Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,129 Members 45,746 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[REVIEW / DOA SO FAR] Official Malata USB/LAN Adapter

Tip us?

it2steve
Old
(Last edited by it2steve; 9th March 2011 at 04:34 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132

DONATE TO ME
Default [REVIEW / DOA SO FAR] Official Malata USB/LAN Adapter

Just wanted to touch base to see if there potentially may be any interest in something like this? I have one on the way for review and to see if they even work with our gTab. Rumor was the price point was going to be around $20 - $25.

When I get it tested I will post the findings and see what you guys think!

[EDIT] - so far I can't get it to work. I've tried just throwing it in while it's on as well as having it powered down (like the dock) to allow the DNS to propagate. No dice so far. I'll check with the supplier to see if there is an app to make it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	536754   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB2.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	536755  
..... helping make the world an 'android friendly' place

ensign.fodder
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by it2steve View Post
Just wanted to touch base to see if there potentially may be any interest in something like this? I have one on the way for review and to see if they even work with our gTab. Rumor was the price point was going to be around $20 - $25.

When I get it tested I will post the findings and see what you guys think!
Interested in outcome but not really looking to buy. WiFi is solid enough and with existing dock if I need LAN (haven't yet) I have it along with the HDMI and other.

Thanks!
Wow that is an old sig - Probably from my Asus Transformer Running Clemsyn's Kernel OC 1.64 Ghz and Stock ROM.

shieb
Old
Thanks Meter 43
Default When would you use this?

I'm trying to imagine a time it would come in handy. Ideas?

wasserkapf
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Maybe it uses a kernel module that isn't included in your kernel. I don't know what ROM/kernel you are using (I use stock), but possibly the pl2303 module. If you have a Linux PC handy, you can check for some info. Before plugging it into the Linux box, open a terminal and run this command:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
Then plug it in, and see what it tells you. Use Ctrl + c to end it.

You can also check which modules are loaded with this command, new modules are at the top of the list:
Code:
lsmod
I also am not sure if I would ever use something like that. My ZT-180 came with something similar, but with a miniUSB end, and I have never found the need to even try it.

it2steve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 132

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserkapf View Post
Maybe it uses a kernel module that isn't included in your kernel. I don't know what ROM/kernel you are using (I use stock), but possibly the pl2303 module. If you have a Linux PC handy, you can check for some info. Before plugging it into the Linux box, open a terminal and run this command:
Code:
tail -f /var/log/messages
Then plug it in, and see what it tells you. Use Ctrl + c to end it.

You can also check which modules are loaded with this command, new modules are at the top of the list:
Code:
lsmod
I also am not sure if I would ever use something like that. My ZT-180 came with something similar, but with a miniUSB end, and I have never found the need to even try it.
I have an ubunu VM, I'll give that a try and keep you posted. Thanks!
..... helping make the world an 'android friendly' place

wasserkapf
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by it2steve View Post
I have an ubunu VM, I'll give that a try and keep you posted. Thanks!
Where hardware is related, a VM may not give the needed results. That is because a VM may use it's own drivers.

If you have an Ubuntu installation CD, you can boot that as a live CD. It will run only on system memory, so it may be a bit laggy. That will work just like an installed Linux system.

marc_spafford
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Any progress on this?

I am very interested to find a USB to ethernet adapter for my Gtab. I do a lot of networking with switchs and ISP providers. It would be awesome if this little USB device would work. Any updates?

simon-edwards
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Post probably driver related

This looks like one of the adaptors that have been around for the Wii console for a while.

Clemsyn's kernel has a bunch of USB drivers added that are removed (or are back level) in the stock Viewsonic kernel. I suggest that you give it a go.

Pershoot's kernel is a more involved process to select the bits that you want. So I'd start by trying Clemsyn's first.

goodintentions
Old
Thanks Meter 732

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shieb View Post
I'm trying to imagine a time it would come in handy. Ideas?
I have a dell laptop that I recently dropped. The wireless stopped working. Thankfully, everything else seems fine. I had to go out and buy a wireless usb adapter.

huppo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
>>I have a dell laptop that I recently dropped. The wireless stopped working.

Did you pop open the panel on the bottom and check to see if the little wifi riser card didn't just pop out of its slot?

May not apply in your case, but sometimes the Modem/LAN/Wifi is on a little card that plugs into a header on the motherboard. There's usually an access panel on the bottom to get at it - check that it's properly seated and all connectors are secure, etc.

You can also usually swap them out if they die. Check Ebay.