Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,727,987 Members 45,877 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Would you buy the Flyer if it shipped with Honeycomb?
Yes, a Tablet must have Honeycomb 44 44.90%
Yes, I will buy it and wait for the Honeycomb update 43 43.88%
No, will buy other tablet that ships with Honeycomb 8 8.16%
No, not interested in buying any tablet 3 3.06%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

[Q] [POLL] Would you buy the HTC Flyer if it shipped with Honeycomb?

Tip us?

bcmobile
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] [POLL] Would you buy the HTC Flyer if it shipped with Honeycomb?

I was wondering how many of you might be put off by the fact that the Flyer is shipping with Gingerbread and not Honeycomb - even though it will get Honeycomb later.

Appreciate the feedback.

MY GUIDES:
10.1v Root
10.1v Bootloader Unlock
MTP
Note: Im very slack at replying to PMs, since I live a busy life and as much as I love XDA, I rarely get a chance to get on it these days.
It's best to questions to the forums, as I may take a long time to respond.
Current Devices:
| Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v | Galaxy Nexus | Nexus 7 |
------------------------------------------------
Got DropBox?

marygladys
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I love the idea of the scribe technology, but considering how small it is and battery life....plus it is not shipping with Honeycomb and the price is going to be higher than comparable devices....

It's sad as I have owned only HTC phones. I love their quality.

The scribe technology I LOVE! I can see so many added benefits of this - especially in syncing with Evernote. I also see a benefit with those having children.

tasty-xda
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by marygladys View Post
I love the idea of the scribe technology,
There were some internal docs from either bestbuy or costco that were reporting a 10.1" screen edition as well later in the summer.

I'd pay top dollar for Scribe + 10.1". There is a serious dearth of handwriting systems for android. Now if we could just get an OCR input system (e.g. Graffiti for the old Palm PDAs). I've seen a demo of scribe, and it doesn't look like it does input analog>digital, maybe I'm missing something. Still better than nothing.

peacekeeper05
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
There was also one more interesting quip about Android 3.0 in Eldar’s article. According to him, if a hardware partner releases the tablet on Android 2.x version of OS, as per licensing agreement for Android 3.0, they are not allowed to update Android 2.x tablets to 3.0 version.

so if the news(rumors) are true, htc flyer won't be getting any honeycomb due to licensing issues?

source: http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/03/2...pgrade-to-3-0/

bcmobile
Old
(Last edited by bcmobile; 29th March 2011 at 10:35 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacekeeper05 View Post
so if the news(rumors) are true, htc flyer won't be getting any honeycomb due to licensing issues?

source: http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/03/2...pgrade-to-3-0/
I'd say that is probably just a rumour. I've not heard it from any other source. The article at unwiredreview is the only article that author has written and his dubious source of information is a Russian website that he links to

Also this from a far more reliable source:

Quote:
From @HTC
@Farhadinho Absolutely. We are committed to offering a Honeycomb upgrade as soon as possible after Flyer's release.
Edit: Whether or not Google are restricting froyo-honeycomb upgrades, it seems the Flyer has got the green light:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/HTC-F...gn=twitter_web

MY GUIDES:
10.1v Root
10.1v Bootloader Unlock
MTP
Note: Im very slack at replying to PMs, since I live a busy life and as much as I love XDA, I rarely get a chance to get on it these days.
Current Devices:
Got DropBox?

swedishcancerboi
Old
Thanks Meter 12
What's all the hype over Honeycomb? I mean, what features do you gain other than all the overhype of being "tablet optimized. "

From my experience with the Xoom, tablet optimized means crashes at will and won't run crap......

Tabbed on my Galaxy 987

bcmobile
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 92

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by swedishcancerboi View Post
What's all the hype over Honeycomb? I mean, what features do you gain other than all the overhype of being "tablet optimized. "

From my experience with the Xoom, tablet optimized means crashes at will and won't run crap......

Tabbed on my Galaxy 987
I agreee - I'd rather wait for a stable version.

The Xoom is a worst case scenario. Made by Motorola, released prematurely.

The main benefit I see from Honeycomb is apps which are designed to run on larger screens, instead or "over-inflated" phone apps

MY GUIDES:
10.1v Root
10.1v Bootloader Unlock
MTP
Current Devices:
Got DropBox?

noord453
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Great I can't wait, however....

I can't wait for this tablet to come to market. Ofcourse there will be things I do not like, one is the fact it is not a phone. It is a tablet, and I want a tablet also to be a phone. Since it has 3g enabled I think a phone application is not hard to install. Any ideas on this?

combat goofwing
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Was all for the flyer as I'm a massive HTC fan ,but just ordered the ASUS transformer as it suits my want for a tablet and the need for a net book for the kids and it has honeycomb already and has good reviews

LEEDROID DESIRE HD using XDA PREMIUM
HTC ONE In Silver , Nexus7 2012 and ASUS EPAD transformer

brilldoctor
Old
Thanks Meter 94
Won't be buying due to the fact that I already have a galaxy tab (Big Mistake!!) Although the design and ui of the flyer look good, along with the fact that htc are good with updates, and a lot of people I have talked too like the pen. Not sure about the onlive myself due to the fact that you have to use a onlive controller (what are you meant to do with the tablet if the controller is in both hands?)
Devices: Nexus 4, Asus TF300T

Old: HTC Wildfire, Samsung galaxy tab, HP Touchpad, HTC Sensation

If I have helped you please click the thanks button below or click here to give me more dropbox space

DO NOT PM ME ASKING FOR HELP!

Tags
flyer, honeycomb, htc, poll