[REQ] for developers - Finger Print lock Apps

OP PiTT

4th March 2011, 10:51 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

55 posts
Occasionally I leave my phone laying around or let other people play with it, but it's getting very tedious having to lock it all the time. Anyone up for creating a app that will let me lock certain portions/apps on the phone (ie. SMS, gallery, etc.) using the built in finger print scanner?
The Following User Says Thank You to PiTT For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th March 2011, 03:57 AM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 67

164 posts
More
I will second this. I recall reading that Moto was going to release the APIs for the print scanner. That should make it considerably easier.
10th March 2011, 10:04 AM   |  #3  
OP Member

55 posts
just a bump, I know all you great minds out there are capable of this and want this too =)
10th March 2011, 09:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 3

157 posts
More
+1
+1 yes, yes, yes a needed app
10th March 2011, 09:17 PM   |  #5  

13 posts
Yes, yes, YES! I've been thinking about requesting something like this for a while now!
10th March 2011, 09:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

55 posts
I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this. I wouldn't mind paying something like $1 for it.

How can we get this thread more attention from developers on XDA?
10th March 2011, 09:48 PM   |  #7  

13 posts
Keep the thread bumped, add some other keywords such a biometric scanner, fingerprints, fingerprint scanner, etc. (I myself didn't find this when searching), post the same on other forums, that's all you can do really!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kieters For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2011, 05:03 PM   |  #8  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 4,860

498 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTT

I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this.

And here I am! (Sorry for taking some time to get back to this)

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

If I do end up doing anything with it I'll post back.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kevin@TeslaCoil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th March 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 26

585 posts
I said this in the development section when it was released lol. So....+1 and good idea!

Atrix4G Rooted!
17th March 2011, 09:28 AM   |  #10  
OP Member

55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin@TeslaCoil

And here I am! (Sorry for taking some time to get back to this)

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

If I do end up doing anything with it I'll post back.

my reasoning behind this type of app as you said isn't for REAL security from a thief, more of a deterrent from people around me....such as a nosy friend or girlfriend =)

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread