How to Set a Video as Your Boot Animation

If you wish to make your phone truly unique, you may want to consider adding a nice boot animation. … more

TWRP for Nexus 6 and 9 Available, Unofficial CM12 Alpha for HTC Explorer! – XDA TV

Team Win Recovery Project for the Nexus 6 and Nexus … more

Jolla Tablet Announced: The Second Sailfish OS Device

A little over a year ago, Jolla released its first smartphone with the brand new Jolla … more

Android One Devices Get Unofficial CM12 Port

Android One was initially announced right before Android Lollipop. By releasing these cheap, yet … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Android on DVP

OP SoulREX

11th April 2011, 11:08 PM   |  #11  
Flag Tychy
Thanks Meter: 7

95 posts
More
No, hd2 is with android, linux, meego, wm6 and wp7

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk
15th April 2011, 05:54 AM   |  #12  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 37

319 posts
More
Thumbs up
I for one would love to see a dual boot DVP, WP7 and Android.

Yeah, I have an Android phone (actually 2), and I love it, but I've also been playing with WP7 and it's great too. I actually have a DVP on order.

The big thing for me though is the hardware.

The DVP is a BEAUTIFUL phone, and I love the form factor. There's nothing else like it.

I think the next closest phone would be the BB Torch (outdated crap and no AWS), the Pre series (crap that HP will kill, also no AWS), or the Moto Spice (POS Android 2.1 with locked Bootloader)

I know it's not possible right now and I'll fully enjoy my DVP when it arrives.
I'm hoping that someone will be able to crack the DVP (wasn't GeoHot supposed to do it at Pwn2Own?) and since the Android Venue is supposed to be more-or-less the same hardware (minus the sweet keyboard), hopefully it will be possible eventually.
20th April 2011, 08:03 AM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 14

75 posts
I own a Galaxy Tab and would second this since someone brought it up. Before my Tab I was actually eagerly awaiting the DVP, mainly for its build quality and portrait slide-out QWERTY. Didn't get it in the end cos of the teething WP7 issues, and also because it wasn't even launched in my country till today; but I would have disregarded warranty issues and imported it if WP7 didn't have all those issues.

After using Android I realised it fit my usage pattern much better, but I'm still pining after the hardware of the DVP. Would be great to have the best of both worlds.
3rd May 2011, 12:33 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 85

253 posts
What is it with people getting defensive about the idea of having a Dell Venue Pro running Android? I had a Touch Pro 2 that ran Android, the HD2 runs Android and HD7, Sure I can always buy an Android device (which I do, I own a Droid Pro and a Nexus One) but the hardware on the Dell Venue Pro is probably some of the best I've had (Returned the phone after a few weeks due to it being WP7)
18th May 2011, 07:59 PM   |  #15  
Flag Toronto

319 posts
More
I've started a Bounty on Android on the DVP here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7#post13920817
Please, contribute if you can!
2nd June 2011, 03:59 PM   |  #16  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 0

42 posts
More
Yes, I also don't get why some people mind. I do own HTC Desire Z wich is great, but wow, the DVP is stunning! I love the way it looks and feels in the hand, and shockingly the keyboard is the best I've seen, even better than Desire Z's one. (shock)
There's nothing like it on the market, but WM7 is a deal breaker. That's why if someone ports Android on DVP, I sell my Desire Z in a heartbeat and go buy a Venue Pro!
So please, someone, do it!
6th June 2011, 03:41 AM   |  #17  
Flag Midlothian, VA
Thanks Meter: 13

229 posts
More
Anyone try the rooting technique for the venue on a venue pro yet..? I may when my replacement for this one comes. I have been playing with some Droid ROMs, and funniest thing things is lots of these Droid ROMs remind me of the Energy ROM with HTC sense on WM6.5.. so if I can get Droid on my DVP, I may ditch WM7 until Mango update.

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express
6th June 2011, 07:31 AM   |  #18  
Flag Toronto

319 posts
More
Why would a root exploit for android do anything to wp7? And how would you run it? All the root methods I'm familiar with are either all's (z4root, gingerbreak, etc) or require adb (superoneclick or manual methods), neither of which has anything to do with wp7

Sent from my Dell Streak running StreakDroid 1.9 by D.J. Steve
17th June 2011, 06:39 AM   |  #19  
Flag Midlothian, VA
Thanks Meter: 13

229 posts
More
Not owning a Droid phone wasn't sure if you could get the DVP to "connect to pc" screen and then run some kind of technique to install android on top.. I stopped hacking and generally screwing with my phones when is went from WM to WP

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express
20th June 2011, 01:51 PM   |  #20  
Flag Durham, Uk
Thanks Meter: 832

1,152 posts
Donate to Me
More
can someone have a laugh and try holding down vol up and connecting usb cable to dvp while its turned off- and the same with volume down see if computer sees anything show up - anyone who owns a streak5 will know why i ask it

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread