily beat the Tegra 2, but not by 100%. It really depends on how many cores the SGX543 has. Wikipedia says it can be anywhere from 2-16 cores.
i guess we will find out on march 11th

but if the SGX543 has 2 cores and each single core is faster than the tegra 2 geforce ULP, then combined it will likely be 75-85% faster than the tegra 2 (i agree no more than double)

Having said that, that is still a huge upgrade.

muyoso
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
i guess we will find out on march 11th

but if the SGX543 has 2 cores and each single core is faster than the tegra 2 geforce ULP, then combined it will likely be 75-85% faster than the tegra 2 (i agree no more than double)

Having said that, that is still a huge upgrade.
Don't forget the Tegra 2 has EIGHT cores in the GPU. Can't wait to see the anandtech review on the iPad2. Gonna be interesting.

chris2busy
Old
Thanks Meter 57
well ipad 2 was released and although an apple hater i do have to admit..we gentlemen have been obliterated..its a dual 543..everything android devices had to offer so far has been surpassed by double the ammount..was considering the atrix,but certainly not gonna buy a device incinerated already, as it is...xoom is still a great tablet and honeycomb an amazing os...but i think its time price is lowered..we have been outclassed twofold.
Why would they name something "common sense" when barely 1 out of 50 has it?

The Following User Says Thank You to chris2busy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]