[RELEASE] Bandroidx's Bravo Overclock App

Search This thread

bandroidx

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2011
Hey guys, thanks for being patient. Here is this first beta release of my overclock app. Its a private beta for you guys on xda while we work out any kinks etc. Thanks to Heydabob's initial alpha testing we were able to confirm the app is functioning and the overclock works and has a real world difference.

Currently the app offers you many rates to choose from ranging from 800mhz to 1.2ghz in 50mhz steps. It also lets you choose your max voltage VSEL rate. Stock is 56. You can even use the app to undervolt your kernel by setting your rate to 800mhz and your VSEL voltage to anything less than 56.

So far heydabob's phone was confirmed stable at 1ghz w/ 56 (stock) VSEL. He also got stable results with 1ghz at 54 VSEL but he did get a reboot (which may or may not have been related to the overclock) In addition to a 200+ point jump in quadrant he also noticed real world speed differences using swype and his launcher app. He did not test games but I would assume the difference would also be noticeable in some instances.

YOU MUST BE ROOTED. This is a root only app. Currently this will only run on 2.1 only! If your running 2.2 Froyo (testers of moto only right now) the app will tell you to contact me, please do! I need to get some info from someone on 2.2 to get the new addresses from the new kernel.

Currently the Auto start on bootup is disabled because that feature is not yet complete but I decided to release it without it to make sure everything is working right before I enable that anyways. When you set the overclock you will be overclocked until you reboot, then you will go back to stock completely. If you want to be overclocked again just run the app again!

I have tested the app quite thoroughly but please report any and all bugs and include your debug info (hit the debug info button in the app) when posting a bug report.

DL Link:
Download the 2.2 version below, it also supports 2.1

Update 4/9/11:

I have uploaded the new version v1.1.2 - beta supporting Froyo 2.2 to the Android Market! It's a donate version, if you like this app and want to contribute to the continuing work on my bravo development please consider buying the donate version. It also gives you the ability to get easy updates. I will try to reward those who donate by releasing new updates like this 2.2 version to the market first and then releasing on here a couple days later.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bandroidx.bravo.overclock&feature=search_result

If you search for Bravo or Bravo overclock in the android market its the first to come up. Be sure to rate 5 stars :)

Update 4/14/11:

The free froyo compatible version of the app is here. The free version now includes ad's (basic admob banner - nothing too annoying) to support current and future development. Mainly you guys are helping me test which method works best for my future apps on the market. I want to see how ads perform compared to a paid version. Unfortunately ad's are paid on a per click basis (**hint hint**) not a per impression basis so we will see how they do.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13323051/bravodev/BravoOverclock-v1.1.2a-beta.apk

Enjoy!

Last edited:

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
Does 1ghz at stock voltage seem safe to leave the phone at?

Sent from my MB520 using XDA App

Heydabop's results were very stable at 1ghz at stock voltage, he left it for a couple days i believe with no issues. based on what i have read about this specific cpu in our phone, it does handle 1ghz usually well in most phones that have it.

You could actually go in my app and lower it back to 800 and 54 or 52 to undervolt when your not doing cpu intensive stuff, then overclock when you need it. Some people will leave it all the time.

Reactions: lwhitit

heydabop

Jan 19, 2011
And thanks for testing! I tried gtalking you before posting it to have you do a quick check of this version but your gtalk seems down, wont take any messages.

Yea, I had to factory reset my phone (stupid reason), and talk isn't on it anymore? I'm working on that.... And I was on my computer for only an hour last night, sorry.
EDIT: Fixed.

Do you want me to try and make you a better icon later today?
Also, looks like you fixed the OC not taking on the first set, nice. :D

Another note, I (and prolly bandroidx too, as he recommended it to me) recommend getting setcpu to anyone using this. It's a nice little utility.

Sent from my MB520 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
Thanks! what can i do to test the new speed?

No problem!

You can use quadrant standard a free app from the market for benchmark comparisons. while its use as a benchmark between phones is useless, its great for testing overclocks.

Neocore is another free benchmark demo. Linpack is an old one that isnt really used much these days.

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
Thank you for this B!!! Also have you had any luck finding what you need from anyone testing 2.2?

someone is trying to help me get the info i need. i was hoping to get the 2.2 update.zip but none of my testers got the update and the people that did alreadty installed so its probably deleted from the phone.

BravoMotorola

Oct 17, 2010
someone is trying to help me get the info i need. i was hoping to get the 2.2 update.zip but none of my testers got the update and the people that did alreadty installed so its probably deleted from the phone.

Still nothing from Motorola about 2.2. And I've heard the update is stored in cache/tmp? Is there really any way the update will be accessible through just a system dump? BTW, the app is some high quality work..my Bravo seems to run decent on 1.2ghz. I only had it at 1.2 for like 10 minutes though. It beats the Droid X in performance with the overclock. It works great with SetCpu, you did a great job with it all.

atz06

Jan 29, 2007
Could not install

Hey guys, thanks for being patient. Here is this first beta release of my overclock app. Its a private beta for you guys on xda while we work out any kinks etc. Thanks to Heydabob's initial alpha testing we were able to confirm the app is functioning and the overclock works and has a real world difference.

