Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,197 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Open .sbu bypass Kies

Tip us?

sloggan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Open .sbu bypass Kies

Hello

Some days ago my Galaxy S got stolen, but I made a full backup a week back.

Now my problem is to open the .sbu files, since Kies wont open em, without a android device connected to the computer, it seems.

I have tried to search google and samsungs site for information,with no result.

Does anyone know an alternative way to open the .sbu files so I get the most important backup'ed up data back, such as contacts and images?

Thanks.

sloggan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
No one who has a clue? I really need the informations in the backup file.. its weird u cant open it without a phone connected to the computer :S

kf999
Old
Thanks Meter 0
In my opinion, this is just one more place where samsung is a bit **** (pardon my french). Same happened to me. I backed up my Galaxy S last week, and this weekend it was lost/stolen. Now I'm stuck with some .sbu files that won't open. I want to avoid having to reverse engineer those damn .sbu files, but hope is fading.

I've just called Samsung Support, and the dude on the phone apologetically explained that it's only possible to restore this information to a new Samsung phone, there's no other tool to extract the information from these files. I told him this was pretty useless, and he agreed.

In addition, I fear the backups are pretty incomplete, and I think a lot of stuff won't be restored.

I hope someone reads my samsung review and buys something other than a samsung, to be honest. Just my way of getting back at them for wasting a lot of my time.

armomurha
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I had this problem, because I changed the firmware to CyanogenMod and did not want to change back.

As I could not find any program to do this (only this or similar threads), I wrote small "program" (targetted for my self) to extract contacts (VCard data) from SBU file. It actually does not extract the file just finds VCard start and end tags, and writes VCard items into file (or files). This generated VCard-file can be used to import contacts to phone.

I only needed the contacts, so this "program" is not capable extracting anything else. It should not be hard trick to extract the file as it seems to be somekind of uncompressed archive file with UTF-16 encoding.

To execute the program you need Java JDK as the attached package contains only the source file. Detailled compile and execution instructions inside the file.

Hopefully this helps someone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip SSVCardExtractor.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.0 KB, 34772 views)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to armomurha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

donstylez
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks!! took me awhile to figure out, but it did what it was supposed to do!

D4rK.F0rcE
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by donstylez View Post
Thanks!! took me awhile to figure out, but it did what it was supposed to do!
Can you please explain what you did? I downloaded JDK, but still don't know how to open it...

brijir
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Me too please.

D4rK.F0rcE
Old
Thanks Meter 14
What a coincidence, the last version of kies gives you the opportunity to recover backups although you have a not supported firmware, see where to download it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1278347

dcnqw
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Eureka!

I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\te mp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

One can copy the files one seeks from there.

I hope this helps some people!

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dcnqw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wetwetwater
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcnqw View Post
I found that running Kies Restore does a seemingly complete .sbu file extraction to a temporary directory such as:

C:\Users\{LogonName}\Documents\samsung\Kies\sbu\te mp\{NumberID}\{Files Extracted}

One can copy the files one seeks from there.

I hope this helps some people!

It is a shame this is such a crummy part of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Experience that is not user friendly, is not efficient, and does not work well enough.
Thanks for the brilliant tip! Managed to get my media files out from the .sbu

I backed up using kies, after restoring, the media files were missing. Sigh..

Another disappointed(a little bit) S2 user.

Thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to wetwetwater For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
.sbu, bypass, kies, lost, open