Currently the app offers you many rates to choose from ranging from 800mhz to 1.2ghz in 50mhz steps. It also lets you choose your max voltage VSEL rate. Stock is 56. You can even use the app to undervolt your kernel by setting your rate to 800mhz and your VSEL voltage to anything less than 56.

So far heydabob's phone was confirmed stable at 1ghz w/ 56 (stock) VSEL. He also got stable results with 1ghz at 54 VSEL but he did get a reboot (which may or may not have been related to the overclock) In addition to a 200+ point jump in quadrant he also noticed real world speed differences using swype and his launcher app. He did not test games but I would assume the difference would also be noticeable in some instances.

YOU MUST BE ROOTED. This is a root only app. Currently this will only run on 2.1 only! If your running 2.2 Froyo (testers of moto only right now) the app will tell you to contact me, please do! I need to get some info from someone on 2.2 to get the new addresses from the new kernel.

Currently the Auto start on bootup is disabled because that feature is not yet complete but I decided to release it without it to make sure everything is working right before I enable that anyways. When you set the overclock you will be overclocked until you reboot, then you will go back to stock completely. If you want to be overclocked again just run the app again!

I have tested the app quite thoroughly but please report any and all bugs and include your debug info (hit the debug info button in the app) when posting a bug report.

DL Link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13323051/bravodev/BravoOverclock-1.0.8-beta.apk

Enjoy!

I have a rooted Bravo with stock ROM. I also have the Allow Non Market Apps installed. I installed your apk with Astro and got an Security Warning message" This application comes from an unknown source, and for your security only applications from trusted sources can be installed." How to install your apk? Thanks.

sdrawkcab3

Feb 18, 2008
If you're getting that message, you may have missed one of the database entries you need to change to allow non market apps.

When you go into Settings-Applications, do you have an "Unknown sources" option?

Sent from my MB520 using XDA App

atz06

Jan 29, 2007
No, I don't have the "Unknown sources" option. I believe AT&T removes it. For now, I use the android-sideload-wonder-machine. Please share with me if you know how to bring back the "Unknown sources" option.

robjbw

Dec 29, 2007
Got this from the" General" forum from "no clue". And it works.

------------------------------------------------
* I am not responsible if you brick your phone, but this is the easiest way, besides ADB shell comand.
** this step also work on At&t flipout

1. Root your bravo.
2. Install "RootExplorer".
3. Install "SQLite Editor".

4. Use "RootExplorer" take you to
/data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db/settings

5. click on the "Value" colum of "force_only_market_apps"
6. Press "menu" button and select "Edit Field"
7. Change "1" to "0", then save.

Now you have "Unknown sources" option available for you at "Application Settings". ( check it to enable non-market install directly from web or your microsd card )

Reactions: bandroidx and atz06

atz06

Jan 29, 2007
Added "Unknown sources" back to AT&T Bravo

* I am not responsible if you brick your phone, but this is the easiest way, besides ADB shell comand.

1. Root your bravo.

/data/data/com.motorola.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db/settings

Now you have "Unknown sources" option available for you at "Application Settings". ( check it to enable non-market install directly from web or your microsd card )

It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
I still need someone on 2.2 so i can update the app for 2.2.

When i release the update for 2.2 it will also have the ability to load on startup...

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
I have all the info I need for 2.2, update should be out this weekend. Will try to include auto load feature.

bandroidx

Feb 15, 2011
h0tzahapj

Got it working on froyo. Seeing 1404 on first run of quadran at 1ghz. stock voltage is 58 vsel on froyo but i am stable at 56 at 1ghz.

Will have a beta out soon.

http://yfrog.com/h0tzahapj

Reactions: djinn_y

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DL Link:
    Download the 2.2 version below, it also supports 2.1

Update 4/9/11:

I have uploaded the new version v1.1.2 - beta supporting Froyo 2.2 to the Android Market! It's a donate version, if you like this app and want to contribute to the continuing work on my bravo development please consider buying the donate version. It also gives you the ability to get easy updates. I will try to reward those who donate by releasing new updates like this 2.2 version to the market first and then releasing on here a couple days later.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bandroidx.bravo.overclock&feature=search_result

If you search for Bravo or Bravo overclock in the android market its the first to come up. Be sure to rate 5 stars :)

Update 4/14/11:

The free froyo compatible version of the app is here. The free version now includes ad's (basic admob banner - nothing too annoying) to support current and future development. Mainly you guys are helping me test which method works best for my future apps on the market. I want to see how ads perform compared to a paid version. Unfortunately ad's are paid on a per click basis (**hint hint**) not a per impression basis so we will see how they do.

Enjoy!

1. Root your bravo.

Only donate version on the market? Aww I don't have a credit card...I'll mail you 2 bucks though! :D

:D Thanks for all the hard work, and for letting me test.

And thanks for testing! I tried gtalking you before posting it to have you do a quick check of this version but your gtalk seems down, wont take any messages.
    @bandroidx

when do you plan to allow "set on boot?"

as soon as i finish the custom recovery I will go back to finishing that.